Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland Fish Kill

Does anybody have a opinion on whether Lake Cumberland will have another fish kill like last year. We had a tremendous amount of rain and they have been pulling the lake down pretty hard. I am worried that the cool oxygen enriched water will be gone by the end of summer and we will experience another massive fish kill. I Hope it does not happen like it did last year, but I can not see it from not happening again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Cumberland Fish Kill

Yes it will happen again. the only way it won't is if we have a wet and cooler than normal summer. I personally think that is not going to happen. If the Corp doesn't hurry up and fix that dam, the lake might as well just give up....

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that LC water temps are already @ 88 degrees! At this rate, there will be an even bigger kill this year, than last year IMO. Sad.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

They still have 15 more feet to drop the lake. The current water temp at the State Dock is 84.5 degrees. If anything this year is going to be worse than the previous years, especially since we went from mid 60 degree days to mid 90 degree days already and it is only early June!

Post Thanks / Like

it WILL happen. cool water species are not going to have the oxygen content to survive. I agree, expect it to get worse before better. striper fishing will continue to suffer with loss of the bigger fish.

Post Thanks / Like

walking out the door in a few to go catch shad ....each night when you get the shad out of the net they are WARM (hot) to the touch....its just june....kinda like starting behind the 8 ball

but heres crossing our fingers eh

Post Thanks / Like

Not only the lake but the river below will probably experience some serious problems too. The water coming out now is nearly 58 degrees which is only 7 degrees away from the "boiling point" for the brownies. There will be a lot of hot dead water coming out the gates before too long. It's a serious shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider View Post
    Not only the lake but the river below will probably experience some serious problems too. The water coming out now is nearly 58 degrees which is only 7 degrees away from the "boiling point" for the brownies. There will be a lot of hot dead water coming out the gates before too long. It's a serious shame.
    good point...

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I agree with all.

So, the state law ought require you to empty your cooler ice in the lake before coming to the dock to ramp out.

Everybody, turn on your bait well aerator, while pumping lake water into and overflowing it back out to the lake.

Everyone put a 3/4 inch v shaped ding in one prop blade, so on plane we'll do some aerating.

Fart in the water!

Makes me crazy to worry about things I can't fix. Good lord let me see the lake in is magesty, I hope he gives me time to see it after it regains its wind.