Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question ethanol free gas

I live in Bowling Green ky and was curious as to any gas stations that provide ethenol free gas. I know Ranger Bobs is a source. However, it is not always convenient to fill up there when heading the other direction. Is there a way to tell if a national company provides this gas and if so, how? Are local stations required to advertise ethanol content? I have witnessed the outcome of using ethanol based gas and would like to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for any insight

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ethanol free gas

I live in BG too. I beleive Ranger Bobs is the only one around. 2 things I would recomend are getting some Treatment. Stabil makes a ethenol treatment. I would also try and keep the tank as full as possible. Ethenol creates alot of moisture, so if the tank is full there is not as much room for moisture to collect.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas stations only have to advertise ethanol content if it is above 10%. Only 2 stations in my area have a sticker that claims "our fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol" all other stations have ethanol but do not advertise because they are not required to because they are selling 10% or less. The small town I live in has no gas stations inside the city limits with ethanol free gas. To find ethanol free fuel I called the suppliers who dieliver fuel in my area.

When I talked to Necomb Oil company they informed me that they deliver 10% ethanol and non ethanol fuel. It depends on who is buying the fuel. When they deliver to farmers who have tanks at thier barns or small stores that do no sell much fuel they deliver non ethanol fuel because it may phase seperate/go bad before it is used/sold. Therefore they deliver 10% ethanol fuel to places that move/use a lot of gas. The only place I can find ethanol free fuel is at 4 country stores out in the county.

I only use ethanol fuel in my vehicles because I know it will not be sitting for a prolonged period of time. When it comes to my boat or anything that will sit for a while such as a lawnmower,weedeater,chainsaw,garden tiller I go 7 miles out of my way to buy non ethanol fuel for them. I found out when I was asking the people who work at gas stations if thier fuel had ethanol that 50% of them had no idea. Ask the store owner/manager or better yet find out who they buy thier fuel from and ask the suppilier if they deliver non ethanol fuel and where they deliver it to.

Even though I run non ethanol fuel in my boat and seasonal equipment I still add Marine Formula Stabil to every tank. Marine Formula Stabil helps fuel stay fresh and prolongs the period that it takes fuel to break down and phase seperate. Non ethanol fuel will absorb moisture and phase seperate but not as fast as 10% ethanol fuel. I also ocassionally run Marine Formula Stabil through my vehicles because the 10% ethanol fuel is more corrosive and i want to keep my fuel system clean.

Here is a couple of links with interesting stuff about ethanol fuel and pictures of what it will do.http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=452043

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=681502
    Last edited by R19; 07-16-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Startron is the cheapest (per gallon treated) ethanol treatment to be had. It is available at Wal Marks. Little blue bottle usually back with the oil or with the boat stuff. A very little bit treats a lot of gas.

A fuel water seperator with a replacable filter is next on the list. The ethanol gas is not that detrimental if you use it up fairly quickly. Storing your boat for a while with gas in the tank, lines, and carb is when you will run into problems.

I get my fuel at Nervous Charlies in White House, TN.

A question for the brain trust... do they put any ethanol in diesel?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in the Grider Hill area on L. Cumb. or Wisdom or Wolf on Dale the Sunoco in Albany is ethanol free.