Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

casting distance

Hey guys. Trying to get into deep cranking and know that I have to make very long casts.. I hear alotta people say they can cast a country mile. Not knowing what that is, I took a tape measure and marked off distances and started seeing what I could hit. I was hitting 50-60 yards with a SK series 6. Now a couple weeks later and I can barely hit 45.
    Also at 40 yards with 6xd on 10lb line I never hit bottom. On the bright side I don't lose any baits..
    Was just wondering if any of you had actually marked distances and saw how far you were casting. Also what set up are you using. Rod, reel, line etc. Any input wiould be appreciated.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: casting distance

Never measured the cast distance, but I can bump bottom at 16 to 17 ft with a DD22

I use 8 lb test mono, a custom built 7'-7" Castaway rod with micro guides, and a Quantum PT Tour Edition reel with 6.3:1 gearing

The Lews Speed Spool reel is actually a little bit better choice for getting distance. Mine fell apart though and I haven't replaced it yet. Those reels can cast a long dang ways - has more to do with the spool configuration than anything I think.

The trick to getting deep is to crank like heck while sweeping the rod hard at the start of your retrieve - makes the bait dive hard. Higher speed gears are the key for this. I like to crash the bait into the bottom, then slow the retrieve with a dragging motion bumping along and maintaining contact with the bottom.

Also make sure the spool on your reel is as full as you can get it. That always adds distance to your cast - when it's full, more line per revolution is spit out during the cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything Artcarney said...............I also "supertuned" my reels. Most lower end reels come cheap bearings, or even worse, plastic bushings.

I replaced all the bearings in all my curado reels with ceramic/closed bearings, and that made a HUGE difference.

Recently, I switched to Johnny Morris bait casters, and did the same thing......replaced the bearings in those reels with better, UPGRADED ceramic bearings, and BOOM.......

I get about 30% more distance with the newer bearings.

Also, keep the spools clean, full and running true. There are a few articles on the net about super tuning and one particularly talked about the spools and how the run on the reel. RIGHT were they touch the reel, they can build up gunk or have a small imperfection that will hinder performance. Remove the spool and use some good solvent to remove this gunk. If there are any nicks or burs on the spool side OR the matching reel side, gently remove those with some wet sandpaper. GENTLY.......you want to use very, very light sandpaper or maybe even a polishing compound. TOO much and you will destroy the reel.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

also the pro's say most crankbaits do in fact not go as deep as advertised. I use a 7 1/2 med feathercast with a quantum 381 supertuned as George said with 8 # pline fluorcarbon bumps bottom with all poes and dd22's as well. Don't reel too fast does more harm than good

Post Thanks / Like

artcarney is all over it......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Never measured the cast distance, but I can bump bottom at 16 to 17 ft with a DD22

I use 8 lb test mono, a custom built 7'-7" Castaway rod with micro guides, and a Quantum PT Tour Edition reel with 6.3:1 gearing

The Lews Speed Spool reel is actually a little bit better choice for getting distance. Mine fell apart though and I haven't replaced it yet. Those reels can cast a long dang ways - has more to do with the spool configuration than anything I think.

The trick to getting deep is to crank like heck while sweeping the rod hard at the start of your retrieve - makes the bait dive hard. Higher speed gears are the key for this. I like to crash the bait into the bottom, then slow the retrieve with a dragging motion bumping along and maintaining contact with the bottom.

Also make sure the spool on your reel is as full as you can get it. That always adds distance to your cast - when it's full, more line per revolution is spit out during the cast.
    I agree completely...

Art the speed spool your using is it one of the new ones? I have bought 3 and man they cast a mile!!!! If they are the new one what fell apart?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info here! Do you guys do anything to the bills of your baits, also?

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you purchasing these upgraded bearings?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spider04 View Post
    Where are you purchasing these upgraded bearings?
    Thanks in advance.
    http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...-Reel-Bearings

I get mine here, An old curado will absolutely come to life with the ceramics but mind you they aren't cheap. ABEC 7 or higher is best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...-Reel-Bearings

I get mine here, An old curado will absolutely come to life with the ceramics but mind you they aren't cheap. ABEC 7 or higher is best bet.
    Yea.........that is it.

I purchased a 10 pack for 50 bucks, I think.

These,. I think: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit726

Later,

Geo
    Last edited by GeoFisher; 07-08-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 old speed spools I still use. I love them for casting distance. I got a 7'11mh cumara cranking stick and tried a few reels on it a Calcutta, Curado, Pfluger, and a old speed spool and I ended up sticking with the old speed spool. The Curado did great also but the speed spool seemed to handle 15lb florocarbon better.

I know some people use 10 or even 8lb line but I do fine with 15lb deep cranking. I keep another reel with 10lb if I need it when I am doing alot of deep cranking but I rarely use it. The difference in going up in line size is only a few feet and usually I have no problem getting deep enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    I agree completely...

Art the speed spool your using is it one of the new ones? I have bought 3 and man they cast a mile!!!! If they are the new one what fell apart?
    I got it in maybe '03 or '04

First thing that came off was the emblem on the side...no biggie there since it was cosmetic. Next, something about the gears inside started slipping and would allow the spool and handle to spin backwards/free spin, it got worse and worse as time went on. I guess you would say that the anti-reverse went out on it. Probably could be fixed, but I just took it off and shelved it. It gave me 5 good years of deep crankin' - I guess all the pressure and strain on it just wore it out.