Search Fishin.com

Thread: Otter Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Otter Creek

I am off work Friday and I am considering trying Otter Creek for the first time. Anyone have any advice on where to wade and what baits to throw. I figured spinners and rebel crawdads would be a good start. Is there a trick to catching the trout?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otter Creek

If you are after the trout and are spin fishing I would definitely try some inline spinners. Your Rebel Craws will work for smallies and I would also throw some type of soft plastic. Heck something as simple as a curly tail grub on a small jig head should catch a couple of smallmouth. If it were me, I would get there early in the morning and try and hit some of the good stuff close to the parking lot early. Once the crowds arrive move downstream from the parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    I am off work Friday and I am considering trying Otter Creek for the first time. Anyone have any advice on where to wade and what baits to throw. I figured spinners and rebel crawdads would be a good start. Is there a trick to catching the trout?
    Best place to start would be check the water level as its up 4 ft. at the present time. Otter Creek washes out fairly easy. And with more rain in the forecast you may head elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I went down there after work yesterday and it was useless. The water is really muddy and flowing very fast. I did mess around for an hour but didn't even get one bite. Last week before the rain I went and threw a Mepps spinner for an hour and caught 4-5 rainbows in an hour. I'd probably look elsewhere for now. It rained again last night so the conditions are probably even worse today.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even think about the water levels. Anyone have advice on where else I could bank fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even think about the water levels. Anyone have advice on where else I could bank fish.
    If you want trout try Roundstone. Its a very large spring fed creek that holds trout down in the Millerstown area dumps into the Nolin river. Doesn't stay a mud mess very long. Huge spring that boils up out of the ground. Caught 5lb rainbow out of it years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    If you want trout try Roundstone. Its a very large spring fed creek that holds trout down in the Millerstown area dumps into the Nolin river. Doesn't stay a mud mess very long. Huge spring that boils up out of the ground. Caught 5lb rainbow out of it years ago.

Coombro, can you be a little more specific? I know where the 224 bridge crosses the Nolin river, right at 479. Where is Roundstone in relation to the bridge and Millerstown or Blessitt's? I am looking for some less-crowded trout waters to fly fish and. I live in Louisville but travel to my family's house at Nolin almost every weekend and day off so I'm in the neighborhood quite a bit.

Of course, if you give me the exact location on Fishin.com then everyone will know so I understand if you want to keep it vague.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pflyer View Post
    Coombro, can you be a little more specific? I know where the 224 bridge crosses the Nolin river, right at 479. Where is Roundstone in relation to the bridge and Millerstown or Blessitt's? I am looking for some less-crowded trout waters to fly fish and. I live in Louisville but travel to my family's house at Nolin almost every weekend and day off so I'm in the neighborhood quite a bit.

Of course, if you give me the exact location on Fishin.com then everyone will know so I understand if you want to keep it vague.

Thanks!
    No problem don't know the road names off hand so here I go. To get to the boil where the spring runs out of the water is a hike through private property and its "bushwhacking". Use to go there all the time yet some one built a house and they ran us off last time I was there. That was late 90's. only time I've ever been run off at Roundstne. If your coming from Upton to Millerstown you come to the store on the right before crossing the Nolin river. Take the road to the left at the store again before you cross the Noiln River. Head out that road I want to say 5 miles yet it may be 10? You will go down a big hill eventually and at the bottom come to a bridge which is Roundstone. Big pool at bridge and adequate parking. Hope this helps.