Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone do any fishing in Hickman Creek?

I went fishing yesterday on the Hickman, mostly just through what's considered the Veteran's Park area. Caught quite a few nice bluegill, pumpkinseeds, hooked into a smallie, but he came unhooked right as I was about to lip him. However, I just couldnt get the majority of bass to go for anything I threw their way. Couldnt even get them interested in most anything. I knew they'd be skiddish, as the water is fairly clear, and they get fished a lot

Is there any better area to fish on the Hickman than where I was? If you've had luck hooking into some of the bass in there, what worked best for you?

Also, when I was there, I saw a spotted gar, maybe a foot and a half in length, about as round as a soda can, just cruising in the creek as well. Didnt know Hickman had any spotted gar in it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone do any fishing in Hickman Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by admile3 View Post
    I went fishing yesterday on the Hickman, mostly just through what's considered the Veteran's Park area. Caught quite a few nice bluegill, pumpkinseeds, hooked into a smallie, but he came unhooked right as I was about to lip him. However, I just couldnt get the majority of bass to go for anything I threw their way. Couldnt even get them interested in most anything. I knew they'd be skiddish, as the water is fairly clear, and they get fished a lot

Is there any better area to fish on the Hickman than where I was? If you've had luck hooking into some of the bass in there, what worked best for you?

Also, when I was there, I saw a spotted gar, maybe a foot and a half in length, about as round as a soda can, just cruising in the creek as well. Didnt know Hickman had any spotted gar in it!

I have fished it of mackey pike but never really had any luck.. Id like to find a good area as well

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year the bass seem to focus mainly on crawfish. I'd say try a green pumpkin colored tube jig or a small craw colored crank bait (brown, orange, dark green). And try to stay out of their sight. A lot of times if the fish see you they won't want to bite.

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin did real well down there about 2 weeks ago. A good rain had come through the night before and the water was up a little bit and stained. They caught 'em real well on in-line spinners and grubs... The key with creek fishing this time of year is water level and clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a couple times in the past month. I go in at Bethany Lane in Jessamine county.

Caught lots of rock bass and bluegill and some smallies in the 9" range. Mostly used worms, spinners and Rapala crawdads.

I've been told of a good deep hole down from the bridge but have yet to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Earley View Post
    I've been a couple times in the past month. I go in at Bethany Lane in Jessamine county.

Caught lots of rock bass and bluegill and some smallies in the 9" range. Mostly used worms, spinners and Rapala crawdads.

I've been told of a good deep hole down from the bridge but have yet to find it.

Ah, Bethany Road (I did a Google Maps search for Bethany Lane, which there is one off Chrisman Mill Road, but the closest it comes to touching water is probably a mile haha; I was confused!)

I've actually fished around that bridge on Bethany Road before. It looked like a pretty great spot, just didnt have enough time to fish there. Where do you park when fishing there? I parked just before you cross the bridge on the left-hand side, but there didnt really appear to be any good spots to park there. Do you wade? Canoe? Kayak? Walk the bank?

And, do you head upstream? or Down? I first started to head upstream so that my wading wasnt going to be disturbing where I was fishing, but I was headed into an area with Private Property signs posted all over the trees, so I decided to head back downstream.

Post Thanks / Like

fished hickman tuesday and lit'em on fire!! had the best day ever in 7 years of fishing that creek. believe it or not i pulled a 7 pound catfish, 3 pound hybred, and a 3 pound smallmouth. i've never pulled anything bigger than 2 pounds out of there until tuesday. caught about 20-25 fish nightcrawler on the bottom, but you gotta find your own hole!! there are some good holes out there but you gotta walk a little

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruppbear View Post
    fished hickman tuesday and lit'em on fire!! had the best day ever in 7 years of fishing that creek. believe it or not i pulled a 7 pound catfish, 3 pound hybred, and a 3 pound smallmouth. i've never pulled anything bigger than 2 pounds out of there until tuesday. caught about 20-25 fish nightcrawler on the bottom, but you gotta find your own hole!! there are some good holes out there but you gotta walk a little
    Dont worry, I wont ask you where the hole was, although, I'm very jealous of the two 3 pounders! I'm the same, I have yet to pull anything out of there more than 2lbs. But I will ask this- Were you fishing strictly nightcrawlers? is that what you caught the smallie and hybrid on?

Post Thanks / Like

The only real luck I have had on Hickman was using some sort of live bait. Not sure why, but they seem to want the real stuff in that creek.

One of the first times I fished it, I had thrown everything in the box at the water with only a few small gills. I got tired of casting, so started turning over rocks on the bank and found some Crawfish. Hooked him on the line and caught a fish first cast (Nice White Bass). Repeated that procedure a few more times.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you park when fishing there? I parked just before you cross the bridge on the left-hand side, but there didnt really appear to be any good spots to park there. Do you wade? Canoe? Kayak? Walk the bank?

And, do you head upstream? or Down? I first started to head upstream so that my wading wasnt going to be disturbing where I was fishing, but I was headed into an area with Private Property signs posted all over the trees, so I decided to head back downstream.
    I park at that same spot. I wade when I go and have gone upstream a little but never really had much luck. I usually fish around the bridge and downstream some. Guess there's a lot more of that stream to explore.

Gotta agree about using live bait there. The biggest smallie I've caught there was about 16" and caught on a nightcrawler.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy but we actually waded Hickman today. The water was up about 2 feet, and boy was it cold. But we managed to stay in it for about 4 hours. We caught 22 fish, 4 smallmouth over 2 pounds, with the biggest being 3 - 31/2 pounds. Caught several nice largemouth and a whole slew of smallies between 9" - 12", and a carp about 3 lbs. It was a pretty good trip.

We went last Saturday and caught 21, including a 3 pound smallmouth. Been great week at Hickman for us.

Hoping i can wade it at least 2 more times before it gets too cold.

Post Thanks / Like

The consensus of most on this board is that if you guys don't stop posting detail locations, you'll soon have your last Hickman trip.

Appreciate general reports on conditions and baits. Maps and locations should be in private messages.