Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. We put in at Fredericks the day I asked for permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Banklick Creek

Fished two spots on Banklick today, there was NOTHING. I did not even see any life at all! Not one shad/minnow or whatever. Normally I see activity but I was completely surprised at least small shad/minnows. Also noticed some of my good spots with some under water ledges were completely filled in with sand and rock. Amazing how it changes in one year...

Do the fish move out of the creeks in the fall to deeper water when a good rain comes?

Sorry bassky, I was talking about foot access so you can fish from shore.

Post Thanks / Like
    In high current situations, fish tend to hold in eddies, which means behind some structure to get out of the current. Like behind rocks, trees, submerged cover, bridge pilons, etc. Or it could be a slack area above or below a riffle, out of the current.
    bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Came across this thread... I know its a year old, but wanted to reply... Fished the south fork of the Licking on 8/24 and 8/30 and did well in only 3 or 4 hours of fishing... on the 24th, 3 of us caught over 30 fish including a few 2-3 pound smallies... and 1 really angry gar.. and on the 30th, 2 of us caught 21 again with a few nice ones. We caught them on crawdad colored cranks, green rebel grasshoppers, and in line spinners. Hoping to go again this Friday... as long as my honey-do is list complete ; )

Banklick has good fish in it too... we usually go upstream of the Log Cabin Inn.

Grassy Creek at KY 17 has always been fun too... although my buddy reports otters two pools down from the bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	6318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	6319  

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle creek

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Here's creeks I've been in over the years listed by county =
    Boone county = Gunpowder creek,Big Bone creek,Woolper creek,Mudlick creek,and Big South Fork creek on the Boone-Gallatin county line.
    Gallatin county = Eagle creek,Craigs creek,Steele creek,Paint Lick creek,and Sugar creek.
    Kenton county = Decoursey creek,Banklick creek,Cruises creek,Bowman creek, Doe Run creek,and the Licking river south of Visalia is wadeable near riffles.
    I never fish Campbell county much,but I know of Fourmile and Twelvemile creeks and the Licking river.
    Grant county = Eagle creek,Grassy creek below Williamstown lake dam,Clarks creek,Rattlesnake creek,Fork Lick creek,and Three Forks creek.
    Pendleton county = Main Licking river,South Fork of the Licking,Grassy creek has north,south,and middle forks,Kincaid creek,Blanket creek,Fork Lick creek,Willow creek,Fishing creek,Crooked creek,Johnson creek,and Flour creek
    Bracken county = Locust creek,Willow creek,Yellow Willow creek,Snag Creek,and Little Bracken creek.
    Owen county = Kentucky river,Eagle creek,Cedar creek.(others in Owen never fished them though.
    Harrison county = I've fished Raven creek.

I can get you directions and where to access any I listed.
    On the farm I'm at, eagle creek borders the property. I've tried fly fishing and lure fishing. Nothing on the fly and only 3 very small bluegill on open reel. Any tips, advice, or possibly a better location on eagle? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    medalfish,

Have you ha chance to fish the creek below doe run yet? Would like to do it myself, just wondering if you had any luck. Fished doe run a few weeks ago and it was so low thought they were draining it.

Post Thanks / Like

Gunpowder creek fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    Here are a few. Gunpowder Creek, Licking River, Eagle Creek west of Williamstown, South fork Licking near Falmouth, 12 mile Creek in Campbell Co. I have fished all of these creeks and have caught sm bass, redeyes, bluegill, drum, lm bass, sauger, whitebass, catfish all on artificial lures.
    Bassky
    I fish in gunpowder over by camp Ernst middle school and catch a lot of smallmouth and largemouth but the smallmouth are all under 12 inches and the largemouth are up to 20 inches in some pools. I want to fish gunpowder over by the Ohio river near big bone creek but I don't know of any access points over there. Do you know any?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shortkid View Post
    Came across this thread... I know its a year old, but wanted to reply... Fished the south fork of the Licking on 8/24 and 8/30 and did well in only 3 or 4 hours of fishing... on the 24th, 3 of us caught over 30 fish including a few 2-3 pound smallies... and 1 really angry gar.. and on the 30th, 2 of us caught 21 again with a few nice ones. We caught them on crawdad colored cranks, green rebel grasshoppers, and in line spinners. Hoping to go again this Friday... as long as my honey-do is list complete ; )

Banklick has good fish in it too... we usually go upstream of the Log Cabin Inn.

Grassy Creek at KY 17 has always been fun too... although my buddy reports otters two pools down from the bridge.
    Where exactly is that part of Banklick? I creekfish gunpowder all day but I want to try new creek spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    NKYFISHING,

I'm actually planning to go out to Doe Run this evening and check out the creek. This is an old thread and I wasn't sure how much of the info is still valid. I like creek fishing as well. I just moved here from Western KY (close to KY lake area) and it's killing me that I don't know any of the good fishing spots. I've been following this thread and a few others to look for places to go. Any general tips?

Here are some places I've tried so far:
    Gunpowder Creek (at Sperti) (Caught 1 smallmouth, too shallow most places)
    Willis Music Ponds on Industrial (Nothing)
    Markland Dam (Nothing)

I'd like to try Gunpowder at a different spot too, but I'm not sure where to access it with some decent depth from the bank. I live off of Gunpowder Road, so I'm looking for something within 10-15 minutes drive from my house if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery55 View Post
    NKYFISHING,

I'm actually planning to go out to Doe Run this evening and check out the creek. This is an old thread and I wasn't sure how much of the info is still valid. I like creek fishing as well. I just moved here from Western KY (close to KY lake area) and it's killing me that I don't know any of the good fishing spots. I've been following this thread and a few others to look for places to go. Any general tips?

Here are some places I've tried so far:
    Gunpowder Creek (at Sperti) (Caught 1 smallmouth, too shallow most places)
    Willis Music Ponds on Industrial (Nothing)
    Markland Dam (Nothing)

I'd like to try Gunpowder at a different spot too, but I'm not sure where to access it with some decent depth from the bank. I live off of Gunpowder Road, so I'm looking for something within 10-15 minutes drive from my house if possible.
    Never fished gunpowder creek, but would like to. Let me know how you did at doe run creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NKYFISHING View Post
    Never fished gunpowder creek, but would like to. Let me know how you did at doe run creek.
    I saw the rain and expected worse. I decided not to go because I had my toddler with me. I may give it a shot again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some decent small mouth and various sunfish in banklick by the log cabin. Usually the water is quite clear and you can scare away any chance of catching the larger smallies easily. I catch bait there sometimes and its a pretty nice secluded get away close to where I live. I don't have the expectation to catch anything huge out of there but you'll get some good hits from sunfish tossing a rooster tail past large rocks in the water. There are four or so nice pools along this stretch of the creek, not too deep but lots of life and not overfished and full of trash like further down the stream near doe run. If you go further upstream where fowler creek comes in is another good pool, by the bridge on richardson.
    If you are looking for creek chubs or crawdads for bait this creek is loaded all the way to the beginning. I've often thought about parking at the speed way on 17 and walking down the hill where the water is deeper but haven't. I imagine it's pretty polluted with the highway right there but still might hold some fish.

Edit: wanted to add that some of the sunfish in this areas are the most vibrant orange I've ever seen on a fish, quite stunning.