Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

extra large Otter Creek trout

I must have hooked a longtime holdover this morning. It measured 16 1/2 inches. I caught about 30 before 11 a.m. All fish were caught using a marabou style nymph fished under an indicator. I hooked the big fish deep and he was in no shape to be released. Since I wasn't going to waste him, I improvised a stringer using 10 pound test tippett material and a stick and went ahead and kept a limit of 6. I have some pics I will post up later.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: extra large Otter Creek trout

That makes my mouth water. Im gonna have to get me a trout stamp afterall i think.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one for sure Tim. Question is...hold over or bigger stocker. I know sometimes they will throw in some different class fish with the stockings. They used to throw in some big ones in stockings out west. WTG!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, it could be a biger stocker. The reaon I said holdover is that I have never seen them stock anything remotely of this size. Also, they stocked it in April and again in May on the day the place opened and Ft. Knox stock it upstream as well. I guess I will never know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

About four years back, I went to TC in late Oct just to get out of the house and do some FF. I knew that they had stopped the stocking back that Sept, so I was hoping for some hold-over fish. Well....I approached from above a long run along a high bank line...I was spotting for trout, and spotted a MONSTER!!! I thought it had to have been a carp or large sucker...but when I got closer, i saw the spots and jawline, and realized it was a monster brown. I dropped down low and went downstream, and approached the run quitely. Took two casts to get my glow bug on the right line....and WHAMO!!! It was on!!! She put up an amazing fight until she finally gave up. She was 27" and chuck full of eggs! And..yes...this was TC!!! Unbelievable! I was in shock and awe as I look her over and realizing at the time that I did not have a camera or a decent cell phone at the time (didn't think I would catch anything at TC worthy of a pic, lol)...I took a long mental pic and let her swim away. I have never seen her again...I hope she survived the numerous hot summers and floods over the years...who knows...but man did she make a memory that I'll never forget! I figured that the KDFWR must have planted her in hopes of some reproduction effforts or something? Either way, I'm glad they did!

-Rich

-Rich