Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barometric pressure

I've always heard that low barometric pressure will increase the fish's aggressive feeding patterns. Does anybody keep track of this when going out on the water? Like most, I just fish whenever I get the opportunity but I've noticed this week the bite has slowed down significantly and after checking the weather for my area I saw that the barometric pressure for my area (northern ky) has been increasing lately. I know it probably has SOME affect but I was just wondering if anyone noticed this to be a consistent pattern and if so how they change their presentation to counter it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barometric pressure

Don't keep up with it cause I fish when get the chance to go. But I do know when all the sticks in the water are floating vertical it can be a tough bite.

Post Thanks / Like

same as skinny,don't keep up with it much,but if high pressure gives them a headache like it does me i can see why they don't eat.woke up this morning to pretty high blues and a throbbing headache.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read theories regarding this. One theory is that when the pressure is high there is more pressure on the fish's stomach which makes it get the sensation of being full and hence not apt to feed. During falling pressure or low pressure obviously the pressure is lower and the fish's stomach would feel empty making the fish more apt to feed out of hunger. Not sure if its scientific or not, but it is a theory. There is no question the barometer affects the way fish feed, why exactly this is I don't think anyone really knows.

Post Thanks / Like

The scientific theories on how barometric pressure directly affects the fish doing the feeding have more to do with the supposed effect on the fish's swim bladder than its craw, but again, nobody really knows for sure. But the theory that makes the most sense to me is that the change in feeding patterns isn't the game fish reacting directly to the change in barometric pressure. It's a chain reaction that starts with what the barometric pressure does to the tiny plankton that the baitfish feed on. Those tend to rise up the water column in response to falling pressure, especially if it's dropping rapidly. The baitfish move in to feed on the destabilized plankton, and the game fish follow them. After, as Dave Stewart has posted many times, if you want to find the fish, find the baitfish, right?

This article gives a pretty good explanation:
    http://www.arkansasstripers.com/how-...-behaviour.htm

This article isn't as scientific, but it does give a few (VERY few) tips on how to adjust your tactics with the weather:
    http://www.lake-link.com/info/barometric_pressure.cfm

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a firm believer in the "sticks floating vertical = tough bite". Seems like every time they are like that, I have to slow down and grind out the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that my best days of fishing have been shortly before and during rain, hence falling pressure. The idea that the pressure makes the fish believe it is full is pretty interesting and makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard that about the sticks floating vertically. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for that from now on. It's crazy how many little things like that can tell you exactly what type of bait you need to be using.

And I'll second that on fishing right before and during the rain. Some of my highest numbers have come on rainy days. And one of the best things about fishing in the rain... It keeps all the not so serious anglers away so you usually get the water to yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely, if ever post, but seeing the sticks comment, I had to. I was fishing Camp Nelson on Friday morning and noticed the sticks were vertical. I paid no attention to it until I read this post. I only caught 2 small largemouths that day. In the future, I may have to go back home when I see this.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most, I don't get as much oppurtunity to fish as I would like. If the pressure is high and the sticks are vertical, I just downsize, slow down, and/or try to fish tighter to cover. If that doesn't work I tie on a square billed crank and bump it into everything I can find. Whether the fish have a full feeling or not I have no clue, but a reaction strike is exactly that. Put it on their nose and eventually at least a couple aren't going to be able to resist the urge.