Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

expensive boat anchor

The air compressor I purchased at Harbor Freight (made in China) in September last year will not build over 30 pounds of pressure today.

Harbor Freight said it's the spring in the pump head...but no replacement part is available as this is imported from China..they said they were very sorry.

Purchased a new Ingersol Rand yesterday. Unfortuneately it is mostly made from china and Tiwan parts, but at least it is assembled in the USA and is backed by a US company.

That Harbor Freight air compressor is one expensive boat anchor and on top of that it does not really work very well since it tends to float!!!!!

I wish I would have spent the extra 10% to begin with.

Also my Harbor Freight 1/2" breaker bar imported from China broke taking a lug off the tractor last year. Had to borrow neighbors craftsman breaker bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: expensive boat anchor

Don't expect anything from Harbor Freight to last. They are basically disposable tools....

I buy quite a bit from there - usually the stuff that I might need one time and that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. I'll buy bits and pieces for power tools or basic hand tools for the ATV so if I lose them it's not a big loss. The store has it's place kinda like Big Lots has it's place.

Post Thanks / Like

harbor freight rule #1. if it plugs in or has a motor,do not buy it.
    i was there when a guy brought a compressor back and demanded a refund. it was his 3rd one that had broke down within the hr that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I,m like you guys, I like looking around through the stuff at harbor freight, and buy mostly small tools. but I have to say, I bought a 16" drill press from harbor freight back in 1998 and it has been great. never had any thing go wrong with it. and also bought a 3hp router, it's a porter cable brand. it may be made in the usa. I'm not sure. bought it 1998 also. I'll check and see if it's made in the usa, if so it would be a collectors item. anymore, anything made in the usa is a collectors item. not even our flag is made here, most of them are made in Pakistan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    not even our flag is made here, most of them are made in Pakistan.
    The ones at Harbor Freight say "made in China"
    Hard to beat though at $5 ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought three weed eaters in 3 days. First two were Troy built, made in mexico, one ran almost an hour, the second one wouldn't start. The dept head said I was doing some thing wrong, told him to start it for me Hah.Got a huskvarna, made in sweden, same place my garcia reel was made, thats almost 30 yrs old, and works.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    That Harbor Freight air compressor is one expensive boat anchor and on top of that it does not really work very well since it tends to float!!!!!
    Can you use it for drift fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy certain things from there....but if it has a motor or needs to be plugged in, I'll usually pass on it.

I got a heck of a deal on a big rolling tool chest for the garage. The price for some of those at Lowe's or Home Depot is ridiculous - I bought one at Harbor Freight for about half the price and it's just fine for a tool box. I also bought a rolling stool, some deep well socket lugs, a set of metal files. I bought an inexpensive torque wrench that I have used to keep the lugs on my vehicles torqued to spec...it's decent. I do have an angle grinder/whizz wheel/whatever you want to call it that came from Harbor Freight - Have had it for quite awhile actually and it's okay.

My Grandfather and my Father-in-Law, rest their souls, used to have to go to Harbor Freight every time they came to Lexington to visit.

The bad part is that Lowe's, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight has pretty much caused the old school True Value store to dry up. The days of the hardware store on Main Street are just about over.