Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bank access to Green River in Mammoth Cave NP?

Hi all,

I camped out with my wife and daughters at Mammoth Cave this past weekend, and we had a good time despite the nearly continuous rain. We never made it out fishing, however.

I talked with the operator of the Green River Ferry about bank access near there, and he said there wasn't much, just one trail close to the ferry.

For those of you familiar with the area, can you tell me if there is good bank access near Houchin's Ferry? We never made it over there, but I'd like to camp there next time.

Thanks you all!
    Last edited by KentuckyBristle; 06-21-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: gobbledy gook!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bank access to Green River in Mammoth Cave NP?

Not really much access at the camp ground, the banks are too steep. But, brownsville has a city park, by the river, and a small boat ramp, with good access. It's by a small creek that runs in it, and some people have caught several muskies out of the creek mouth. The ramp and park are about 1-2 miles from the camp ground at houchin ferry. Tr

Post Thanks / Like

When you cross H-Ferry heading away from Brownsville, about a mile and a half up the hill there is a old cemetery. I've parked there and gone left from the direction you came from toward a pond called First Creek Lake. It's close to a bend in the Nolin River. We've day hiked this and caught some bluegills. The pond was sort of weed choaked and not real productive. This is in Park land and you might be able to get a back country camping permit to camp overnight, you'd need to check with one of the rangers for this. We used to backpack all over the back reaches of Mammoth Cave Park. Lots of great land but very rough getting down to the Green River near any flats.

BTW, watch out for tick and hornet nests, YEOWWWWWW

Post Thanks / Like

Turnhole Bend Trail leads down to a good area to bank fish. If you feel like gettin wet, you can wade/swim across the river to the big gravel bar and have a very large stretch of bank from which to fish. I suggest renting a canoe next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your responses...now I know not to expect to be able to fish from the front flap of my tent!

Post Thanks / Like

That section of Green makes an awesome canoe trip. You can rent canoes and find a camping spot along the river. You can then fish up and down from the canoe..

Post Thanks / Like

There is bank access at the far eastern edge of the park on the south side of the river. I forget the name of the access point but I have seen it across the river from the campsite at the end of the Big Woods trail.

First creek lake dries up during periods of moderate drought. And is quite a hike from the trailhead up from Houchins Ferry.

Also you can try around the other ferry.

There are really no great bank fishing spots as the park is quite undeveloped. I have floated from Nolin's tailwaters to Houchins ferry on an overnight trip. We camped at second creek in the floodplain but didn't do any good fishing.

I recommend a canoe or kayak trip to fish the rivers.