Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Newb needs some help - rod, reels, and tips

Okay, the last time I really went fishing I was probably 7 or 8. I have just started to go again (with very little luck).

I have purchased a couple cheap combos (Daiwa D-shocks) and have used those the last few times I have been out, but would like to buy one or two nicer setups for the fall. I am from Louisville, KY, don't own a boat (so bank fishing), would like to fish for trout in streams when I am hiking and bass or whatever any other time. I may purchase a canoe or kayak to fish out of in the future. I think the Falls of the Ohio may be where I go on a regular basis.

I guess I need some honest advice on rod/reel selection. The more I read the more it seems you "need" a different rod for every lure you cast. But when I read the descriptions of the recommended combos, it usually says 6'6" - 7' med-med/heavy with a soft tip. Am I missing something? I am sticking with spinning gear right now, BTW.

I am also trying to make sense of the lures, baits, and rigs that people use and how best to fish them.

Any help would be appreciated. Please keep any advice as simply worded as possible, I am still trying to get the terminology down. Also, any reading material might help too. Lastly, if anyone in the area wouldn't mind someone tagging along one day, some knowledgable company would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb needs some help - rod, reels, and tips

I'd recommend going to bass pro, getting the "graphite series" they are the newer model of the old graphite 96, i used these in the 70's. Good rod for the price. Reg. Around $34. On sale around $29. Get a 6'6" med heavy for worms, and "bottom baits", and a 7' med. For casting light spinners and crankbaits, as far as reels, i use a mitchell 300xe, bought it used for $20. And a shimano senna, got it for $20. These will get you started, and
    later if you want you can get the "pricey" stuff... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb needs some help - rod, reels, and tips

When you get to the BPS, speak with some of the guys working behind the reel counter. Those are really a lot of help. Tell them what you would like to do, and they'll point you in the right direction. "Good Fishing"