Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

cast and blast trip this fall

Colonel Myer and anyone else that is interested. I know we talked about this last year, but I am going to give it a real shot this year. Sometime in October I am going to spend a few days at the Gorge. Plan to take my longbow and a fly rod. Thinking about camping at Koomer Ridge and fishing Chimney Tops and also East Fork of Indian. Will be bowhunting around the Clifty Wilderness Area probably close to East Fork of Indian.

Anyone that wants is welcome to join me. I have a large tent, full camp kitchen complete with stove and coffee maker, lanterns and seven gallon water container. There can't possibly be anything better than sleeping in a tent, hunting with traditional archery equipment and fly fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cast and blast trip this fall

Batton down your food plan on hanging it in the trees, the bears are there. Camp site on Tunnel Ridge road was ram-sacked by bear past Sat. night during daylite hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Batton down your food plan on hanging it in the trees, the bears are there. Camp site on Tunnel Ridge road was ram-sacked by bear past Sat. night during daylite hours.
    Yeah, that is why I am thinking of camping at Koomer Ridge where we can just store everything in the trunk. Saw the bear signs this past March on East Fork of Indian. Saw tracks of one that appeared to come cross Forest Service Rd. 9B.

Post Thanks / Like

Car won't stop a bear. Saw documentary shows of black bears destroying locked vehicles to get to food. Ripped the vehicles to pieces and they got the food. Bear proof containers or hang it from a tree will be your best bet. Although the odds are probably in your favor you won't have an encounter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen bears break into a car at Clingman's Dome in the Smokies, but I don't believe they could break into the trunk. That is where you are told to store it at the camgrounds around the national park. You can't exactly hang a cooler from a tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Never made it to the Gorge in my years here in KY....wish I could have, sounds nice. You all have fun.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I have seen bears break into a car at Clingman's Dome in the Smokies, but I don't believe they could break into the trunk. That is where you are told to store it at the camgrounds around the national park. You can't exactly hang a cooler from a tree.
    Yeah that's what their saying. Guess that wire in the seat would keep them out of trunk plus cross braces, but if they gained access man that vehicle will be totally destroyed with them trying to get in the trunk from the inside. I've had my encounters with them bad dudes deep in the mts. They won yet didn't harm me. Can't say the same for my pack though. I use block and tackle to hoist coolers.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the damage they can do. I have spotted a few while fishing in the Smokies, but nothing scary. I did have a momma with cubs let me know that I didn't need to be fishing that section of the Rapidan River at Shenandoah National Park once.

We were hear when this video was recorded. This is not our viddeo, but we came down from the top to our car as this was going on and just found the video on you tube a couple of years ago. Pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great to me. My Pop recently purchased a "bear resistant" cooler. Sure he wouldn't object to me bringing it. Maybe bring the ol' .45 just in case... I'm looking to buy a long bow before the end of August so maybe I can have enough time to get good enough to make a solid kill shot with it. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated. Can't really spend more than $300 on it since I am poor. Looking forward to fishing Chimney Tops as well. Never made it up there. Longbow advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel,

I am thinking of going to Otter Creek instead. They will have the campground open and it will be catch and release on the trout. in addition, archery season for deer will be open there under statewide regulations. It is close to home and the trip would be a lot cheaper for me.

As for a longbow, my buddy owns a pawnshop in Hillview near the Bullitt/Jefferson county line. I was there today and he has a Bear Montana longbow for a little over $200. It is 55 pounds pull at 28 inch draw. If you are interested let me know and I could meet you out there and you could take a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

You bet I'm interested. The draw sounds perfect. I'll have to check my schedule tomorrow. Will let you know asap. As for the cast and blast, Otter Creek would be cheaper for me as well. Always wondered what it would be like to hunt there.

Post Thanks / Like

Colonel, I sent you a pm with my cell number, give me a holler.