Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrids at Nolin lake?

Talked with a friend of mine today and he fished a bass tournament at Nolin a couple weeks ago. Said he was throwing a 6" swim bait and thought he tagged into an 8lb lg. mouth. This is a very avid tournament fisherman and very well respected man in the Hardin County area. If I posted his name a lot of you would know him. Anyway it wasn't a lg. mouth once landed it turned out to be around an estimated 9lb. hybrid stripe! Not a white bass as that would of probably been a record. No reason to doubt this guy as I've know him since grade school. And he knows his fish. We're just wondering where this thing came from. Anyone else heard of hybrids in Nolin?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hybrids at Nolin lake?

My neighbor down there told me 3 weeks ago that they were recently stocked in Nolin but I haven't been able to find anyone/anywhere that could confirm such. Even if they were, a 9lb hybrid would've had to have been stocked looooong ago. My neighbor tends to believe anything he's told, so I have written it off as BS. Interesting though if one was caught....might have been "transplanted" by someone from Barren or Rough?

Post Thanks / Like

When the water was still coming out wide open at the tailwaters, I caught a few down there that would go 6 or 7 pounds. First and only time I have ever seen them there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger492 View Post
    My neighbor down there told me 3 weeks ago that they were recently stocked in Nolin but I haven't been able to find anyone/anywhere that could confirm such. Even if they were, a 9lb hybrid would've had to have been stocked looooong ago. My neighbor tends to believe anything he's told, so I have written it off as BS. Interesting though if one was caught....might have been "transplanted" by someone from Barren or Rough?
    You may want to believe him. I totally trust in what this guy has to say and have no doubt that he did indeed catch it. When stocking fish the sometimes release a few bigens'. i spoke with another source and he to said like your neighbor that they are stocking Nolin.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be...I won't complain if so, just sayin' that no where on any KFDW site or info I can find does it say they have ever been stocked in Nolin. If the jumps start anytime soon, we should begin to find out since I would assume they would mix with the whites/spots/LM and herd bait just like those do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger492 View Post
    Could be...I won't complain if so, just sayin' that no where on any KFDW site or info I can find does it say they have ever been stocked in Nolin. If the jumps start anytime soon, we should begin to find out since I would assume they would mix with the whites/spots/LM and herd bait just like those do.
    Talked to my local game warden about it today and no there are no stockings of the hybrid stripe in Nolin. He's heard reports of hybrids being caught in Nolin. Didn't seem surprised as the high river levels this spring probably had them wander into Nolin from the exceptionally high river levels this spring. Logical enough case closed for me.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Have caught them sporadically in Nolin since we first started boating there in 1994. Don't mean to imply with any consistency. Sometimes have gone a year or 2 between dumb-luck hookups. I really wish they did stock the lake with them. Tired of chaisng white bass jumps when the Hybrids are far more fun.

Post Thanks / Like

jacob warren

I caught one last Saturday off a point back in conoloway on a 6xd. They are there!

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be possible that they came from Taylorsville via the Salt river and the many creeks that come from that way, I just Goolegled the Nolin river and I did not realize that it was that long, so they could have come from anywhere and also they could have got mixed in with the walleye stockings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Headrick View Post
    It could be possible that they came from Taylorsville via the Salt river and the many creeks that come from that way, I just Goolegled the Nolin river and I did not realize that it was that long, so they could have come from anywhere and also they could have got mixed in with the walleye stockings.
    I caught one back in June in the jumps , was not big but it had the broken lines ,,,, I know what they look like I have caught hundreds at the falls of the Ohio over the years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Talked to my local game warden about it today and no there are no stockings of the hybrid stripe in Nolin. He's heard reports of hybrids being caught in Nolin. Didn't seem surprised as the high river levels this spring probably had them wander into Nolin from the exceptionally high river levels this spring. Logical enough case closed for me.
    Agree totally , I have caught one in June ...... I just hope those **** Asian Carp never make their way in there ...It would be bad

Post Thanks / Like
    1994-1997, We caught them regularly, 1 or 2 per trip, when drfiting downpoled or or freelined shiners, and occasionally when we drop shotted live nightcrawlers aimed at Walleye. Seems like after that we just never did dumb luck into any anymore.

I'd love to see jumps of hybrids at Nolin, along with the whites. I just think it would add one more attraction to the lake.

Question: Could Nolin sustain Stripers? Seems several southern warm shallow lakes have good populations. Why not Nolin?