Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Boggs

Post Thanks / Like

West Boggs

Anyone heard about the status of west Boggs? I heard they are going to drain it next year. I hope that this is just a rumor, but I know they did it back in the 90's.

It is the one place in the entire Midwest where you have a legitimate chance at a trophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Boggs

I've heard the same thing from a couple of people. I've heard this year and I've heard within two years. Sure hope it doesn't happen, but it sounds like it's going to whether I like it or not! I'd like to hear some more information on their plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard they are going to drain it down low , do a chemical fish kill to the lake and the creeks coming in to try to eleminate the gizzard shad problem. Aparantly they did that a few years back but they were introduced again. If someone is introducing these , they should know they are a problem fish , now threadfin shad on the other hand........ Gizzard shad just get to big to fast and eat up the food that the smaller young of the year bass need , and the bluegill/crappie need. I have heard that the bluegill fishing is horrible there. I agree with the big bass being good there now , but at some point that will be a problem too , because the young dont have much of a chance anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
    I heard they are going to drain it down low , do a chemical fish kill to the lake and the creeks coming in to try to eleminate the gizzard shad problem. Aparantly they did that a few years back but they were introduced again. If someone is introducing these , they should know they are a problem fish , now threadfin shad on the other hand........ Gizzard shad just get to big to fast and eat up the food that the smaller young of the year bass need , and the bluegill/crappie need. I have heard that the bluegill fishing is horrible there. I agree with the big bass being good there now , but at some point that will be a problem too , because the young dont have much of a chance anymore.

I only wish that threadfin shad could survive and reproduce in those waters. That would be great. But I think that the waters get too cold during the winter months to support the Thread Fin Shad. Thread Fin's live further South. I did read that they were present in the Ohio River around Posey County and in Hovey's Lake. But Hoveys and the River also have those stupid Asian Carp.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe your correct about the Threadfin. Unfortunately. However , I am sure when its 28 degrees here , its 28 degrees in Posey county too !! Maybe it would work ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
    I believe your correct about the Threadfin. Unfortunately. However , I am sure when its 28 degrees here , its 28 degrees in Posey county too !! Maybe it would work ??
    I was thinking the same thing to myself. Surely it's too cold during the Winter Months for those Threadfin Shad to survive in Hovey's. I would think that even the Ohio River down there gets too cold for them.

I'm not quite sure where I read that there were threadfin shad at Hoveys. It may have been on the IDNR web site somewhere. I was a doubter on this but there was something in the story that made me think, Maybe it's true? I have not seen any as I don't fish Hovey's so I have no personal experience with this. Heck, I can't even remember how I learned of this. .

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the DNR and the lake manager there are quick to point the finger and say that people are putting the shad in there and maybe that is true... maybe it is not, but the fact of the matter is that as long as they allow people to use minnows and minnow buckets down there they are going to keep having the shad as well as other undesirable species get back into the lake. They can't explain how the carp got back into the lake and I don't know anyone that would want carp in the lake for any reason. It would be logical that however the carp got into the lake, that the shad came the same way.
    I wish they would instead focus on habit and adding aquatic vegetation to the lake. I know that a lot of land owners don't like the vegetation, but it is a proven fact that a lake with vegetation can support 10 times the bass and panfish population than a lake without. The vegetation also filters the water and makes it much cleaner.
    I have caught a multiple limits everytime I have been there this year and several fish over 7lbs. There is no other lake in the entire midwest that you can do that on a regular basis. It is like cutting of the nose off to spite the face.
    ... just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

... Also, EVERY TIME I have been there this year I have caught more bass between 8 to 12 inches in length than I have caught keepers which points to the fact that there is still good recruitment on this lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOGMONSTER View Post
    ... Also, EVERY TIME I have been there this year I have caught more bass between 8 to 12 inches in length than I have caught keepers which points to the fact that there is still good recruitment on this lake.
    that is a good sign. 2 years ago when i went, i never caught a fish under 4.5 lbs. i wasnt complaining.lol

Post Thanks / Like

The intent is there, but a lot needs to fall into place for it to happen. Won't happen this year and won't happen next year. 2013 at the earliest and that might be pushing it. It's on the long term plan though.

-SBB

Post Thanks / Like

I've always hoped, I mean, heard they were going to drain it and make it part of the golf course?

"one place in the entire Midwest where you have a legitimate chance at a trophy."....One of many, many places.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as threadfin go, they are in all 900 miles of the Ohio River. I've never fished a pool and not seen them.