Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: gar in flods fork one hell of a fish and tasty

is it best to go dwn stream or up? and after about a mile it seems like it gets alot shallower. has anyone fished the section that goes right after about 3/4 of a mile dwn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0311_hunter View Post
    is it best to go dwn stream or up? and after about a mile it seems like it gets alot shallower. has anyone fished the section that goes right after about 3/4 of a mile dwn
    I have only fished about 1/4 mile from both sides of the bridge. I seem to have better luck upstream in the faster moving water.

Post Thanks / Like

Went this morning, but was pretty limited as i just had my toes worked on and I cant get em in the water. I dont want a nasty infection. I managed a pipsqueak slam. One fingerling bass on a jig, some small crappie on a grub, and tiny sunfish that hit a shad rap as big as it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Went this morning, but was pretty limited as i just had my toes worked on and I cant get em in the water. I dont want a nasty infection. I managed a pipsqueak slam. One fingerling bass on a jig, some small crappie on a grub, and tiny sunfish that hit a shad rap as big as it was.
    It is getting very hard to bank fish there since all of the plants are getting so overgrown... They will really cut up your legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0311_hunter View Post
    I have always read that you should fish upstream. First of all, your lure is going against the current the entire team, which can give it an unnatural presentation. Also, when fishing upstream, all the mud you kick up just goes behind you instead of down in the area you are fishing. Thats my take on it.

Looks like several guys are putting in at seatonvill. Just a heads up, there are 2 more bridges you can access just a couple miles downstream. There is one on bardstown and I believe the other one is broadbent or broadrun rd.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard to fish walking upstream because fish in a stream tend to face upstream to look for food coming at them in teh current, and this way you come up behind them instead of lettin em see you comin. This is more important in clear water.

I believe you can also get in at Bells Mill Rd, but I am not 100% sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Walker, I think you could get in at Bells Mill Rd. but not sure where you would park. There is no pull off there so you would have to park on someone's property. There was someone on here a few years back that said they kayaked from Bells Mill to the Salt and they were dropped off. They asked one of the landowners if they coujld park there for a few minutes to access the stream. IIRC they caught a lot of white bass on their float.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the Floyds a lot and usually use curly tail grubs (mostly white). I've caught them from 8" to 20+. In fact, I've started carrying a tape measure with me just so I can measure some of the bigger ones I catch.

Also, I've had equal luck going down stream as much as going upstream from Seatonville--some days its great, some days its good, and some days its poor going which ever way I choose. I should add that I've floated my canoe as well as waded in both directions with equal results. But my favorite thing to do is to put in at Floyds Fork park and take out at Seatonville but that's an all day (12+ hrs) trip under the best of conditions if you're fishing.

As for a pool for gar, go up to Aiken Rd--especially if you have some sort of boat. Thats just one big pool. You can fish right there by the bridge but wading and walking the bank are kind of tough as the banks are real steep in that pool. That's where I went Saturday and saw several gar that I tried to snag with my lure (unsuccessfully).

Also, the pool after the creek crosses under Taylorsville Rd holds a lot of gar. I remember seeing what looked to be a hundred last year when my daughter and I canoed that section.

As for Broadrun, I've not had too much luck there. I'm sure if I waded far enough, the fishing would be better, but its real shallow right there and for as far as I waded downstream that day. And as for Bardstown Rd, I had some luck there when I fished it. I keep telling myself that I need to go back with my canoe but I haven't yet.

Post Thanks / Like

do u think if you fished wih worms and threw them in the current with no bobber so it looked natural and let them float into the pools you could do any good thats how i used to trout fish in maryland. or do you think the little fish would get it before any big fish think about it ive not had much luck catchn bass on worms.
    and feel free to give me any tips on lures and techniqes for catchn the diffrent species of fish and does anyone know where to catch cat fish in tthe fork and what is the best way and has anyone caught big cats there

Post Thanks / Like

If you use worms use the worms you can dig right there. Riverworms and sometimes if you find green worms will catch anything in the river,they carry a scent that only there mothers can stand. A good batch of greenworms you can smell on your hands for a week.Also check for horseweed worms and catalpas around the bank areas. Good luck Chuck