Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

dead asian carp every where and swiming belly up

i went fishing on the salt and ohio river were the meet and i saw alot off big silver asian carp awiming upside down and then going back down are they dying for some reason. i saw one belly up for about 5 min close to shore and snaggedd it with my bass pole it didnt even put up a fight i used it for cut bait it was over 3ft. and i saw dead ones all over the shore appeard to be washed up and also saw alot of dead ones floating down the salt and acouple of buffalo. why were they swimmin upsidedwn and whats killing them dont getme wrong im glad there dying but could the pollution in the river be the culprit? and when i cut it up there ws a ton of whitemeat on them has anyone eatin one

Post Thanks / Like

Re: dead asian carp every where and swiming belly up

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a One the other day.. But can we say good riddence?

Post Thanks / Like

and people eat fish out of there...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it mainly killed the asian carp they need to find out what chemical it was and put more in the river and maybe use it every where asain carp have taken over as long ass it dont kill all the other fish along with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0311_hunter View Post
    i went fishing on the salt and ohio river were the meet and i saw alot off big silver asian carp awiming upside down and then going back down are they dying for some reason. i saw one belly up for about 5 min close to shore and snaggedd it with my bass pole it didnt even put up a fight i used it for cut bait it was over 3ft. and i saw dead ones all over the shore appeard to be washed up and also saw alot of dead ones floating down the salt and acouple of buffalo. why were they swimmin upsidedwn and whats killing them dont getme wrong im glad there dying but could the pollution in the river be the culprit? and when i cut it up there ws a ton of whitemeat on them has anyone eatin one
    My guess is this would explain it. Chemical spill in rubbertown.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...=2011306150123

Now if we could find out what that chemical was and be assured no other species were affected (they said they took samples from fish) then would have a solution to the Asian Carp problem.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by first2fish View Post
    Well if it mainly killed the asian carp they need to find out what chemical it was and put more in the river and maybe use it every where asain carp have taken over as long ass it dont kill all the other fish along with it.
    I second the motion. Mission accomplished, problem solved. Doesn't sound like a problem to me, it sounds like a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

They are considered a very good eating fish in asia. Problem is they have no preditors to check their population here. The second problem is that most people associate them with our local carp here and do not want to eat them. But from what i understand they are a very good eating fish. There is a push along the mississippi river to develop a market for them as a commercial eating fish.

A really big net would solve our problem with starving cats in this country. Where is PETA when you need them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes considered good eating in asia,one of the reasons its here some asians wanted to be able to eat them here so imported,more or less same thing with snakeheads.
    While the snakehead gave the potomic a fighting fish,it is invasive,they however dont attempt to commit hari kari on your boat or you merely because you motor by.
    And from what I recall an Illinois plant does make cat food out of them.
    As for eating ohio river fish,lol fish advisories up the yin yang.Used to fish the ohio a lot but moved so could eat fish.Ohio river valley should be renamed chemical alley.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the asian carp was imported to control grass and alge in the commercial catfish farms in the south. It was a flood that released them into the mississippi river.

Post Thanks / Like

yer rite on kydonkey! They were brought to control algea in catfish ponds, and a flood freed them. Another good idea shot down, same thing with thew lady bugs brought here to save trees for the logging industry, till they multiplied out of control and began invading houses.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Its a plot. Asian carp are terrorist fish. They were planted here to destroy our recreation, so we would be grumpy and non-productive at work, and as a result cause the whole US economy to fall apart and ruin America. And I am not paranoid, these fish are just out to get us. That's why their eyes are on the bottom of their heads. It's so they can see our bodies better once we sink to the depths of the river. Don't believe me? Next time you catch an Asian carp, ask it for ID, a SSN card, or a state issued drivers license. Ask for their green card to show they are legal immigrants. I have never gotten a straight answer from one of these fish. They just sit there with their mouths open, sucking wind, and staring at me with eyes that never blink.

Instead of KDFWR, I think it's an immigration problem, and the US Border Patrol ought to have to get rid of them.