Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe they can't own a "navigable" waterway but they can own the land under it. So if your in a canoe and you float over it your ok but if you get out then your standing on someone's property.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inrll View Post
    I believe they can't own a "navigable" waterway but they can own the land under it. So if your in a canoe and you float over it your ok but if you get out then your standing on someone's property.
    Sorry for the delayed response. This its also how I understand the law

Post Thanks / Like
    So has anyone been fishing these creeks lately? Does everyone prefer to fish the water after it calms down after a rain or try and find good eddies while it is running full? I have fished banklick several times, had the best luck (maybe one fish every two trips or so) with a swim bait. Also tried jigs, but they are tough to use with all the rock and I tend to get hung a bit too often. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the info on private property. That is the way I understand it - land under the water can be private property.

Post Thanks / Like

Wading in Creeks is Trespassing, Floating is OK?

Quote Originally Posted by HawgHunter75 View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it's been my understanding that landowners don't own Ky waterways....if you came into a creek/stream from a public access point, or from land you have permission to be on and as long as you stayed "IN" the creek and didn't get out onto someone's land....it was my impression that the landowner can't do a dam thing....Am I wrong here ?
    HAWGHUNTER75,Unfortunately you are wrong!!!! The landowners do not own the creek as far as the water...therefore you can float from Ohio to Tennessee, but as soon as you step outside your boat, canoe or Kayak...you are trespassing, the landowners own the creek bottom land. Crazy I know, but this is absolutely the rule! If your floating, no worries, touch bottom, even in the middle of the creek, you are in violation, and ALL the landowners know this.By the way, The Licking river is a great Small mouth stream and the Elkorn is as well. Numerous places to access!!!Sorry, Rob1678

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    HAWGHUNTER75,Unfortunately you are wrong!!!! The landowners do not own the creek as far as the water...therefore you can float from Ohio to Tennessee, but as soon as you step outside your boat, canoe or Kayak...you are trespassing, the landowners own the creek bottom land. Crazy I know, but this is absolutely the rule! If your floating, no worries, touch bottom, even in the middle of the creek, you are in violation, and ALL the landowners know this.By the way, The Licking river is a great Small mouth stream and the Elkorn is as well. Numerous places to access!!!Sorry, Rob1678
    Is Licking river wadable? Just wondering if you can access from the bank and get to multiple spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Around the Butler and Morningview areas is wadable. I live in Campbell Co right on the river and it is too deep to wade. You would want to concentrate in riffle areas below and above for the best fishing now. I have access to the second riffle on the river below Newport and the fishing is good year round.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter82i sent you a PM

Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Around the Butler and Morningview areas is wadable. I live in Campbell Co right on the river and it is too deep to wade. You would want to concentrate in riffle areas below and above for the best fishing now. I have access to the second riffle on the river below Newport and the fishing is good year round.
    Bassky
    There's a riffle on the Licking near Newport? I always thought it was too deep in the those last few miles before it hits the Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first riffle is about 10 miles south of Newport. There are 2 where I live along Rifle Range rd. I live between them. About 12 miles south of Newport.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    BassKy, do you access the licking river from Decoursey Pike or 1936? I really want to try my luck there, it looks like there is not a whole lot of private property going down the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to access the river at Clines on the River on 915. They have a nice boat ramp behind the bar over the hill. Knotty Pine on the Bayou bought them out. I asked for permission there last week and the owner wasn't there and was denied permission. I have used Decoursey Pike ramp but if the river is low, you cannot use it, too shallow. These are the only 2 ramps in my area beside Fredericks Landing in WIlder. Falmouth has a ramp, just across the blue bridge in town, it is shallow also. Where is 1936??
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished the licking about 2 weeks ago. BassKY, you wouldn't wanna put your boat in at Knotty Pine. The last 20ft of the ramp has 1-3ft thick river mud from back when it was up earlier this year. We put in at fredericks landing and ran up.