Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwing a cast net

Me and my ravlebreserdumbshoot%$ casting net.

I just can't get the hang of throwing it so it opens all the way. I've watched friends do it, seen multiple videos on how-to, but I can barely get it to open half-way. I'm practicing throwing it the well-off-redneck way, by throwing it into the swimming pool. I threw it right handed till that arm got tired, then switched to left handed. I think I'll try over handed and under handed next. I WILL learn how to throw the darn thing.

I end up with a "C" shape and all the weights on the same side as opposed to the perfect "O" shape it should be. What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Throwing a cast net

You can practice on the grass. Kind of hard to explain in a post. Better-more expensive nets are easier to open..like maybe 80 bucks and up for a 6-8- radius net. Betts makes some decent nets. Stay away from store branded nets. That is what I have now beause it was the only thing available at the lake that day and I regret it every time I unroll it. Some videos and instructions show guys holding the net in their mouth. I've never found that necessary in nets up to 8'..never tried anything bigger.

Might be easier to learn with a smaller net. The better nets will lay flat on the ground when spread out. Cheap nets nets will have a big bulge in the middle when spread out on the ground. I don't know what kind of net you have and am in no way suggesting you spend money for another one. You can certainly learn with any net. I would suggest to trying to find some body to show you how they do it. Larger nets with more weight per foot (over a pound per foot of radius) seem to be harder to open for me or require a different technique. The better nets are made with pie shaped sections so they lie flat. I think I started with a 3 foot radius net (that's just what I was given) and moved up to 6 and 8 radius. I think in 15 minutes somebody that knows how could have you throwing it to get it one half to three quarters open which is enough to catch bait. Once you learn how to that then the quality of the net (and better technique) will make a difference. With shinners at $15 per pound it will pay off.

If you are throwing it in shallow water (2-8) with rocks, re-bar and trash on the bottom, like in a river, use a cheap net becaues it will get torn up or lost and that's worse than not opening.

Stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck has been trying to teach me for years. Most things in fishing I pick up on first or second try, but I can't throw a net worth a crap, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post

I just can't get the hang of throwing it so it opens all the way. I've watched friends do it, seen multiple videos on how-to, but I can barely get it to open half-way. I'm practicing throwing it the well-off-redneck way, by throwing it into the swimming pool. I threw it right handed till that arm got tired, then switched to left handed. I think I'll try over handed and under handed next. I WILL learn how to throw the darn thing.

I end up with a "C" shape and all the weights on the same side as opposed to the perfect "O" shape it should be. What am I doing wrong?
    Tyme, you know there is a cheater out there. I have a net assist thrower that is like a frizbee with a handle. You load the net on the thrower and grab the handle. You trow the net out of the thrower much the same way you would throw a frizbee. The net opens fully and completely into the perfect O shape.

I looked at Bass Pro (where I got mine) and they no longer carry the same model as the one I have. However, the do have a net thrower that looks different than the one I have but in the description works much in the same way.

I do practice throwing it without the cheater, but I use the cheater when I just want to catch some shad/bait.

This is the one BP currently sells.

http://www.basspro.com/ProKast-Perfe...04590/-1649415

But the one I have does not attach to the net, you place the net on top of it and throw it out of the disc.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't throw one much anymore,but I used to all the time in Louisiana where you can keep fish,shrimp,and crabs to eat.You might start out with a 5 foot net until you get the hang of it.It's all in the release and practice makes better.
    I left the one here at the house dry out in the plastic box it came in and ruined it,I need to buy a new one,who carries a decent one? Bass Pro Shop maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the model I have. It appears they no longer make this model. Typical that when they have a product that works and works well some engineer has to "redesign" it to keep his job and end up ruining the design.

anyway here is a picture of the one that works that was on Ebay.

[COLOR=#0066cc]http://cgi.ebay.com/Cast-Net-and-Thrower-/260774212702[/COLOR]

This one is the "Net Master cast net thrower"

It is just a shame they stopped making this model, so easy to use and store. Hope mine never breaks.
    Last edited by kydonky; 07-01-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I watched several of the utubes on net throwing.

After watching those I think that the Net Master cast net thrower I have is worth its weight in gold.

It throws a 10 foot net perfect every time, don't have to bite or lick the net to get it started, just coil it up in the pan and throw it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Okay, you know I'm stupid.

Does it attach permanent to the net, i.e. when done, you store the net with thsi widget still on the net. Does that cause net storage problems.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

kydonky,

is there a video somehwere that shows how this thing works?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post

Why don't you post some videos of you practicing throwing that thing in your swimming pool for us to critique?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Okay, you know I'm stupid.

Does it attach permanent to the net, i.e. when done, you store the net with thsi widget still on the net. Does that cause net storage problems.
    The Net master version does not attach to the net. You just lay the net in the disk with weights spaced evenly. coil the rest of the net on top and trow it in frizbee fashion with the handle. (don't leg go of the handle). The net comes out of the disc in a spin to a perfect O shape.

Bad news is Bass pro does not carry this model anymore. You may watch ebay for one. the model is the "net master" thrower.

Bass pro now sells the prokast model. review indicate this model does permenately attach to the net. Don't know much about this model.