Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Report

Put the canoe in at Helms today. Flow was 3k, water temperature 55 degrees. The river hasn't been this cold in August in several years. I guess all the rain has kept the lake higher than the Corps wants but the result is colder water at the bottom. Action started out slow--nothing on a nymph and egg combo. Switched to a streamer and got a couple short hits. After a while I put on a hopper, just for the heck of it, and a nice brown came up and swallowed it. A few minutes later, a rainbow did the same. This was in shallow water just off a gravel beach. Later I went back to a weighted nymph and the bite turned on. This was between four and five-thirty, after the sun got off the water a bit and some cloud cover came over. Fish were stocker size but fought well in the cold water. Saw sporadic mayflies and caddis. Late in the afternoon, there were lots of midges around. Don't know how long the river will be at this flow and temperature but it's about as good as it's been in quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River Report

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    Put the canoe in at Helms today. Flow was 3k, water temperature 55 degrees. The river hasn't been this cold in August in several years. I guess all the rain has kept the lake higher than the Corps wants but the result is colder water at the bottom. Action started out slow--nothing on a nymph and egg combo. Switched to a streamer and got a couple short hits. After a while I put on a hopper, just for the heck of it, and a nice brown came up and swallowed it. A few minutes later, a rainbow did the same. This was in shallow water just off a gravel beach. Later I went back to a weighted nymph and the bite turned on. This was between four and five-thirty, after the sun got off the water a bit and some cloud cover came over. Fish were stocker size but fought well in the cold water. Saw sporadic mayflies and caddis. Late in the afternoon, there were lots of midges around. Don't know how long the river will be at this flow and temperature but it's about as good as it's been in quite a while.
    Man! Sounds nice! I need to get over there next week, might be my last time to fish it before we move. Thx for the report!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River Report

It was on fire a week ago at 6k. Over 150 fish in two days. I'll be back down there next weekend. Look for the two guys in the 16' Towee skiff.