Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brooktrout

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brooktrout

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Yep, I heard that they are going to install a hidden camera at the cleaning Station !!! That would pay for itself in a Hurry !!!

Really Sad that it has to come to that ! Most Bait Chunkers just cannot be Trusted to follow the Rules !!!
    True...true...I really think that in general, most of them are just not educated enough in trout species to determine what they have caughten. A little education would be beneficial, like on Kentucky A-Field or something.

Either way, it is cool that they are doing so well in the CR! I fully expect to catch a 3+ pound brookie when I come back to visit!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Most Bait Chunkers just cannot be Trusted to follow the Rules !!!
    I resent that statement, as I and my grand children often fish with live bait and your statement that MOST (which implies all) bait fisherman "cannot be Trusted to follow the rules" is absurd. Where in the hell do you find information to support such a statement? I spend a lot of time on the Cumberland and talk to quite a few BAIT fishermann. Sure, some bait fisherman take over the limit, as do spincasters, as do fly fishermen. So, let's not be so quick to judge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    I resent that statement, as I and my grand children often fish with live bait and your statement that MOST (which implies all) bait fisherman "cannot be Trusted to follow the rules" is absurd. Where in the hell do you find information to support such a statement? I spend a lot of time on the Cumberland and talk to quite a few BAIT fishermann. Sure, some bait fisherman take over the limit, as do spincasters, as do fly fishermen. So, let's not be so quick to judge.
    I can't speak for Rocky, but what I think he is trying to say is that in this region of the country, trout are not abundant nor native. With the primary fishing game targeted being bass and panfish, most people around here simply do not recognize what type of trout they are catching, nor that there are different regulations for trout than the other gamefish in KY. This can lead to people (unknowingly) keeping browns and brookies under the slot limit. The generalization of "bait fishermen" comes from the understanding that most of us fly fishermen have basic knowledge in trout, and different species of trout...thus we are able to correctly identify the species and release it appropriately. Generally, most fly fisherman, including myself, are catch-and-release. This is another issue when dealing with trout and "bait fishermen", as trout caught in this manner nearly always die. I grew up bait fishing in Northern UT, and have nothing against it...although, I believe that bait-fishing in waters that have protective slot limits makes no sense, since you can not selectively target one species of trout over another...thus you may ultimately kill several under-slot browns/brookies simply by trying to release them after a swallowed hook. In all reality, the CR should be artificial baits only, much like numerous blue ribbon trout streams out west. The only exception to that rule on the CR should be the use of skip jack for stripers, and that's it IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Boone , Settle down or You will blow a gasket ! No need for Profanity ! I see a lot of them Myself make trip after trip to their Vehicle or Camp site and unload their catch and return to the River. Or Limit in the Morning, And then they Limit again in the evening ! In the same Fishin Hole ! I have never seen a Fly Fisherman that does that ! , Have You ?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Brooktrout

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I can't speak for Rocky, but what I think he is trying to say is that in this region of the country, trout are not abundant nor native. With the primary fishing game targeted being bass and panfish, most people around here simply do not recognize what type of trout they are catching, nor that there are different regulations for trout than the other gamefish in KY. This can lead to people (unknowingly) keeping browns and brookies under the slot limit. The generalization of "bait fishermen" comes from the understanding that most of us fly fishermen have basic knowledge in trout, and different species of trout...thus we are able to correctly identify the species and release it appropriately. Generally, most fly fisherman, including myself, are catch-and-release. This is another issue when dealing with trout and "bait fishermen", as trout caught in this manner nearly always die. I grew up bait fishing in Northern UT, and have nothing against it...although, I believe that bait-fishing in waters that have protective slot limits makes no sense, since you can not selectively target one species of trout over another...thus you may ultimately kill several under-slot browns/brookies simply by trying to release them after a swallowed hook. In all reality, the CR should be artificial baits only, much like numerous blue ribbon trout streams out west. The only exception to that rule on the CR should be the use of skip jack for stripers, and that's it IMO.

-Rich
    Well Said Rich ! I agree ! And I do still Bait fish Myself from time to time.And My Wife and Kids do as well ! But My passion is FF ! My point is just what you said , It will be hard to ever have a trophy CR again when everything they stock gets carried out whether it is legal or not !

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Boone , Settle down or You will blow a gasket ! No need for Profanity ! I see a lot of them Myself make trip after trip to their Vehicle or Camp site and unload their catch and return to the River. Or Limit in the Morning, And then they Limit again in the evening ! In the same Fishin Hole ! I have never seen a Fly Fisherman that does that ! , Have You ?
    Did Boone change his name to FlyLie?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Boone, I would like to add ! ( Take Your last line into consideration )

Let's not be so quick to judge !

You are reading more into My statement and adding that I " IMPLIED"

I did not imply anything ! I said what I meant when I said " MOST " !

That does not mean all ! That means there are exceptions ! I have good

friends and neighbors on the River ! and Family who I call " Bait Chunkers "

Who DO follow the rules !!! But the MOST i see out there are a Fishin to put

Meat on the table ! And they haul out everything they can !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was a bit over the top in my response. After re-reading the post, you did say most and I read in/interpereted it to be all and was qick to the trigger!. Let's just pass it off to my new pain med's which have me on edge like a 95 year old female on PMS!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was a bit over the top in my response. After re-reading the post, you did say most and I read in/interpereted it to be all and was qick to the trigger!. Let's just pass it off to my new pain med's which have me on edge like a 95 year old female on PMS!
    Man gary, sorry to hear that. It sure doesn't sound ike fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Brooktrout

No Problem Man, Sometimes I should keep My personal opinions and observations to Myself !

See ya on The River sometime !

Post Thanks / Like

Well hopefully you took your mydol by now. As for the original post, I was down there two weeks ago and caught over 40 brookies in three days. They ranged from 8 inches to one that was almost 15. Most fish were 11-12 inches.

Personally, I'd love to see a 20", one fish limit just like the browns. At the rate the fish are growing, it'll be a great brook trout fishery if dnr stays on top of it.