Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fish the main Licking right now. Find riffles and you will do well. You can catch sm, spots, redeye, whitebass, drum and sauger right now. I live on the Licking and fish this time of the year every year and do well. Throw small 1/16oz curly tail jigs, 1/8-1/4oz spinnerbaits, wee craws and wee shad color cbs.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter82i View Post
    I have spent the past couple of months trying to fish as many of NKY's creeks as I can. Most mentioned in this thread are a good day of fun.

However, after four trips to Eagle Creek in Owen County, I have to say that there really must be no fish left as many have mentioned. I have visited both VPA sites and two private put in spots and have only caught very small fish. Red Eyes seem plentiful. However, I can't find a small mouth ANYWHERE. Everything about the creek seems perfect for small mouth but they just aren't there. I spoke with an 82 yr old farmer yesterday and he echoed what some have said about the Otters. He even said they destroyed his farm ponds as well.

This just doesn't seem right. I would like to see KDFW show some fish sample results for a few different stretches of the creek. After trying and trying though, I think I know the answer. The fish just aren't there. It is a shame too because the creek is perfect for kayak and canoe fishing. I love to wade fish, but don't necessarily like the trespassing aspect of it. When floating we are legal no questions asked and it allows us all to share a resource.

Should we worry about Otters moving into some of our other creeks?
    I started fishing Eagle Creek often 7-8 years ago and could ALWAYS count on catch good numbers of 12-15" smallmouth. Since the otters its hard to catch anything over 10" and even then its only a few rockbass. I just can't understand why KDFW wouldn't try to help bring back such a good fishery.
    A few months back there was a live call-in episode of KY afield where you could call in and ask questions and a panel of KDFW would answer on-air. I called and asked along with several others about the problem of otters cleaning out the fish and EVERYTIME the guys answering the questions would side step it and say that if there was a problem with otters in your farm ponds to contact them and they would come out and help remove them. Never once did they address the issue of fishing being so impacted by the otters in our waterways.
    If anyone has any connections or knows any game wardens please bring this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Fish the main Licking right now. Find riffles and you will do well. You can catch sm, spots, redeye, whitebass, drum and sauger right now. I live on the Licking and fish this time of the year every year and do well. Throw small 1/16oz curly tail jigs, 1/8-1/4oz spinnerbaits, wee craws and wee shad color cbs.
    Bassky
    This is probably one of my next trips... Thanks for the advice I'll report back on results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inrll View Post
    I started fishing Eagle Creek often 7-8 years ago and could ALWAYS count on catch good numbers of 12-15" smallmouth. Since the otters its hard to catch anything over 10" and even then its only a few rockbass. I just can't understand why KDFW wouldn't try to help bring back such a good fishery.
    A few months back there was a live call-in episode of KY afield where you could call in and ask questions and a panel of KDFW would answer on-air. I called and asked along with several others about the problem of otters cleaning out the fish and EVERYTIME the guys answering the questions would side step it and say that if there was a problem with otters in your farm ponds to contact them and they would come out and help remove them. Never once did they address the issue of fishing being so impacted by the otters in our waterways.
    If anyone has any connections or knows any game wardens please bring this up.
    I wish I knew what tree to start barking up. You would think with all of the fishing and stocking programs that KDFW would at least listen to issue. To anyone who lives around eagle creek, are the Otters still around? Has the population suffered since the creeks have been depleted?

In about 8 hours this past Saturday, kayaking about 8 miles total, I caught 4 rock bass. My fishing buddy caught two small large mouth. This was in ideal conditions with crystal clear water. We didn't so much as see a small mouth.

Heartbreaking really. Not sure how to go about changing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Otters are destroying the creeks and now are in Cedar creek lake also. They eat fish by the tons and they reproduce like rabbits. Here's the thing to..............The KDFWR released the stupid things because they thought it would be cool to have them here, ''REALLY''. Who was the mental giant that thought of that one.

I don't own land but if I did I would kill every one that I saw. They don't belong here and are killing our fisheries. Sometimes our wildlife department scares the Hell out of me with some of their decisions. I have called Frankfort and the department and told them what I thought of their Otters to, but of course they don't care.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live on the Licking River in Campbell Co. I have been seeing otters the past 3 years and beaver. I know the CO really well. I will ask him what he thinks about the situation. Should have a report in the next week or 2.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I knew what tree to start barking up. You would think with all of the fishing and stocking programs that KDFW would at least listen to issue. To anyone who lives around eagle creek, are the Otters still around? Has the population suffered since the creeks have been depleted?

In about 8 hours this past Saturday, kayaking about 8 miles total, I caught 4 rock bass. My fishing buddy caught two small large mouth. This was in ideal conditions with crystal clear water. We didn't so much as see a small mouth.

Heartbreaking really. Not sure how to go about changing this.
    Hunter82i,
    Where were you fishing???

Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I live on the Licking River in Campbell Co. I have been seeing otters the past 3 years and beaver. I know the CO really well. I will ask him what he thinks about the situation. Should have a report in the next week or 2.
    Bassky
    They all down play there ability to hurt fish population's. Be ready for alot of smoke being blown in U know where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hunter82i,
    Where were you fishing???

Bassky
    I have fished Eagle near both PVA locations-the one near Warsaw the other near Jonesville. I also have property near Lusby's Mill in Owen County and have fished fairly long stretches there as well. Everything seems perfect, got the excitement in the air you get when you should catch fish... just no fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished Eagle near both PVA locations-the one near Warsaw the other near Jonesville. I also have property near Lusby's Mill in Owen County and have fished fairly long stretches there as well. Everything seems perfect, got the excitement in the air you get when you should catch fish... just no fish.
    Otters are ruining the smallmouth fishery in the South Fork of the Licking,they haven't destroyed the main Licking yet,but they will clean out a pool in no time.Had to be the stupidest move KDF&W ever pulled.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would happily donate time, sign a petition or whatever else the KDFW needs to fix this problem. This isn't something we should just sit and wait out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Otters are ruining the smallmouth fishery in the South Fork of the Licking,they haven't destroyed the main Licking yet,but they will clean out a pool in no time.Had to be the stupidest move KDF&W ever pulled.
    Amen Glenn, Amen brother..