Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. A large group has been fighting them for years to (here's a crazy concept) "conserve" the catfish population from commercial fishing with zero luck. Petitions/emails/phone calls/speaking at town hall events do nothing. I no longer have any faith or respect for KDFWR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider View Post
    Good luck. A large group has been fighting them for years to (here's a crazy concept) "conserve" the catfish population from commercial fishing with zero luck. Petitions/emails/phone calls/speaking at town hall events do nothing. I no longer have any faith or respect for KDFWR
    Chuck and I were talking about the commercial fishing the other day and feel the same as you. Our department is failing miserably in some areas and I have found out they DO NOT like to be second guessed.

Fisherman in the know have alot to give and to offer, how about listening once and awhile. And whom ever thought it was a good idea to introduce Otters backs into our eco system is a bonified MORON.

Post Thanks / Like

Otters in Creeks

Quote Originally Posted by hunter82i View Post
    I have spent the past couple of months trying to fish as many of NKY's creeks as I can. Most mentioned in this thread are a good day of fun.

However, after four trips to Eagle Creek in Owen County, I have to say that there really must be no fish left as many have mentioned. I have visited both VPA sites and two private put in spots and have only caught very small fish. Red Eyes seem plentiful. However, I can't find a small mouth ANYWHERE. Everything about the creek seems perfect for small mouth but they just aren't there. I spoke with an 82 yr old farmer yesterday and he echoed what some have said about the Otters. He even said they destroyed his farm ponds as well.

This just doesn't seem right. I would like to see KDFW show some fish sample results for a few different stretches of the creek. After trying and trying though, I think I know the answer. The fish just aren't there. It is a shame too because the creek is perfect for kayak and canoe fishing. I love to wade fish, but don't necessarily like the trespassing aspect of it. When floating we are legal no questions asked and it allows us all to share a resource.

Should we worry about Otters moving into some of our other creeks?
    My buddy and I fish Floyd's Fork in Louisville a lot. We have seen several otters over the past few years and also notice a big drop off in small mouth fishing. I would say the otters definitely affect the fish population and they don't catch and release any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking about people taking catfish from bigger rivers like the Ohio and selling them to pay lakes? This has been happening without any regulation whatsoever up here for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    My buddy and I fish Floyd's Fork in Louisville a lot. We have seen several otters over the past few years and also notice a big drop off in small mouth fishing. I would say the otters definitely affect the fish population and they don't catch and release any.
    Are we allowed to shoot Otters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we allowed to shoot Otters?

No, there is a trapping season I believe in some counties. Kill'em all

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes

I am talking about the pay lake issue. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but KDFWR needs to alter its mission statement since they can care less about conservation. $ talks and the fees they collect from commercial fisherman overrides all else.

Better hope there aren't any "high powered" people who enjoy watching the otters. If so, they'll stock more. Just remember everything is political...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes

I am talking about the pay lake issue. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but KDFWR needs to alter its mission statement since they can care less about conservation. $ talks and the fees they collect from commercial fisherman overrides all else.

Better hope there aren't any "high powered" people who enjoy watching the otters. If so, they'll stock more. Just remember everything is political...
    I knew what you were talking about, Chuck and I were talking about the same thing. Guys paying big dollars to buy huge Cats, place them in a mud gold fish bowl and have everybody pay them to try and catch one. It makes me wanna puke.

I mean let me see.....Deplete a awesome ''NATURAL'' fishery to enhance a frickin paylake, yea that makes perfect sense to me.................Please, eyeroll

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a trapping season from Mid Nov - Mid Jan for the ugly otters! They get pretty big, I don't know what kind of a trap to use.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to bring this post back to the top. Has anyone been fishing the creeks in NKY lately? I wanted to go this weekend, but the rain will probably prevent that. I have fished the creek off Richardson Rd and the one down from Doe. I have had luck in both areas, but once you spook them they will just watch your bait and, what feels like, laugh at ya!

How does everyone approach the creek fishing and potential private property? Do you just find a good access point and start wading up/down the creek?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhanc00 View Post
    I wanted to bring this post back to the top. Has anyone been fishing the creeks in NKY lately? I wanted to go this weekend, but the rain will probably prevent that. I have fished the creek off Richardson Rd and the one down from Doe. I have had luck in both areas, but once you spook them they will just watch your bait and, what feels like, laugh at ya!

How does everyone approach the creek fishing and potential private property? Do you just find a good access point and start wading up/down the creek?
    Probably my favorite thing to do is creek fish... having said that the private property thing makes it difficult to fish a lot of the creeks around here. I generally ask the land owner for permission to park and then fish. Having said that I know I've been on property where I didn't have permission. But it's hard to turn back when you can see the next hole just around the corner. The most important thing is to respect their property by not littering, catch and release fish, and leaving as little impact as possible. I also pack out trash when I see it.

Unfortunately I see some people abuse the creeks and it winds up ruining it for us all. Typically I steer clear of the easy to access areas and those generally get the most abuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably my favorite thing to do is creek fish... having said that the private property thing makes it difficult to fish a lot of the creeks around here. I generally ask the land owner for permission to park and then fish. Having said that I know I've been on property where I didn't have permission. But it's hard to turn back when you can see the next hole just around the corner. The most important thing is to respect their property by not littering, catch and release fish, and leaving as little impact as possible. I also pack out trash when I see it.

Unfortunately I see some people abuse the creeks and it winds up ruining it for us all. Typically I steer clear of the easy to access areas and those generally get the most abuse.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it's been my understanding that landowners don't own Ky waterways....if you came into a creek/stream from a public access point, or from land you have permission to be on and as long as you stayed "IN" the creek and didn't get out onto someone's land....it was my impression that the landowner can't do a dam thing....

Am I wrong here ?