Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boneheaded Things You've Done

Quote Originally Posted by roughscott View Post
    was heath mad ?
    Haha no i had him bring his because i have a adapter to put two lights into one plug. I lost mine he had his in the box. I was mad though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at the front of the boat fishing. As I make my next cast I move my right foot and kick one of my poles in. So I jump in after it. Before I hit the water, the pole that I was fishing with I throw on the boat. (so I thought) I grab the pole I kicked in and set in back on the boat. Climb back in the boat only to realize that I must have thrown the pole I was using off the other side of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

One funny thing, not funny at the time, One Tues night 2nd week of November the winds were 19 mph. I camped all week long on Clarks Island facing Hendricks and Graveyard Island at Dale Hollow. Which essentially puts me right on the point of the main body of the lake. I tied tarps to cut the wind, which works just great! There was approximately 40-50ft of bank exposed before I could get to anything to tie off to. So I beached my boat and ran my cheap nylon rope up the hill. Well sitting around the fire on Tues night I kept hearing the boat slosh around from the wind and waves banging on the boat. Not thinking too much about it I went to bed. The alarm goes off faithfully at 6:00 AM....psst Jason....JAAASon get up. I get up and go to fix my coffee and ACTUALLY think to myself....it must be calm....I don't hear my boat anymore sloshing around. (You are right now thinking what happened......IT DID) So after I get my cover alls on and my Gortex suit I grab my coffee and meander towards the edge of the campsite to find a blank bank. NO BOAT. YEP, my face went white and I dropped my coffee. I look in the direction around the Islands and bay and NO BOAT, (kinda stupid now that I think about it, thats opposite the current). Then I look down the other way towards the dam and there she blows. I Carl Lewis down the bank only to hurry up and realize its about 25 yards off the bank in the flats and floating away. I racked my pea brain and only came to the resolution.......J, You're wet buddy. So I wade out to my boat in 60 degree water waist deep at 6:30 AM. Who needs coffee...lol I park the boat and I march my sloshy butt up the hill and proceed to stoke back up the fire, stick two sticks in the ground and hang my only pair of shoes from em. As they steam dry I changed my pants, sox, and layed out the coveralls by the fire. 1 hour and 15 later, I am suited back up and ready to try this whole thing again. I go across the lake just outside of Hendricks on a point. My thought was to get behind a bluff point and tie up to the land, pull the boat back with the enigine, and achor. As I bring the boat up and jump off I tied to a good size rock. As I turn around to get back in the boat the slate breaks under my feet. SWOOSH, WET A(FREAGIN)GAIN....lol Once back on the boat I YELLED....YOU'RE NOT GONNA BEAT ME......back to the camp site to dry by fire again. As I ride back I think of two things to laugh at. 1) Icconelli.."NEVER GIVE UP".....and that ole ARMY commercial, We do more before 9:30 than most so ALL day long. Dried up again....I caught several very good fish that day. Funny thing is....I'd do it all over again for the same day fishing.

The boat was rocking back and forth pulling the rope across a half exposed rock. POINT OF THE STORY.....watch what you are tied up to. secure the boat, and anchor the back and bring a back up pair of shoes. I ended up burning the soles off of my favorite pair of winter boots

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Lake Cumberland, November trip, 45 degrees out when we left from Allegator 2 at 9 PM on a Friday night after a horrific week at work. Didn't go any farther than the walls behind Campers Point. Set out 4 downrods with big shiners, fired up the propane heater on the bow of the pontoon, cracked open long-necks, and started passing the bourbon bottle back and forth to keep warm. About an hour later, 2 rods go down hard. The 20 foot pontoon is gettting drifted around by the 2 fish pulling. My buddy and I fight the fish for about 20 minutes, and land a good 20 pound and another 27 pound Striper. We decide to keep them, but with no live well, we just run a dock line thru their gills and out their mouths, and tie the line to a midship cleat. We fish for another hour or so with no more hits, except those laid on the bourbon bottle. Fog setting in, its right at midnight, and we decide to make a wide open run back in anticipating a warm cabin and bacon and eggs. When we get back to the dock to tie up, I reach down and find a wet, and stained tie up line.........but no Stripers. Oooops......forgot.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rookie my habit was to back my Tracker down the ramp until it was half way in and then to give it a good shove to float it off the trailer. At Kincaid I was leaning over the winch while giving the customary final push. Unfortunately, I had released the winch gear but had neglected to unhook the winch strap from the bow. As gravity took over and the boat made a quick exit into the lake . . . the winch handle comes spinning around faster than a Mike Tyson uppercut and tatoos me twice on the chin. After my head cleared I wiped away the blood and sheepishly glanced around to see if there were any witnesses.

