Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Blown Motor....OH NO!!!

Hey guys. I blew my 1998 Johnson FICHT engine yesterday and am helping you guys can offer some advice. I am wanting to try and sell the blown motor for parts or whatever someone can use it for and then buy a 225 used Evinrude 2003 or newer. Can anyone offer some advice on where to look for a new motor and where I could unload my blown one? I am really heartbroken that I'm having to look into all this at all and could really use the help and wisdom of you guys on here. Thanks in advance for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blown Motor....OH NO!!!

BassBoatCentral.com
    Go to the forum page down at the bottom there's catagories of stuff for sale look under motors usally at least 5 or 6 for sale on there allways.
    BIG BASS

Post Thanks / Like

marine parts wharehouse will buy the old motor in scottsville,ky
    on the used motor give these guys a call just cause it aint listed on the site they can get it or may have it
    well worth the drive
    got a used 200 rude from them 3 yr ago and have done nothing to it except put lots of gas in it lol
    warrenty on most models
    A1 place to buisness with
    ill go back when i upgrade

http://www.fishingworld.com/vDealers...Condition=Used

Post Thanks / Like

some times it's easier just to buy the whole boat and take the motor off and then either sell, sink or trash the boat.
    Being an adjuster I have a couple places that can sell you just the powerhead, lower unit, etc.
    Once I get back to my office I will send you the names or links

Post Thanks / Like

Try iboats.com. They sell demo motors.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be to jack it up and drive a real motor under it. I've owned 6 Rude/Johnson and blown 4. I've never blown another brand. Owned Mercs and Yamahas without that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason ficht engines put evinrude out of business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    My advice would be to jack it up and drive a real motor under it. I've owned 6 Rude/Johnson and blown 4. I've never blown another brand. Owned Mercs and Yamahas without that problem.
    hahaha.i love these replys,take a peek on bassboat central and screamandfly,there are blown motors af all makes,and many of them..no secret the early fichts were the demize of omc,but in that era you also had the opti pops,and yammi had their fair share of hpdi blow ups,just a matter if the bank account can with stand the storm.if you go back to the carb motors all 3 were pretty good.and in the dfi world they are pretty equal now.
    you would do better parting out the blown ficht,but it is a little aggrevating,will get more for the lower unit then the rest of it all together.

Post Thanks / Like

Sell it on craigslist.com

They have a much wider readership and other automated "for sale" sites pick up the listings. Just check it several times a week for a couple seeks and you will get the hang of it.

You can also list it here. Doesn't cost anything and search engines like google will pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Blew my 225 johnson a couple years ago. I parted it out on ebay and did pretty well, within a month almost all of it was gone. Lots of aluminun in the destroyed powerhead too, if I remember correctly, got about 100 bucks at recycling center. It was a lot of work but without a boat motor what else did I have to do? If you switch form an omc you'll spend a lot on new controls. I bought a used etec and love it! Hung it and had it running in an afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Those motor have been trouble. What is wrong with it? Did you lose one of the top cylinders? Even as parts they aren't worth much. I have seen them sell for about a grand with one or 2 cylinders destroyed. As mentioned earlier I would recommend ******************** to unload the motor and locate a new one.