Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian carp taste good?

I like ole Tim but have decided he would eat a Lama Turd and say it was good. He said and I quote, ''This fish is as good as any bluegill or crappie I have ever ate''. That my friends is a mandatory drug test in my book........Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuulease!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    I love trying new food but had to draw the line when it came to sucking the head of a crawfish at Mardi Gras. I watched them load the basket with live craws, put them in the boil, and pull them out. When that guy broke it in half and sucked the head CLEAN, I almost puked. "That's where all the flavor is" he says. Well I could do without all that yellow and green "flavor". After flicking off the yellow bits, I ate the tail and it was ok...not great..but ok. I love raw oysters, have tried gar, I absolutely love alligator and snapping turtle. I'm more than willing to try to an Asian carp if someone close by provides it.
    Same here with the crawfish. Actually didn't really think they were all they were cracked up to be. I wasn't gonna sukk guts and junk either. Seen people eat that green stuff from lobsters as well and that ain't happening. Its the guts, poop, digestive system of the thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I'm with you there man ! When I first moved down there and saw them dump that pot of crawfish out and people started eating them I thought they were freakin nuts. I'd eat the corn and taters ,but no way I was gonna eat a crawdad. Didn't take to long and I was popping them eyeballs like the rest. I was down there for 9 years so when in Rome. If you'd been down there longer you'd done the same. Kinda like that little poop vein runs down their tail just like a shrimp that's where the flavor is.
    poop vain HAHAHAHA Your suposed to soak them in salt water to clean them out befor cooking that gets rid of the Poo. I do the same with turtles I put them in a barrel with some water and salt , Change the water every day because they will shzit like a goose. I do this until they stop pooping in the water then I use just clean water for a couple more days. It seems to settle them down and the meat is not as tough..
    Makes me want to go set some jugs for turtles and take my ol 22 and shot some frogs..

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's an eye opener. The Ohio is pristine compared to that. As a rule, I don't buy fish at the grocery or in restaurants. My son worked at a large seafood restaurant in Hilton Head for a couple summers. He said the fish that was on the menu by other names came out of a frozen brick in a package labeled "Asian white fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    poop vain HAHAHAHA Your suposed to soak them in salt water to clean them out befor cooking that gets rid of the Poo. I do the same with turtles I put them in a barrel with some water and salt , Change the water every day because they will shzit like a goose. I do this until they stop pooping in the water then I use just clean water for a couple more days. It seems to settle them down and the meat is not as tough..
    Makes me want to go set some jugs for turtles and take my ol 22 and shot some frogs..
    Perge is the term I believed they used. We'd take that burlap bag of crawdad's and soak them in the bath tub. flush em' out no doubt yet the poop vein remained. That's that little black line that goes down the back of a shrimp. Lots of people will pick that out before eating a shrimp. My wife says that's diccustung yet i say that's where the spice goes when cooked.

Post Thanks / Like

so far we have gotten a 1,000 views so I'm guesing others are intrested in eating these fish it is just going to be the question of who is going to be the first on here to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    so far we have gotten a 1,000 views so I'm guesing others are intrested in eating these fish it is just going to be the question of who is going to be the first on here to do it.
    Riverrat (Chuck) and I have caught a few of these NASTY creatures on the river. They stink, they are slimy, they are completely disgusting and did I mention THEY STINK. They bleed if you look at them funny and THEY STINK. I'm telling you right now if I'm a stuck on a deserted Island with Skunks or those fish to eat, I pick the Skunk.

Pure NASTY and THEY STINK, LOL....

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I was thinking of tackling one but now, I don't know......and It is a TON of work to get 1-2 lbs of meat off a 20lb fish.......

I could starve to death before I got one prepared.......but Asian carp wings sure do look good

Post Thanks / Like

Most people have never tried carp and if they did they would be to proud to say "it was pretty good". My grandfather fried carp filets all the time when I was growing up. Along with crappie, bass, catfish, etc...We go to Florida every February for two weeks to fish at Lake Kissisimee. Another fish that people get weirded out on is "dog fish" or Chain Pickerel. These fish are tasty also. Are Carp or Chain Pickerel my favorite, heck no. Give me some crappie or walleye and i'm happier than a dog with two peckers. And some filets off a 2-4 pound bass ranks up there mighty close too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually ate regular common carp before and if prepared correctly it really wasn't that bad. But I AIN'T EATIN THAT NASTY ASIAN THING. It took Chuck three weeks to get the smell out of that boat. That thing made Doug Meyer smell good. It would have knocked a buzzard off an outhouse.

Did I mention they STINK..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I've actually ate regular common carp before and if prepared correctly it really wasn't that bad. But I AIN'T EATIN THAT NASTY ASIAN THING. It took Chuck three weeks to get the smell out of that boat. That thing made Doug Meyer smell good. It would have knocked a buzzard off an outhouse.

Did I mention they STINK..
    I was wondering how long it would take to compare the stink of the carp to Doug. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that show. Ole Tim said up front he had a back up plan. Throw the carp in his compost pile. They would make a very good soil enhancer.

I need a really big trolling net. Bow fishing them is just not efficient.