Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: gar in mcnealy lake

Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    In my humble opinion, McNeely is a complete waste of time to fish. It is also known as an area for high volumes of drug trafficking, so if you walk through the woods back towards the dam, make sure you pay attention to who/what is around you. But like I said,I wouldn't waste any time there. I don't think the amount of time you would have to invest would be worth it, even if you caught a fish there.
    If that is so, maybe Bronson and I need to take a walk thru the woods and clean it up. Can't imagine a 12 year old future outdoorsman with this place as his only place to fish and he or she even having to be exposed to that which has destroyed many people, families, and now moving into the National state of welfare and laziness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    If that is so, maybe Bronson and I need to take a walk thru the woods and clean it up. Can't imagine a 12 year old future outdoorsman with this place as his only place to fish and he or she even having to be exposed to that which has destroyed many people, families, and now moving into the National state of welfare and laziness.
    Its a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    No redear and no good bluegill. I would advise everyone to stay off the water at McNeely! Particularly in May.
    i second that Tim !

Post Thanks / Like

i doubt there are any gar in that lake but everyone is right it's no good to fish but i've heard it actually does have some decent bass , bluegill and even some decent crappie if you get to know the lake and dont let the looks of the surroundings discourage you , never know what can happen when you give it a chance. as far as a "bad area" , its no worse than any other park in louisville, i grew up off cooper chapple rd and stayed there for almost 23 years. used to walk up there and fish every day for years when i was a kid. for anyone who lives near it and has seen it over the years , it has really came a long way since the 80's when it was really bad up there. im sure some know exactly what im talking about cause back then it was a real $&!% hole.

Post Thanks / Like

went last weekend caught 22 keeper bluegills 1 of them was a redear

Post Thanks / Like

fished there many times with my uncle, always at night, have had 30 bass nights with biggest going 5 plus. My uncle fishes there all summer and has done so for the last 20 years. Im not so sure i would bank fish there but i have had alot of fun under the black lights. But vehicle break ins have become so common at night that i quit going, bummer

Post Thanks / Like

Mcneeley is ok but just good enough to get your fishing fix when you can't go anywhere else.
    Putting in is usually fine because I always go there very early but taking out can get a little strange when you have to ask someone to move their chairs or reel in their snoopy poles so you can back down the ramp and get your boat out. Maybe it's my messed up karma or something but there always seems to be several fisherman fishing on the ramp when I am ready to leave that don't seem to realize they are fishing on the only place to take your boat out of the lake. Seriously I have gotten the stare down on a least a handfull of trips there when I have to pull the boat on the ramp right next to them because they would not move off it so I could get out.
    Last edited by gocards40; 07-08-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: It's 2am and I can't spell to begin with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BASSKING View Post
    i doubt there are any gar in that lake but everyone is right it's no good to fish but i've heard it actually does have some decent bass , bluegill and even some decent crappie if you get to know the lake and dont let the looks of the surroundings discourage you , never know what can happen when you give it a chance. as far as a "bad area" , its no worse than any other park in louisville, i grew up off cooper chapple rd and stayed there for almost 23 years. used to walk up there and fish every day for years when i was a kid. for anyone who lives near it and has seen it over the years , it has really came a long way since the 80's when it was really bad up there. im sure some know exactly what im talking about cause back then it was a real $&!% hole.
    I know this is an old thread but I just found this site and thought I would add my 2¢. I was fishing Mcneely last week and hooked a gar that was approximately 40" long. I got it to the boat and lost it while trying to get it onboard. I was using a 6" Megabait Charlie and that thing hit like a freight train. I was totally shocked it was in there.

I just started fishing McNeely last summer and had good success at night on frogs and buzzbaits. Lots of 2-3 lb fish and caught two 4 1/2 lbs in one night. I live in Valley Station and work in Danville so what time I have to fish I dont want to spend driving...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slimm View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I just found this site and thought I would add my 2¢. I was fishing Mcneely last week and hooked a gar that was approximately 40" long. I got it to the boat and lost it while trying to get it onboard. I was using a 6" Megabait Charlie and that thing hit like a freight train. I was totally shocked it was in there.

I just started fishing McNeely last summer and had good success at night on frogs and buzzbaits. Lots of 2-3 lb fish and caught two 4 1/2 lbs in one night. I live in Valley Station and work in Danville so what time I have to fish I dont want to spend driving...lol.
    i told you guys i saw gar in mcneely i dont lie i just imbelish the size of my fish lol