Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A good beginner baitcaster

A friend of mine wants to get in to bass fishing and wants a good cheap baitcaster to start out. Any suggestions?? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A good beginner baitcaster

Pinnacle Deadbolt is 39.99 at Dicks. I have had mine for over a year and caught a lot of fish with it and it's still going strong. You can't go wrong with a Black max either but they are 59.99.

Post Thanks / Like

A used basspro extreme or the black max. May as well start him with a lefty model so he won't have to switch hands after each cast, esp if he has used a spinning rod before.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Diawa Strikeforce I bought to let friends use when we go fish, it was only 50$ at BPS. It handles almost as well as my Pro Qualifiers, I'd definitely recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Black max isnt a bad start for a beginner. Although I will say there is something to be said for starting out on a nicer reel. Typically the braking systems **** on cheap reels leading people to get frustrated easy. Spend $100 on a Pro Qualifier and they will learn faster and get frustrated slower. And then they dont need to move up to a nicer reel later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't go cheap, tell him to buy the best he can afford. He can get a used Curado for between $55 and $80 which is a far better reel than a $50 to $80 new reel and he won't have to buy another one for a long time. Watch the community tackle box and someone will sell one soon. You might ask C. North on that forum if he has any. I've never had any malfunctions on anything I bought from him

Post Thanks / Like

And the left handed model is a good idea, but they are harder to find. I know several very good bass fishermen, who stay with spinning tackle only. Personally I use spinning 90% of the time, The only advantage I have found is no twirling crank baits, and that has diminished withy the advent of braided line. Its the skill not the tool that counts.I could have a number 24 red jersey, stick out my tounge, and not dunk a basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quantum in my opinion is by far the best reel for the money.
    They make great products. I have had several reels for years and the newer accurist burner and PT series are great. They are smooth, their drags are smooth and there is no slop in the reels at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    Quantum in my opinion is by far the best reel for the money.
    They make great products. I have had several reels for years and the newer accurist burner and PT series are great. They are smooth, their drags are smooth and there is no slop in the reels at all.
    I partially agree here. If you spend the money and get high end quantums, they are great. But I have never bought a quantum for under $100 bucks that didnt end up in the trash within 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Something to said for all new is nice,used is great to try out sometimes a bargain sometimes not,but new cheap reels last about a year.
    While i have a vested interest heres two used bass pro reels.
    Scroll down to bottom of page. http://www.freewebs.com/kylaketn/forsale.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I say never start a new guy out on a CHEAP baitcaster, bad idea. Get a good to better one so he won't get discouraged and give up, just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I say never start a new guy out on a CHEAP baitcaster, bad idea. Get a good to better one so he won't get discouraged and give up, just my two cents.

Tell him to seriously look at the new Lews speed spools!!!! you can find them for $89 and they have 10 bearings and they are casting machines!!!!! I have Curado's, and Revo STX and this reel casts as good if not better!!! Lews reels are historic for being workhorses and I have now bought 3 speed spools to replace the remaining Johnny Morris reels I have. JMHO