Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: pound for pound meanest fish????

I am going with smallmouth, most notably Dale Hollow smallmouth. These fish seem to fight harder than smallmouth out of other local reservoirs and I am not the only one who thinks this. It has to be habitat related because the smallmouth from Cumberland and Laurel are the same species.

I have caught Northern's before, but not enough to really compare them to others. Muskie I have caught out of two lakes and one river in Kentucky and would definitely rank them high on the list.

What about a Pumpkinseed? Could you imagine if those little suckers grew to five pounds?

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone that said bluegill must have forggotten there relative the mighty warmouth!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_0311_hunter View Post
    Everyone that said bluegill must have forggotten there relative the mighty warmouth!!!!!!
    Good call on the warmouth. Talk about Little Fish Syndrome. Its like the spike lee of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going with a river smallmouth. They are stronger and know how to play the current.
    Second would be a big bull bluegill. Third would be a hybrid striped bass.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Smallmouth!

Post Thanks / Like

This raises a very interesting point. A friend of mine caught an 18 inch striper while bass fishing and said the fish didn't put up near the fight that a 4 lb smallie put up. Well, it's completely unrealistic to expect an immature fish to compete with a mature fish of a similar size. You also must take the conditions into consideration. I've had a May 10 lb striper hit so hard they broke the butt of an heavy ugly stick! I've also had a May 20 lb striper run 80 YARDS up on a bank, back around the boat twice before it came undone at the boat (Heartbreak of all heark breaks!). Expecting that same fight now would be unrealistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's just an opinion not based on any facts. Gills don't get to be 15 pounds so how would anyone know how they would fight. I have fought saltwater fish shaped similar to gills that fight so hard it makes you smile. Now i have caught smallmouth less than a pound that dont fight as hard as a comparable sized smally. Any of the fish mentioned so far could be the winner. Good discussion for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Yeah it's just an opinion not based on any facts. Gills don't get to be 15 pounds so how would anyone know how they would fight. I have fought saltwater fish shaped similar to gills that fight so hard it makes you smile. Now i have caught smallmouth less than a pound that dont fight as hard as a comparable sized smally. Any of the fish mentioned so far could be the winner. Good discussion for sure.
    Very true, but it is fun to talk about.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: pound for pound meanest fish????

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Bluegill. Can you imagine a 10-15 pound gill?
    I believe it would have to be a bluegill - I know that is the only fish that has ever chased me out of the water while wading a 10 - 15 pound gill would be scary!

You'd never land one!

Post Thanks / Like

could you all imagine if we opend up a bar for our members al the fish stories you would hear. hey thats a good idea i would definatley go

Post Thanks / Like

I love the fight of the Kentucky Bass . . but the Smallmouth never ever gives up! You get a good size smallmouth on and to the boat . . about the time you think you have him . . . he will make a last ditch effort to get off and usually does when you least expect it!

Post Thanks / Like

the dog fish or sometimes called the grinnel... those dudes will hit hard and will not stop... ive broken poles over 5lbers ... im tellin ya ... these fish will pull pull pull and pull