Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon Boat vs. Kayak

I have a little 10ft Jon boat that I've been recently thinking about trading in for a kayak. Just wanted some opinions on wether or not this would be a good idea. I know I can carry a lot more gear in the Jon boat but I figure I could sacrifice some gear for more versatility. I've never put a motor on the Jon boat so I'm used to paddling and I usually fish alone anyways so the lack of room for another person won't be an issue. But here's the kicker... I've actually never been in a kayak before so I didn't know if this would be a bonehead move or not. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jon Boat vs. Kayak

Go too a dealer that you can demo them on water.I didn't but only bought 1 before i got a Coosa by Jackson.I now have a trailer too haul it and pull it with my HHR with no problem.Get about 27mpg.With the trailer i can haul everything i need too set up a camp.As far a gear i found out less is best.I didn't think i would ever camp in a tent again but now think its the only way too go camping & fishing.
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

If you have never fished out of a kayak before, I highly recommending at least trying out a few different onces before you pick one. Some folks prefer the sit on top, others sit in. You can set up a yak with depth finder, rod holders, and all kinds of other gear. I picked up one last summer. Been an excellent way to fish a few rivers and smaller lakes.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished from a kayak, but i have fished from a canoe. I felt that the canoe was hard to fish from, to much drifting. I always seem i have to paddle all of the time to stay into the position from where I want to cast, it possibly could be me. I bet the john boat can go almost anywhere a kayak can, also the john boat is already yours.
    Just my two cents for what it is worth.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what are the pros and cons of the sit in vs. sit on kayaks? I have an opportunity to purchase a "sit in" fairly cheap and never even considered the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what are the pros and cons of the sit in vs. sit on kayaks? I have an opportunity to purchase a "sit in" fairly cheap and never even considered the difference.
    I thought that a sit in was better till i got a sit on top.Which was my 2nd kayak.When you hit thin water its easy too just step off and let it drift on down the creek.I stand up most of the time too fish because most of the fish i catch i see the strike.Thats how close you are too the action.
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hobie pro angler and I love it. There is loads of info online that anwser all your questions about kayaks. I have paddled a small jon boat, and a kayak is much better imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Not hijacking at all. I was actually going to ask the same question you just beat me to it. Ive had my eye on the "sit on" kayaks but wasn't sure if I was heading in the wrong direction being inexperienced.

Post Thanks / Like

By all means check out different models before buying. I have seen to many people make the wrong choice after a purchase. I prefer the sit in cockpit type as when outfitted with the proper skirt will keep water out of boat and keep you from getting swamped under certain conditions. Keeps cold water out and depending on kayak you can flip back up if you go up side down. Like rain Check I stand outside in water mostly while fishing. Sit on top do have their advantages and both are great. I prefer to sit in the boat on the water . Cockpit kayaks keep your lower body dry and water out as sit on's are subject to take on water from waves and turbulent waters. Although most sit on's I've seen are self bailing. A cockpit type kayak is not. Flip it and fill it full of water can be a chore especially if you have to swim to shore and drag it with you. Keep your 10' jon boat as you'll miss it when it's gone. Rain Checks sit on model is really a nice fishing kayak. Yet different strokes for different folks when it comes to kayak choice.

Post Thanks / Like

By all means go demo some boats. Canoe KY has a bunch. I have two because I didn't demo first, but I love my Coosa by Jackson. It is great for what I do most fishing rivers and creeks. It is really a nice layout to fish. I do like my first kayak for fishing lakes, but couldn't imagine it on the creeks where I get in and out all the time to wade/ get through shallow riffles, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both sit in and sit on before I bought. I prefer the sit on. Easier to get in and out if you want to wade a section of creek. I also have found the sit on easier to set up for fishing. Plenty of room to add rod holders and fish finder. Easy access to my cooler in the back and large plano. I fish either slow moving water or lakes for the most part, not rapids. Had it out in Buzzards Bay up in Cape Cod earlier this year too. Have not fished the yak during cold weather season. The sit on does seem to be a "wetter" ride.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

If I were thinking about upgrading, I'd be looking at just registering the boat and adding a trolling motor, but that's just me.

A lot of it just depends on what kind of waters you plan on fishing. If you're going to be covering a lot of water, or fishing streams, the kayak would be more efficient, but if you're just hitting up little farm ponds and wide open small lakes then a trolling motor on the jon would be better.

I like having the extra room for stretching out or taking my dog along with me.