Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boneheaded Things You've Done

I was telling fishing stories last night and remembered one of the dumbest things I've ever done as a fisherman.Back when I was a teenager and there where still alot of unknowns in the world to me,I decided I wanted to go night bank fishing in the Licking River,I couldn't get anyone else to go,so I went it alone lantern and poles to a secluded spot I knew between Morningview and DeMossville,Ky.
    It was late summer when the nights started getting cooler and fog would be thick in the river bottoms,but I always caught alot of fish that way drifting live bait down the riffles and bottom fishing with chicken liver for cats.
    I had several nice channels and perch on the stringer and sometime during the wee hours around 3:00 am the old fog had settled in and it was kind of eerie looking back in there.Now I wasn't a scaredy cat,but ghastly thoughts did cross my mind from time to time,especially after watching a good horror movie,which I had earlier that day.
    I got a hit on what I think was a helgrammite,but it seems late in the year for them,so I'm not sure.I had 12 pound test on my Ugly stick (when they first came out) and a Diawa spinning reel.I could tell it was big right off,but whatever this was ran my line out way down the pool below the riffle,me fighting all the way,then it would turn and head back at me.I fought this fish for 45 minutes this way until I was exhausted.I started thinking unhealthy thoughts about creatures from the black lagoon and such,until I convinced my self these surely had to be some kind of monster,because no fish could last this long,and no turtle swam that fast or like that.I talked myself into being scared so bad,that I cut my line and packed it out of there as fast as I could.
    I look back and laugh at it today,but I'll never know what it was,or that maybe it was some type trophy fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boneheaded Things You've Done

In all the excitement of striper fishing(the good 'ol days that is!) I drove from Lees Ford to the Fall Creek ramp without my boat hitch snapped down. It was just sitting on the ball the entire trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt strap the black light down and it flew out of the boat last night in the fiddlers tourney about 10 oclock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jordan bozarth View Post
    didnt strap the black light down and it flew out of the boat last night in the fiddlers tourney about 10 oclock.
    was heath mad ?

Post Thanks / Like

OH YES FORGOT I TOOK THE BUTT SEAT OUT . NICE SWIM !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

dumbest thing i did was bought a boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting sucked in at Wolf Creek Dam....SCARY!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Put my boat on the trailer with the trolling motor down but got first place in the tournament that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I had my old boat I would take my lowerance depth finder off when I took the boat out of the water. I had just left lake jericho and when I pulled on I-71 I saw the depthfinder bouncing and shattering across the road in my rear view mirror. I had un hooked it but left it sitting on top of the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my old boat this winter. Right above the drain plug is the hole for one of the live wells. I put the drain plug into to live well hole and did not notice until I got about 100' from the ramp. Water was up to my knees. Luckily I beached the boat and got it out running the pump. It took over an hour to get all the water to drain out. I've owned boats for over 15 years. What a rookie mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Joe View Post
    I replaced my old boat this winter. Right above the drain plug is the hole for one of the live wells. I put the drain plug into to live well hole and did not notice until I got about 100' from the ramp. Water was up to my knees. Luckily I beached the boat and got it out running the pump. It took over an hour to get all the water to drain out. I've owned boats for over 15 years. What a rookie mistake.
    I've seen the drain plug trick happen a few times over the years,it's not funny until later,much later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    I've seen the drain plug trick happen a few times over the years,it's not funny until later,much later.
    Yea, til much later. A couple years ago I re-wired a boat for a buddy and took it out to test everything (and to fish a little) with him when done. In a hurry we took out in the water and while idling upstream noticed my feet were wet...from water pouring in and the back of the boat was almost completely submersed. Luckily we got it up running and the bilge did the rest. But for a moment I thought we were sinking for sure.

Just one of many boneheaded things I've done on the water....