Now I just tether the boat to the trailer and back her in until she floats. Sometimes, fellas, the learning curve is steep.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the BFl in ky as a co-angler, the last tournament i was so worried about one of my fish dying that i weigh in 4 bass instead of 5. didnt know untill the scale guy said 4 fish 4 alive. lost 20 spots because of the bonehead move

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Me and my wife took a trout float trip down the Cumberland river with guide Randell Gibson several years ago,my wife hooked a decent brown trout,but somehow got her line wrapped around the prop so bad that it got up inside the shaft and made a terrible mess.Gibson didn't say much as we were paying customers,but he was pissed.
    I did catch a 5lb-8 oz smallmouth at the mouth of crocus creek that trip,wish I could find that picture.
    LOL Glen, go back and ride my post. It was Randell's safety chain that I broke. I felt like the worlds biggest tool.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend and I were out on Tville a couple of weeks ago opposite side of the dam. After about 5 hours of sunburning and a little fishing (1 bass the size of the lure) we decided to call it a day. I had my buddy drive my boat in - i've been that guy before that doesnt own a boat and remember how much fun it is to drive. After we took off (i was riding in the front) i looked back at him and hollered "give it hell!" his response was "i am?" At this point it felt as if we were at half throttle motoring 15 mph. We kept going (not on plane) another 30 seconds or so till i gave the command to back it to neutral. After inspection (I had just put a new fuel line assembly on and thought perhaps air was getting into the line) we were stumped. I toggled with various wires thinking that certainly the motor (YAMAHA) was the one to blame. I eventually conceded and instructed him to go ahead and take us in. (by this point i'm pissed) As I make my way back to the front of the boat I notice a line in the water and given that we had caught one 6" bass all day I knew what was going on. The anchor had been down 18' for the last quarter mile. I certainly wont make that mistake again - thank goodness we didnt run across any down trees! I swore that story would go to the grave with me but it's too good of a mistake to keep in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub13 View Post
    Forgot to mention. Same evening my fishing partner was up on the front deck with me casting. He got a little too close and while launching his DD22, on his follow thru, buried the lure in the back of my skull. That one wasn't my fault though.
    Same thing happened to me. 3 full sized men fishing in a 14 foot jon boat. I was in the rear, and the guy in the middle casted. The problem came when the rooster tail connected with my skull behind my ear and hung on. While everything was happening, my mind registered the event, and how hard he was trying to throw the bait. I had visions of my scalp being ripped off and being a trailer on his rooster tail. Lucky for me, his bait caster backlashed so bad that he had to cut the line out, and I got to keep all my scalp. Only damage was one little pin prick where one of the hooks did go in. From then on though,the sound of someone casting close to me, makes my PTSD act up.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is a great idea. Thanks to the OP, one of us should write a book.

This will prove that I’m a real bonehead, but it does span many years of being on the water. Some were all me, some I participated in, some can't be told.

- Night fishing on Dale, wrong turn, lost in fog, wake up naked lady on houseboat at 2:00 am to ask for directions, run out of gas, some kind soul tows us back to our houseboat at Goat Island. Made it back before daybreak; no fish.

- My brother and fishing partner has dug both sets of treble hooks into the skulls of our two best friends and sometime fishing partners. I am patiently waiting my turn, but also thinking about buying a motorcycle helmet.

- Night fishing on Nolin; hung a black jitterbug in tree, pulled it free resulting in a sling-shot jitterbug finding my forearm with barb in deep. What the heck, I’ll just rip it out, Squirt, Squirt, and Squirt, hit a big vein and all I can think of is “How fast does lock jaw set in?”

- Okeechobee, anchored in a big lily field. I take off with trolling motor on high forgetting anchor, anchor catches, boat stops, I keep going. I reach for front of boat and grab the trolling motor, it’s on continuous run and I slice my forearm open. Gator Bait here I come, forearm thinking about looking for new owner.

- One year at Okeechobee, one of our buddies sets his rear fishing seat on the back deck unsecured, it bounces off and is lost. Trip to North Lake Marine for a new fishing seat.

- Next year at Okeechobee; same buddy sets his rear fishing seat on the back deck unsecured, it bounces off and is lost. Trip to North Lake Marine for a new fishing seat. North Lake is now closed; I guess they couldn’t make it on fishing seats alone.

- Winter Lake Cumberland trip; fishing partner can’t feel his big toe and claims frost bite. He asks for a fresh cup of coffee which he gets. I notice that he’s taking off a boot and several layers of socks. The big toe goes into the coffee cup. He still claims that coffee saved his life.

- Okeechobee, Shiner fishing trip; at day’s end we park in the boat slip, freshen up the left over shiners, turn on the live well pump and aerator. That night a shiner noses in and plugs the over-flow hole and we are pumping lake water into the boat all night. Bilge pump malfunctions and at daybreak one of our crew greets us with a “Gentlemen, I think we have a problem”. The boat is sunk up to the deck cap and barely hanging on. We get her floating, put her on the trailer and finish draining her out. It was the cleanest she had been in several years.

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled up to the ramp one day late and in a big ass hurry. Looked out about 50 yards from the ramp and there was a good bass jump going on. Man I gotta get in the water and get to these fish before somebody else gets here. I', pushing my guts out trying to push the boat off the trailer, dang I've never had this much problem, until it hits me that I never took the tie downs off the back, Duhhhhhhh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Backed my trailer in too far one morning, watched the boat float off out into the lake! No one was around so I had to swim out and get the boat! In a big Hurry!!!!

dont feel bad did the same thing twice. once last week, didnt swim had somebody take me to my boat