Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

walking on fish at the falls of the ohio

i went to the falls this morning and as i walked out across the rapids i founsd mysaelf walking threw clusters of fish mainly drum but there was alot of gar and catfish as well i actually steped on alot of them thats how thick they were at some spots why do they do this and are they always like that where the water rushes out i even grabed a big gar and a 10lb catfish for fun just to say i did it. if i didnt see this for myself i wouldnt have believed it. i saw one guy that had at least 30 fish on a stringer all drum and cats i cant believe he was gonna eat them drum he said it was for his fathersday fish fry i feel bad for those who attend lol jk!! i did pretty good i caught 4 strippers 2 were about 4lbs. and i caugght alot of drum and 1 15in smallie!!! i saw guys pulling cats out left and right 20+lbs. i was a great day had alot of fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: walking on fish at the falls of the ohio

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0311_hunter View Post
    i saw one guy that had at least 30 fish on a stringer all drum and cats i cant believe he was gonna eat them drum he said it was for his fathersday fish fry i feel bad for those who attend lol jk!!
    I've heard some say that if you boil that drum meat, it'll taste like shrimp. I've never tried it, kind of find that one hard to believe...but then again it's saltwater cousin, the Redfish drum, is pretty dang tasty.

I have eaten gar before - a Cajun friend of mine mixed it into like a hush-puppy type mix of some sort and it was delicious! Told me had to rake the meat off of the fish with an ice cream scoop since they are so bony.

I wonder how many people you've sent to the Falls now after posting this! Ha ha ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I've heard some say that if you boil that drum meat, it'll taste like shrimp. I've never tried it, kind of find that one hard to believe...but then again it's saltwater cousin, the Redfish drum, is pretty dang tasty.

I have eaten gar before - a Cajun friend of mine mixed it into like a hush-puppy type mix of some sort and it was delicious! Told me had to rake the meat off of the fish with an ice cream scoop since they are so bony.

I wonder how many people you've sent to the Falls now after posting this! Ha ha ha!
    lol i know but they can take out all the drum they want. i make fried gar the other day it was very good i made it like crab cakes

Post Thanks / Like

I do not eat fish but I do love to catch them. I also am the one who cleans them and most of the time cooks them. if you filet the drum , for lack of a better term you can filet them shallow. To stay away from the blood vien and the guts is the trick. then I skin them as I filet them having a hose flowing also helps to carry off some of the fish oil that makes them taste,or smell bad.I have served them fried to several people from just about every where ad if they do taste a difference they never complain. another trick is to cover the meat in dry salt for ten to twenty minutes, then rinse them off with clean cold water and the fry them like any other fish. I season my flour with cajun spices so give it a try, who knows