Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Creek fishing in Northern KY?

I'm a very big fan of small river and creek fishing. I love the peace and quiet. It's kind of my little escape from the loud and hectic world we live in. I was wondering if there are any creeks within about 20 miles or so of the Florence area that I could wade in? If so are there public access spots and what species could I target? Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Creek fishing in Northern KY?

Here are a few. Gunpowder Creek, Licking River, Eagle Creek west of Williamstown, South fork Licking near Falmouth, 12 mile Creek in Campbell Co. I have fished all of these creeks and have caught sm bass, redeyes, bluegill, drum, lm bass, sauger, whitebass, catfish all on artificial lures.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bassky! I'm assuming gunpowder creek is the one that runs along gunpowder road. If so I followed it all the way from 42 to Mt. Zion and it's pretty dry. Is it just a springtime creek or did I just not go far enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's creeks I've been in over the years listed by county =
    Boone county = Gunpowder creek,Big Bone creek,Woolper creek,Mudlick creek,and Big South Fork creek on the Boone-Gallatin county line.
    Gallatin county = Eagle creek,Craigs creek,Steele creek,Paint Lick creek,and Sugar creek.
    Kenton county = Decoursey creek,Banklick creek,Cruises creek,Bowman creek, Doe Run creek,and the Licking river south of Visalia is wadeable near riffles.
    I never fish Campbell county much,but I know of Fourmile and Twelvemile creeks and the Licking river.
    Grant county = Eagle creek,Grassy creek below Williamstown lake dam,Clarks creek,Rattlesnake creek,Fork Lick creek,and Three Forks creek.
    Pendleton county = Main Licking river,South Fork of the Licking,Grassy creek has north,south,and middle forks,Kincaid creek,Blanket creek,Fork Lick creek,Willow creek,Fishing creek,Crooked creek,Johnson creek,and Flour creek
    Bracken county = Locust creek,Willow creek,Yellow Willow creek,Snag Creek,and Little Bracken creek.
    Owen county = Kentucky river,Eagle creek,Cedar creek.(others in Owen never fished them though.
    Harrison county = I've fished Raven creek.

I can get you directions and where to access any I listed.

Post Thanks / Like

Kyfanatic that's awesome! Thank you! I live minutes from Doe Run creek. I didn't know it held any fish other than minnows or chubs. What species could I expect to find in there? I've thought about putting my Jon boat in the creek that runs through pioneer park near Doe Run (not sure what the name of that one is, might still be considered Doe Run Creek). Have you fished that one? Any success?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    Kyfanatic that's awesome! Thank you! I live minutes from Doe Run creek. I didn't know it held any fish other than minnows or chubs. What species could I expect to find in there? I've thought about putting my Jon boat in the creek that runs through pioneer park near Doe Run (not sure what the name of that one is, might still be considered Doe Run Creek). Have you fished that one? Any success?
    If you fish below the dam at Doe Run Lake you'll find fish,the creek it runs into by Pioneer is Banklick creek and I've seen fish come out of it that you'd never expect,by the church on Bullock Pen road I saw a kid catch 2 Striped bass over 15 inches long.Unfortunately some of the creeks I listed are polluted by the great housing boom and don't hold fish like they used to.
    The part of Gunpowder you saw is the headwaters,the further down it you go the bigger it gets,around Hathaway road in Boone county (Union) it's a large creek with lots of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to tell you,I doubt you'll get anything but a canoe down Banklick creek until you get to Latonia.You can catch Bluegill,Sunfish,LM Bass,,Carp,Suckers,and Catfish out of Banlklick and the deeper holes in DoeRun.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Creek in places can be very good. A jon boat is good for that creek because in a lot of places in Grant Co. it will be 6 inches then flow into a 6-8 foot deep pool. Problem with a lot of those places though is that otters have cleaned some of the pools out. I have family on the creek and even as few as 5 years ago, we could go in there and catch 2-4# smallies on a regular basis, but since then the otters have moved in and we are lucky to find a handful of small ones to even hit. There are some big cats in there though that can help pass the time. In places too there is a lot of runoff and if there is any rain it can get chocolate milk brown in no time.

I would try some of the smaller creeks that KYfanatic listed, they will surprise you because most people will skip the small creeks since they don't look like there are fish in it.

Good luck. If you need an access point for Eagle-PM me and I can give you directions to my in-laws palce where he does not mind anyone fishing. It is off the beaten path as well and gets very little pressure form anglers but not the otters.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
    Eagle Creek in places can be very good. A jon boat is good for that creek because in a lot of places in Grant Co. it will be 6 inches then flow into a 6-8 foot deep pool. Problem with a lot of those places though is that otters have cleaned some of the pools out. I have family on the creek and even as few as 5 years ago, we could go in there and catch 2-4# smallies on a regular basis, but since then the otters have moved in and we are lucky to find a handful of small ones to even hit. There are some big cats in there though that can help pass the time. In places too there is a lot of runoff and if there is any rain it can get chocolate milk brown in no time.

I would try some of the smaller creeks that KYfanatic listed, they will surprise you because most people will skip the small creeks since they don't look like there are fish in it.

Good luck. If you need an access point for Eagle-PM me and I can give you directions to my in-laws palce where he does not mind anyone fishing. It is off the beaten path as well and gets very little pressure form anglers but not the otters.....
    I have friends that own along parts of Eagle creek also,I haven't fished it in several years,but back in the 70's and 80's we used to catch tons of fish out of it.I'll never understand why KDF&W restocked otters in our streams,they are ruining SmallMouth fishing,they clean the fish out of good holes in no time,all so some CO's can trap.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow to think all these times I have fished Doe Run Lake and drove right past these creeks with not a clue... Amazes me. That's pretty cool to hear stripers are a possible catch. I would have NEVER guessed that.

I really appreciate all this info guys! I'm pretty stoked to finally hit the creeks again. Back in Ohio that's where I did about 80% of my fishing. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against lake fishing. I've actually been very impressed with a lot of the small lakes I've fished here in KY. But nothing beats the creeks and small rivers!

I will definitely take you up on the access to eagle creek, chasmo, at a later date. I think first though I'm going to see what I can do at Doe Run and Banklick since they're so close
    to home.

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know if i would have any luck fishing in banklick creek in iindependence particularly near the nature preserve that is off webster road and cody road.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    I'm a very big fan of small river and creek fishing. I love the peace and quiet. It's kind of my little escape from the loud and hectic world we live in. I was wondering if there are any creeks within about 20 miles or so of the Florence area that I could wade in? If so are there public access spots and what species could I target? Thank you in advance!
    I have spent the past couple of months trying to fish as many of NKY's creeks as I can. Most mentioned in this thread are a good day of fun.

However, after four trips to Eagle Creek in Owen County, I have to say that there really must be no fish left as many have mentioned. I have visited both VPA sites and two private put in spots and have only caught very small fish. Red Eyes seem plentiful. However, I can't find a small mouth ANYWHERE. Everything about the creek seems perfect for small mouth but they just aren't there. I spoke with an 82 yr old farmer yesterday and he echoed what some have said about the Otters. He even said they destroyed his farm ponds as well.

This just doesn't seem right. I would like to see KDFW show some fish sample results for a few different stretches of the creek. After trying and trying though, I think I know the answer. The fish just aren't there. It is a shame too because the creek is perfect for kayak and canoe fishing. I love to wade fish, but don't necessarily like the trespassing aspect of it. When floating we are legal no questions asked and it allows us all to share a resource.

Should we worry about Otters moving into some of our other creeks?