Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian carp taste good?

The only fish I eat are out of my family farm pond. It sits high on a ridge away from any neighboring runoff so I know it is safe.

Along the same lines as Tilapia, check out the video below. Next time you buy fish from Kroger or wherever you shop, check the country of origin. Lots of "Farm Raised Catfish" are from Vietnam or China and are likely coming from farms like this...

http://vimeo.com/11817894

Post Thanks / Like

I guess i would treat it like a paddle fish because they eat the same thing but what i don't get is they say there fine to eat and the paddle fish are not....?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRiverWildMan View Post
    The only fish I eat are out of my family farm pond. It sits high on a ridge away from any neighboring runoff so I know it is safe.

Along the same lines as Tilapia, check out the video below. Next time you buy fish from Kroger or wherever you shop, check the country of origin. Lots of "Farm Raised Catfish" are from Vietnam or China and are likely coming from farms like this...

http://vimeo.com/11817894

My wife buy's catfish from kroger about twice a year and gets frogg leggs from IGA that say;s china on them !!! Well that ended that. I know the video is from korea but what is the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first moved to Louisiana I could not beleve what they would eat down there. I ate gar, sucked the head of a crawfish, love raw oysters and numerous other tastes i acquired while living down there. So an asian carp somebody cook it I'll try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    also as far as eating huge fish goes...Look at all the African Tribe's. They eat huge fish on a daily basis and don't seem to be dying.....

On the show Monster Fish, he shows a tribe eating a huge toothy like fish that weighed like 65lbs. Also the huge catfish that was caught in Asia that weighed 850 lbs. It was served up to all the entire village to eat.... Don't hear these people complaining about mercury and all those other dangerous checmicals in the water when it comes to food.......
    They don't seem to be dying? With most African's having an average life expectancy of less than 50 years the mercury and other chemicals don't have a chance to kill them. Their lives are all to often ended by famine, disease, HIV or a very high rate of infant mortality. I think you may watch to much TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    You used to live in Louisiana? What the he!! are you doing here? OOPPS off topic there sorry. I'm with you man lets go catch some and give them a try.
    I have eating crawfish and there good Oysters by the gallon Gar and gator I have never tried but i would imagine it would taste like snapping turtle I mean there both (gagtors and turtles) prehistoric. Theres not much I havent tried or eating except mountin oysters I will draw the line there. I don't pic my teeth with a coon stdick ( Tenn. Tooth pic) and i don't eat mountin oyters Oh another one i won't do is hog brains...
    If i went to Louisiana and they wouldn't treet me like an outsider I dought I would ever leave but then they have soom big ol mosquitoes down there..
    Yeah yer right, had to leave drinking to much beer! An elderly lady would tell me to bring her back my bait and she would put it in her gumbo. Would catch grass shrimp in a dip net. Food is killer down there. I never even put black pepper on anything til I moved down there. Now I have to put a spice called Tony Chacheres on everything. Brings out some killer flavor even on green beans. It'll really spice it up. Try it, sprinkle on a little or a lot. Get it at kroger less than $3 a can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    that belly meat is NASTY!!!! I hate to look at that big piece of meat and throw it away but I don't know anyone who will eat it.
    Man I don't know what kind of catfish you are cleaning put the belly meat from a big flat head is filet mignon of fish . That big steak on the botomm of a flat head is pure white and boneless!!!!. Cut it into 1 inch cubes ,roll it in corn meal and let them puppies swim in the hot crisco sea. MMMMMMMM Don't get any better. OF COURSE the ones I eat come from cumberland NOT the Nasty OHIO river......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbyrd View Post
    Man I don't know what kind of catfish you are cleaning put the belly meat from a big flat head is filet mignon of fish . That big steak on the botomm of a flat head is pure white and boneless!!!!. Cut it into 1 inch cubes ,roll it in corn meal and let them puppies swim in the hot crisco sea. MMMMMMMM Don't get any better. OF COURSE the ones I eat come from cumberland NOT the Nasty OHIO river......
    I haven't caugfht a flat head in 20 years man. I think it's that's silvery stuff on the inside of the body cavity. I can't stand it and neither can my family/friends. Give me your addy and I'll you send you all I catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    When I first moved to Louisiana I could not beleve what they would eat down there. I ate gar, sucked the head of a crawfish, love raw oysters and numerous other tastes i acquired while living down there. So an asian carp somebody cook it I'll try it.
    I love trying new food but had to draw the line when it came to sucking the head of a crawfish at Mardi Gras. I watched them load the basket with live craws, put them in the boil, and pull them out. When that guy broke it in half and sucked the head CLEAN, I almost puked. "That's where all the flavor is" he says. Well I could do without all that yellow and green "flavor". After flicking off the yellow bits, I ate the tail and it was ok...not great..but ok. I love raw oysters, have tried gar, I absolutely love alligator and snapping turtle. I'm more than willing to try to an Asian carp if someone close by provides it.

Post Thanks / Like

The four years we traveled the gulf, my favorite place was cajun country.Raw oysters sure, deep fried just as good. Cracklins great, A po boy with crawfish tails, yes, but what I loved most of all was community coffee,yeah ate gator,drum, both fresh and salt water, turtle I passed on, was full of red beahs and rice, and couldn't eat another mouth full.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    I love trying new food but had to draw the line when it came to sucking the head of a crawfish at Mardi Gras. I watched them load the basket with live craws, put them in the boil, and pull them out. When that guy broke it in half and sucked the head CLEAN, I almost puked. "That's where all the flavor is" he says. Well I could do without all that yellow and green "flavor". After flicking off the yellow bits, I ate the tail and it was ok...not great..but ok. I love raw oysters, have tried gar, I absolutely love alligator and snapping turtle. I'm more than willing to try to an Asian carp if someone close by provides it.
    I'm with you there man ! When I first moved down there and saw them dump that pot of crawfish out and people started eating them I thought they were freakin nuts. I'd eat the corn and taters ,but no way I was gonna eat a crawdad. Didn't take to long and I was popping them eyeballs like the rest. I was down there for 9 years so when in Rome. If you'd been down there longer you'd done the same. Kinda like that little poop vein runs down their tail just like a shrimp that's where the flavor is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    The four years we traveled the gulf, my favorite place was cajun country.Raw oysters sure, deep fried just as good. Cracklins great, A po boy with crawfish tails, yes, but what I loved most of all was community coffee,yeah ate gator,drum, both fresh and salt water, turtle I passed on, was full of red beahs and rice, and couldn't eat another mouth full.
    Coffee and chickory is where it's at local groceries at times. sometimes I have to call and have it shipped in . Nothing like a good black cup of community coffee.