Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To trailer covered or not

My cover has taken a beating this summer because I tow with boat covered. By beating I mean stretched tie downs color rubs on my fiberglass from the cover being wind blown. So what determines to trailer covered or not. I mean a cover is replaceable, just don't want road dirt in my carpet and seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To trailer covered or not

Quote Originally Posted by mybentrod View Post
    My cover has taken a beating this summer because I tow with boat covered. By beating I mean stretched tie downs color rubs on my fiberglass from the cover being wind blown. So what determines to trailer covered or not. I mean a cover is replaceable, just don't want road dirt in my carpet and seats.
    In the winter and spring I keep it covered. In the rain as well, but if it is a nice summer day, I will run back home with the cover off. For the most part it stays covered, but my cover doesn't rub weird on the fiberglass or stretch the straps. It has a custom cover that came with the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I tow my boat with the cover on when I plan on stopping somewhere for a period of time other than where I'm launching. Like eating at a restaurant etc. It won't stop a thief yet it kinda keeps honest people honest. If they can't see it their less likely to steal it. To easy to walk by a parked boat and just help yourself to a rod or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Cover? What's a cover? I like the dirt and fish smell in my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Used to tow with mine on for trips over 4 hours (out of town trips) but noticed my gas mileage took a hit. Around 3mpg.....one of the pros in Bassmaster magazine said the same about towing with a cover on. Something about the drag it created?

Post Thanks / Like

I always tow with the cover on. I'm not a big fan of rock chips, road grime, oil, and any other debris on and in my boat! I don't have any issues with my cover rubbing on the fiberglass, it's a custom fit cover made for my boat. Also a cover is alot easier to replace than is carpet, upholstery, seats, etc. why have a cover if you're not going to use it? Not to mention if you need to pull into say a gas station, tackle shop, wal-mart, etc. and not have to worry that your electronics, rods, reels, tackle and everything else you own laying out in the open for anyone to just grab, at least with the cover they have to do some work to get into your rig. If you have a cover......USE IT!!

Post Thanks / Like

I never tow with the cover on. The cover is like a sail and creates drag - that drag also causes the cover to beat around, put pressure on the seams, and wears it out prematurely. Plus a cover rubbing on the gel coat isn't quite a good thing either - causes scratches if it isn't 100% clean and waxed.

As for dirt and such in the boat, it's made to be outside...that's why it has outdoor carpet. If it gets wet, so what. That's what it was made to do. I really haven't ever had any road grime or rock chips to speak of either; the truck does all the blocking of that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Not to mention if you need to pull into say a gas station, tackle shop, wal-mart, etc. and not have to worry that your electronics, rods, reels, tackle and everything else you own laying out in the open for anyone to just grab, at least with the cover they have to do some work to get into your rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    If they can't see it their less likely to steal it. To easy to walk by a parked boat and just help yourself to a rod or whatever.
    Do you guys just leave stuff laying around on the deck of your boat? Seems to me like most boats come with lockable rod lockers and storage compartments...why do you not use those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Do you guys just leave stuff laying around on the deck of your boat? Seems to me like most boats come with lockable rod lockers and storage compartments...why do you not use those?
    My rock lockers won't hold a 7' rod (where its an older boat- '95 Ranger), which most of mine are, so I have to leave my rods strapped to the deck. I've not seen any difference in fuel mileage from traveling with my cover and i've done it both ways, it's a tight form fitting cover made by Ranger Boats. I just want to make my boat last as long as possible! A cover is alot cheaper to replace than carpet and seats. Yeah its made to be outside but by that logic I guess you should just let it sit outside the garage with no cover and just let it get rained on and let the UV rays decimate your gel/clear coat, fade the carpet etc. As for road grime and oil I've trailered my boat for hundreds of miles at a time with no cover and seen the seats and carpet with a "film" of grime on them, if you trailer with your cover you'll notice all the crap on it that would otherwise be in your boat. Also your tires from your truck will grip rocks and road debris and WILL sling it up on your boat, thats why they make trailer skirts to deflect gravels and what not. trailering without a cover is not for me, I like to keep my equipment as clean and in as good a shape as possible. Why have a cover if you're not going to use it?

Post Thanks / Like

To each his own I guess......

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/bass-boat-cover

Here is an article on this very topic. Zell Rowland actually disputes the claim that a cover will reduce your fuel mileage and a proper fitting cover will actually increase your mileage becuase the air will flow over the cover and not into the boat, which is where the drag is created.

"...Rowland says boaters would be surprised by the amount of road scum that will collect in the carpet or upholstery."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/bass-boat-cover

Here is an article on this very topic. Zell Rowland actually disputes the claim that a cover will reduce your fuel mileage and a proper fitting cover will actually increase your mileage becuase the air will flow over the cover and not into the boat, which is where the drag is created.
    ."
    That sounds logical, but has anyone tried it to see?
    Plenty of tests done that proove pick-up trucks get better
    milage with the tailgate closed instead of laying down.
    Contrary to what most would think, so I wonder about a boat.
    Can it be the same effect?