Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Harrod's Creek Louisville

new to Louisville... i have heard Harrods creek is a good place to fish but am having a hard time finding places to park and get in... any help?
    Last edited by PHdryfly; 07-12-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Title Change

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harrod's Creek Louisville

If your fishing from a boat, the boat ramp in harrods creek is a private ramp. I always put in a Cox's Park there on river road west of harrods creek and drive down there.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks... no boat... i fly fish used to wading... have a canoe and kayak but prefer getting in, anywhere to put in upstream?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen canoes and kayaks launch here before:

Harrods Landing Yacht Club
    8804 U.S. 42, Prospect, KY 40059
    (502) 228-3639

The ramp is usually chained, but that doesn't stop them since they can carry their boats around it. Not sure what the ramp usage rules are or if you have to pay or not, since I have a bass boat and launch and Cox Park and motor up Harrods instead. Nice creek to fish, but I hear better things about Floyds Fork Creek though from waders and canoers.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive waded Harrods Creek from these three places in the past but its been several years so I cant say 100% its still ok to park there...

1: Hwy 329 (covered bridge road) and Locke Ln. Fish down stream for better fishing.

2: Hwy 1694 (Old brownsboro road) in between Hwy 22 and Hwy 329. This is actually the south fork of Harrods creek but still good fishing. Dont fish the dam, private property.

3: Hwy 1694 North of Hwy 329.

Ive made lots of good memories fishing these places.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i will try these...

Post Thanks / Like

Harrods would be rough to wade; I think it is too deep unless you go way upstream. I kayaked it Sunday; I did more kayaking than fishing. I caught one nice bass about two pounds; not much action but like I said I was doing more exploring than fishing.

Floyds Fork is great for wading. I don't think there is anywhere that is gets over five foot unless you step in a hole.

Since I bought a kayak; I gave up wading.

I also have had much more luck fishing at Floyds Fork. I don't know if there are any small mouth in Harrod's Creek; there are probably more small mouth than large mouth in Floyds Fork. I think the water is generally a bit cleaner at Floyds Fork; especially if you get in the spots where it is rock bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    Harrods would be rough to wade; I think it is too deep unless you go way upstream. I kayaked it Sunday; I did more kayaking than fishing. I caught one nice bass about two pounds; not much action but like I said I was doing more exploring than fishing.

Floyds Fork is great for wading. I don't think there is anywhere that is gets over five foot unless you step in a hole.

Since I bought a kayak; I gave up wading.

I also have had much more luck fishing at Floyds Fork. I don't know if there are any small mouth in Harrod's Creek; there are probably more small mouth than large mouth in Floyds Fork. I think the water is generally a bit cleaner at Floyds Fork; especially if you get in the spots where it is rock bottom.
    Im guessing you yakked the lower portion of the creek near Captains Quarters. You are right, however in the spots Ive mentioned the OP can wade pretty much down stream to the Hunting Creek Neighborhood.

Actually when I was younger I would have my friend park his car in Hunting Creek and we drive back up to 1694 (sleepy hollow past Glenn Oaks)in my car and wade the whole way down. It would take us 6 hours or so.

Lots of smallmouth, largemouth, spots, sauger, drum, white bass and catfish can be found there. Not to mention all of the deer, turkey and other wildlife.

Oh yeah, only two baits needed, pumpkinseed color tube and a rootbeer/chart bandit crank. Weve probably caught a thousand bass on those two lures in that creek over the years. Good times for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post

2: Hwy 1694 (Old brownsboro road) in between Hwy 22 and Hwy 329. This is actually the south fork of Harrods creek but still good fishing. Dont fish the dam, private property.
    This spot is only about 15 minutes from my house; thank you very much for mentioning it. Do you think there are catfish around the bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
    Im guessing you yakked the lower portion of the creek near Captains Quarters. You are right, however in the spots Ive mentioned the OP can wade pretty much down stream to the Hunting Creek Neighborhood.

Actually when I was younger I would have my friend park his car in Hunting Creek and we drive back up to 1694 (sleepy hollow past Glenn Oaks)in my car and wade the whole way down. It would take us 6 hours or so.

Lots of smallmouth, largemouth, spots, sauger, drum, white bass and catfish can be found there. Not to mention all of the deer, turkey and other wildlife.

Oh yeah, only two baits needed, pumpkinseed color tube and a rootbeer/chart bandit crank. Weve probably caught a thousand bass on those two lures in that creek over the years. Good times for sure.
    Maybe I need to hook up with you guys sometime so I may have a place to put in at the upper creek. You are right; I have only kayaked the lower part. To get were you are talking where I put in would probably take all day paddling. That's no fun

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone, this is great info...
    i have fished Flloyd's Fork a few times... did great the first couple of days... small mouth, rock bass etc. even caught a 6lb. drum on a 5 weight fly rod, that took awhile to get in...
    the next time i tried there were at least 15 cars and many more fishermen in in the same spot, seemed that way up and down... it was like fishing in a WalMart parking lot... i'll try some different spots...
    fished Harrods creek this morning, beautiful area, did rather well considering the heat, unfortunately i broke the tip on my Sage fly rod so it turned into an expensive adventure...
    i appreciate the posts, has anyone fished the Western Kentucky river?

Post Thanks / Like

i broke the tip on my Sage fly rod so it turned into an expensive adventure...

Sage will replace the broken section for about $50. Go to their website and follow their instructions. Better than the whole rod for $600.