Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run tailwater.

I'm new to the board. But am looking for fly fishing locations. I am curious about Cave Run tailwater. Is it any good? What species are in there (trout, bass etc)? Is it wadeable?

Also has anyone fished the Laurel Gorge, Grayson lake tailwater, or Yatesville lake tailwater. I'm looking for trout but will take anything. I live near Ashland but work in Lexington.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cave Run tailwater.

Cave Run tailwater pretty much has ever fish in Ky in one spot. You can wade it sometimes, but it's mostly a late fall early wading type of thing.

Grayson tailwater has good carp.

Yatesville tailwater is really under rated if you ask me. Back in May I was the only one there for like 2 hours, caught over 30 crappies and about 10-15 trout and this was about a week AFTER they stocked, all right off the concrete area.

Laurel Gorge....to many people taking buckets of trout out at once and too many people just plain ol playing in the water there to really make it worth it IMO.

If you can wait til the first of OCT. if you can and hit Indian creek and Red river right below the Natural Bridge Resort.

Also if your in Ashland go to Greenup Dam if you have a 7wt or bigger rod. There's white's, wipers, bass, and crappie there but I really wouldn't use under a 6wt if I had too. I'd also keep and eye out for trout stockings at Paintsville, go about 2-3 days after they stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Licking River below Cave Run has rainbows, bass, and panfish. There are areas to bank fish right at the dam. Couple other access points too. Not sure how far down from the dam you can catch trout. I know until at least the first main gravel bar (3/4 mile below the dam). I've only bass fished it from a kayak so I really can't say much about the trout or bank fishing.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the Cave Run tailwaters a few days ago with no luck.Some fishing with live bait were getting a few cats and bluegill.One young boy got a nice cat.
    Been wondering if there are sauger and walleye in the late fall and early spring.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Got a sauger on a tube several weeks back, so there are at least some in there.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Thursday night with live bait,only thing caught were a couple drum about 10 lb each.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Castnet

Anyone know what the surface area of the cave run lake tailwater is? I was wondering if you can use a castnet to catch shad. It has a sign posted at the ramp and on up by the spillway that shad can be caught from there just doesn't say how.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1027 View Post
    Anyone know what the surface area of the cave run lake tailwater is? I was wondering if you can use a castnet to catch shad. It has a sign posted at the ramp and on up by the spillway that shad can be caught from there just doesn't say how.
    I don't know ... probably be best to call the KDFWR and ask them. But, if there are signs that say you CAN catch Shad from there, then one would have to assume that all legal methods would be OK to use. The only problem with assuming that, is the CO and county judge might "assume" otherwise !!

The "spillway" water is the Licking River ... which empties into the Ohio River (near Cincynasty) ... and the Asian Carp invaders could make their way up to the spillway. It might be OK if you use them in the waters below the spillway, but DEFINITELY DO NOT transport them up to the main lake. Even if they LOOK like Shad, they may be juvenile Asian Carp. They're pretty hard to distinguish from each other when they're small.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks

Ok thank you.