Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: top 10 fishing lakes in kentucky

You know, my person opinion, I would have to add the river to my list somewhere. Not for size, but numbers. Never caught a "giant" there, but the numbers I catch is just as good if not better than some lakes I have been too. It has always treated me fair.

It would be really hard for me to make a top 10 list because different places at different time of the year treat me differently.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

1 - Ky Lake
    2 - Lake Barkley
    3 - Barren
    4 - Nolin Lake
    5 - Green River
    6 - Dale Hollow
    7 - Cedar Creek
    8 - Lake Cumberland
    9 - Rough River
    10 - Willisburg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Nolin above Green and Barren, come on now.....For the weights it takes to win tournaments I'd think Nolin would be toward the bottom of that list...I think a lot of people will agree with this one

1.Kentucky Lake/Barkley
    2.Barkley/ Kentucky Lake....personal preference on which one you fish
    3.Green/ Barren
    4.Barren/ Green...depending on the time of year

I would think if you got the KDFW's rank of weights it takes to win tournaments throughout the year this would be your order
    You won't get any agrement from me about Nolin. I have fished all the major lakes in the state, and Nolin would be 4th under Malone, but they are close IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    Well I ment to put my bath tub at 57 it that tells you how much I like T-Ville.
    LOL. That is too funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    The last two years Beshear has had the nod from the KDFW for the shortest time to catch a fish over 5lbs, and the largest winning bags on the average.
    that place is great. I think Beshear should be on the list

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed Guist Creek is not on the list. As far as I know it is the only state lake on this list that doesn't have a slot limit on bass or
    a 15 inch size limit. There is another lake in Shelby County that has a 15 inch size limit and a 3 fish limit . These fish are
    protected from fishing pressure . Guist Creek's 12 inch size limit and 6 creel limit has taken its toll on the trophy fish population.
    The fact is Guist Creek has a lot more pressure than a lot of lakes with a size limit. There are more probably more tournaments on
    Guist Creek per year than boat launches on Lake Shelby in a year. I have fished Guist Creek for a lot of years. I think it is time
    for the FWS and the Shelbyville Industrial Foundation to get up to date with the rest of the lake requirements .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    I noticed Guist Creek is not on the list. As far as I know it is the only state lake on this list that doesn't have a slot limit on bass or
    a 15 inch size limit. There is another lake in Shelby County that has a 15 inch size limit and a 3 fish limit . These fish are
    protected from fishing pressure . Guist Creek's 12 inch size limit and 6 creel limit has taken its toll on the trophy fish population.
    The fact is Guist Creek has a lot more pressure than a lot of lakes with a size limit. There are more probably more tournaments on
    Guist Creek per year than boat launches on Lake Shelby in a year. I have fished Guist Creek for a lot of years. I think it is time
    for the FWS and the Shelbyville Industrial Foundation to get up to date with the rest of the lake requirements .

Just because a lake gets hammered with tournaments doesn't make it a top ten lake to fish. I would put Guist 125th on my list...I live less than 20 minutes away from there and would rather drive 45 minutes to the Ohio River and fish. If I knew where that one guy with bass in his bath tub lived, I would go there before Guist. I agree with you that the slot sizes and such aren't doing that lake any favors, but it's still not a top 10 lake to fish in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey this is a thread that basskid started. Anybody remember him?
    Maybe we should recruit him to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin

Last year in June someone had a 26lb bag to win a tourney

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Nolin above Green and Barren, come on now.....For the weights it takes to win tournaments I'd think Nolin would be toward the bottom of that list...I think a lot of people will agree with this one

1.Kentucky Lake/Barkley
    2.Barkley/ Kentucky Lake....personal preference on which one you fish
    3.Green/ Barren
    4.Barren/ Green...depending on the time of year

I would think if you got the KDFW's rank of weights it takes to win tournaments throughout the year this would be your order

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    that place is great. I think Beshear should be on the list
    I need to get back to Beshear and fish. I have only fished there twice, but I liked it both times.

Post Thanks / Like
    1-ky lake
    2-barkley
    3-Nolin
    4-barren
    5-rough
    6-Taylorsville
    7-green
    8-Ohio river

That's mine and don't say a word about 6 cause there is fish there you have to understand its fishing not everyday your going to load the boat.sorry

Post Thanks / Like

TOP 10 ...LIVED AND FISHED ALL MY LIFE IN ky..

Quote Originally Posted by basskid View Post
    can i please get a ranking of top 10 lakes in ky
    thanks
    1 Ky Lake = Only place in Ky., can you catch fish all day in 2ft of water when it's 95 temp.
    2. Barkly Lake = Only place in the state can you catch over 60 bass in a half day.
    3. Barren River Lake = a 10in. worm can catch keeper bass anytime of the year...good spots as well.
    4. Dale Hallow = could catch a world record...any species.
    5. Green River Lake = maybe the best kept secret for big smallies..big spots..and huge large mouths..beutiful lake!
    6. Lake Cumberland = Maybe the best small mouth lake in the state..
    7. Rough River Lake = great large mouth fishing early in year..and late fall.
    8. Laural River Lake = need to fish verticle...but giant black bass..and great smallmouth fishing
    9. Gueist Creek Lake = grew up on this lake..great when it's real hot..and real cold. There are 10 lbs in this lake.night fishing!
    10 Nolin Lake = up and coming bass fishing...great pre-spawn bass fishing!