Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Operation Dry Water - Law Enforcement

One liners:

1. I agree with the guy with the superman logo (can't spell his name) cause driving anything under the influence is dangerous to all, not just the operator.

2. The thought the KDFWR would not check boats because they look to be in a tournament would be a specific example of uneven enforcement. Another example would be lets stop the Corvettes for potential spending and let the mini-vans hit the school zones at 90 mph.

3. The thought that anyone can be cited for a violation of law, with out tangible and credible evidence that would support a reasonable assurance of a court outcome, to me, is just the equalivnace of unlawful detention and malicious prosecution. A good lawyer or two and several law suits might go far to reverse that trend.

4. It rained a lot at Nolin today, and there were no jumps anywhere from Wax to Moutadier. Bull bluegills were hitting nightcrawlers tight to structure at just 4-5 feet deep, Bass 12-15 inches long were doing the same, and the blue catfish were following suit.

Oops....sorry for the last one. Didn't mean to sneak fishing stuff in here.

And they were one-liners until the automatic word wrap kicked in.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW am i the only one here that likes to go out fishing relax have a beer or two and enjoy fishing? this is all about the money.. i'm not saying go out and get falling down drunk our nothing.. but if me and a friend wants a couple beers while fishing who's it hurting? it is legal to buy right? as far as renting a houseboat on the holler we do it evry year , it's our vacation.. me the wife and another couple split the cost in the off season and it's reasonable... were not rich by no means.. just a couple blue collar Union workers that a few here love to bash.. i work shift work and have for 31 years.. our idea for vaction is a houseboat trip.. we tie up to the bank relax drink a couple beers and fish off the back.. we don't leave our spot till were ready to come home.. so now big brother will bring this to a halt.. hows the marinas going to stay afloat when this gets into full swing?? and it will.. they had trouble with a few game warden at green a couple years back the marina owners had to go to frankfort to have them back off alittle... now it sounds like they have the green light now.. i can see the dollar signs now.. just my opinon.. again i'm not for getting drunk but a couple beers come on!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Some more BS!!! Why should a tourny fishermen get a glance and I an inspection? I have my jacket on. I'm fishing artificials. I'm casting or trolling, obe4ying all visible laws and that warrants scrutiny?That reasoning art is flawed.

Post Thanks / Like

R82 I dont see nothing wrong with having a few cool ones while you are anchored or tied down.But I have seen tied down house boats with a couple of run abouts and several jet skis tied to them also, while they were partying,again, if they are stationary, fine, but what happens when the guy wants to water ski, or jet ski after having one to many?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    R82 I dont see nothing wrong with having a few cool ones while you are anchored or tied down.But I have seen tied down house boats with a couple of run abouts and several jet skis tied to them also, while they were partying,again, if they are stationary, fine, but what happens when the guy wants to water ski, or jet ski after having one to many?
    I say throw the book at them... you don't need another law or a cool name like "operation dry water" to arrest them there's already a law against that.. you remember click it or ticket? there making a killing on that up here in northern ky... 400 plus here in florence.. and brag about it...

Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight... you guys dont want laws enforced that make our waterways safer? Right....

This operation is just a push to stop intoxicated driving. I am all for them running down boats and giving breathalizer tests all day long. They arent violating any rights, they are just trying to stop the stupidity. As far as I am concerned there is no room for alcohol in a moving vehicle. If you open a beer and the boat isnt anchored... you should go to jail because you are now endangering my safety. If you want to anchor and have a few.. fine. But if you pull anchor and are feeling even the slightest bit tipsy... you are no better than a DUI driver.

I for one will be out there that weekend, and will have a few thank you's for our law enforcment for being on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the topic, its always great to hear when some added attention is being applied.
    Maybe 911 cell phone call as the lakes become more an more cell phone friendly will help us all out. I encourage everyone not to forget this tool.
    Maybe we get a run around maybe we get a no service response, maybe we save a life

Ky Trophy Fish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    The boat owner one time had a state officer get on the boat after he clearly warned him about his registration and that the Coast Guard was the only one who could board without reason. As the officer boarded, the boat owner took pictures; the officer got really upset and nervous about the situation at that point. The officer backed down, abandoned his check, but did manage to write out a littering charge to one of the guys on board - he tossed a cigarette butt in the water without thinking while it was all going on.

The boat owner explained to me that in such a situation, the KDFWR can make the vessel stop, but cannot board. They can hold the vessel until the Coast Guard shows up, but that's about the limits of their authority with such a registered vessel.

[COLOR=#003366]IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?[/COLOR]

No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#22

Read the part about subject to state laws.
    Last edited by Ky Trophy Fish; 06-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Trophy Fish View Post
    [COLOR=#003366]IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?[/COLOR]

No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#22

Read the part about subject to state laws.
    You are correct, but it's not an issue of following state laws - it's an issue of them boarding the boat. If KDFWR witnesses a violation, then they can by all means write a citation, but they may not board the boat for random inspections.

Show me the part where it discusses boarding the boat....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Some more BS!!! Why should a tourny fishermen get a glance and I an inspection? I have my jacket on. I'm fishing artificials. I'm casting or trolling, obe4ying all visible laws and that warrants scrutiny?That reasoning art is flawed.
    They are more likely to pull someone over in a bass boat that's riding along without a lifejacket on than someone who is wearing one. Most tournament rules require you to wear a PFD anytime the big motor is running. I feel like they know this and normally let the guys wearing PFDs go on. I certainly would not want to be flagged down on the way to weigh-in for a random check and be late...

Now if you are fishing, then they really have no idea at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the main issue about Opertaion Drywater is that the operator is sober.

As with any time out drinking, always designate a driver.

Post Thanks / Like

[
    Show me the part where it discusses boarding the boat....[/QUOTE]

By the above, do you mean "show me where it says they can board the boat"?

Can you point out the statute or regulation that says they cannot?

I just took a cursory look at the link containing general information, I did not look at the entire "Documented Vessel" body of law. Maybe you have looked at it more carefully Can you point out the provision that prohibits state officials from boarding? I'm just curious, but I find it hard to believe State Law enforcement could be prohibited from boarding a vessel in its jurisdiction.