Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asian carp taste good?

Tim farmer was bow fishing for asian carp at Barkley on this weeks Ky. Afield. Said it was the biggest fish he ever shot. Can't remember the size,but it was big. He took them back to cook and taste test. He deep fried it and made the comment that it's as good as crappie and or bluegill. The smoke fish was also very tasteful according to him. He asked his partner his opinion and he raised two thumbs up. He said if he could he would give it two thumbs up also. Anyone else see this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian carp taste good?

Yeah...I watched that too. Looked like they had to work for it, but were able to get some decent fillets off of that carp. The meat looked nice and white once the red meat was cut off (just like a striper).

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try one out but I just don't know about eating it out of the ohio river.. The meat was snow white and that is usualy a good thing but for what it's worth I do have a black friend that eats carp and he said he wouldn't touch one so I don't know.. I ask him about cleaning a normal carp and he said it was about the same as the big head or stripe bass you remove the red meat and the rest of the fish is snow white and taste great. I mean the guy likes catfish but will not eat the belly meat because it is too strong and cut the red meat off his catfish like i do so he defently does not like a strong taste.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Ya know if it does, and it caught on, maybe a way to help reduce the population would be to allow large scale commercial fishing in the Ohio River.

They could film a series, and call it "Dead Last Catch".

If they sold it there, and since the species is asian, would the restaurant chain on the river be called " King-Kong Fish".

If an Asian Crap gets Carpel Tunnel, is it a Asian Tunnel or a Carpel Carp?

Does the worm in the bottom of a tequilla bottle taste good because you had to drink the bottle to get to it?

Post Thanks / Like

If you spin an Oriental person around and around,does he become disOriented?

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be real here.

They made that segment to try to get more people out on the water killing these things because they are a potential ecological disaster. A person would be more inclined to go out and bowhunt for huge carp if you could get some fillets for the freezer. If not, you have a 50 pound fish corpse to dispose of after the fun of the hunt is over. The reality of just killing a fish that big for fun and then having to deal with the aftermath is enough to deter a lot of people from hunting them (including me). So they are obviously shopping the idea of eating them to get people to acquire a taste for them and then hopefully spark a commercial industry to keep them in check. They did the same kind of segment for gar so maybe they are just tired of bow fishermen leaving carcasses everywhere.

Regardless, what they don't tell you in the fish consumption advisory that KDWF issues is that the size and age of the fish has an effect on the amount of toxins that are potentially present. For example, the 50 lbs. carp that Tim Farmer killed would have significantly more toxins than a 5 pounder but that important detail is not specified in the advisory. If I weigh 150 pounds and follow the guidelines for eating carp 6 times a year, but I'm eating meat from a huge one, I would be consuming more toxins than they recommend.

The same principle applies to predetor fish like bass and catfish because they absorb toxins that the small plankton-eating fish (blugill, shad etc.) accumulate.

I am all for getting rid of these fish by any means but it seems to be a little disingenuous to promote this practice without some warnings or updated guidelines on consuming the large fish that you would target with a bow.

Sorry for the disjointed rant and I'm not a hippie or anything but just wanted to throw that out there. Also, sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy....

Post Thanks / Like

i watched these things swim in packs of 10-20 for hours at the mouth of blue river on the ohio today. i dont think theres any stopping them from the numbers i saw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    I mean the guy likes catfish but will not eat the belly meat because it is too strong and cut the red meat off his catfish like i do so he defently does not like a strong taste.
    that belly meat is NASTY!!!! I hate to look at that big piece of meat and throw it away but I don't know anyone who will eat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Indian's used fish meat as a fertilizer for age's.... Light bulb just go off anyone...Why can't this meat / carcass's be made into some type of fertilizer or something along the lines of that.....?

Post Thanks / Like

also as far as eating huge fish goes...Look at all the African Tribe's. They eat huge fish on a daily basis and don't seem to be dying.....

On the show Monster Fish, he shows a tribe eating a huge toothy like fish that weighed like 65lbs. Also the huge catfish that was caught in Asia that weighed 850 lbs. It was served up to all the entire village to eat.... Don't hear these people complaining about mercury and all those other dangerous checmicals in the water when it comes to food.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    also as far as eating huge fish goes...Look at all the African Tribe's. They eat huge fish on a daily basis and don't seem to be dying.....

On the show Monster Fish, he shows a tribe eating a huge toothy like fish that weighed like 65lbs. Also the huge catfish that was caught in Asia that weighed 850 lbs. It was served up to all the entire village to eat.... Don't hear these people complaining about mercury and all those other dangerous checmicals in the water when it comes to food.......
    I would say that the rivers in Africa don't have the trash, sewage runoff and factory pollutants dumping into the rivers like here in the US.
    I have said it many times on here....I will never knowingly eat a fish from the Ohio, any creek or most lakes.

When I have to be warned about how much I eat because of poisons in the fish I'm not gonna eat any. That's just me....

Post Thanks / Like

Salmon and trout from the great lakes have advisorys also.I have had a lot of meals of those fish, its in the cleaning, Skinning removes toxina, red meat removal same thing, so you cut out a lot of the chemicals. BUT a smoked lake trout is worth the risk.I imagine that the asian carp would be a good food fish, if prepared properly. Any of you guys eat tilapia?,you dont want to know what they feed on.