Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

The U in Hot Water

Well from USC to Ohio State and now The University of Miami. It looks like Nevin Shapiro, who is serving 20 years in prison, says he provided money, prostitutes, bounties for big plays, access to yahts(sp) and other stuff to 72 current and former players. At least 6 coaches participated or were aware of the violations. Shapiro says he has pictures and 10 years of bank statements to prove it. I smell DEATH PENALTY for The U for being a repeat offender.

Face it NCAA, EVERYBODY AND I MEAN EVERYBODY, is breaking the rules. Way too much money, way too much emphasis on filling the stadiums, way too much emphasis on winning. How many coaches get a raise and bonus for finishing last in their conference but have all their kids graduate on time? These kids are ATHLETE/students. I have a niece that just graduated from Transylvania a double major with a 4.0 and a ton of volunteer work and was passed over for graduate school by UK, UNC and Florida. Were talking one of the top kids in her graduating class with 2 degrees and she does not get accepted into a graduate program. Let her have a 2.5 with a crossover and a jumpshot and see how fast UCONN, Tenn and other top women's basketball programs would come calling. 100,000 don't pack into Ann Arbor to see Michigan and Ohio State in a spelling contest. Demarcus Cousins was not recruited nor did he attend UK due to their excellence in academics. If the NCAA dug deep enough into EVERY athletic program in America then synchronized swimming would be competed at the Rose Bowl every year and that would be the Granddaddy of them ALL because all other sports would be on Death Row as will The U

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The U in Hot Water

The Chairman of NCAA Infractions Committee is Paul Dee. The AD at The U during the bulk of the violations was....... Wait for it ...... Wait for it ..... PAUL DEE. No wonder the NCAA Infractions are so inconsistent the Lion is guarding the Antelope heard the Wolf is guarding the hen house Tom is guarding Jerry. Let's take a guy who is running a program where 72 athlete and 6 former coaches are implicated during his tenure and put him I'm charge of all the rules for all the universities

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood, I would be willing to venture that your niece didn't get passed over for grad school because of an athlete. Most athletes rarely make it to grad school!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Elwood, I would be willing to venture that your niece didn't get passed over for grad school because of an athlete. Most athletes rarely make it to grad school!
    I knew I did not say it right. My point was a 4.0 double major with all the extra curricular stuff she did and she was passed over for grad school. But if she was a 2.5 student with a crossover and a jumpshot colleges would be begging for her services. Athletes come before students all day long

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    I knew I did not say it right. My point was a 4.0 double major with all the extra curricular stuff she did and she was passed over for grad school. But if she was a 2.5 student with a crossover and a jumpshot colleges would be begging for her services. Athletes come before students all day long
    You just said what I have been saying all along. It's evident in the High Schools and elementary schools. They supply a bus for the football team, the basketball team, the wrestling team and parents have to drive the Academic Team to competitions because there is no money for a bus. Don't tell me that the boosters provide that money because they don't. Academics is not as important to our school boards as athletics. It's because they don't bring in the money!

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is a scandal to be proud of. I mean if you're going to rob a bank don't be leaving with 10 or 20 bucks. None of this trading memorabilia for tattoos crap - that's peewee league Ohio State.

Let "the U" show all you wannabes how it's done. Prostitutes/Ho's, Yachts, money, clothes, TVs, abortions, bounties. "The U" flies first class all you midwest and left coast wannabes walk on back to the coach section where you belong!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psprowler View Post
    Now this is a scandal to be proud of. I mean if you're going to rob a bank don't be leaving with 10 or 20 bucks. None of this trading memorabilia for tattoos crap - that's peewee league Ohio State.

Let "the U" show all you wannabes how it's done. Prostitutes/Ho's, Yachts, money, clothes, TVs, abortions, bounties. "The U" flies first class all you midwest and left coast wannabes walk on back to the coach section where you belong!
    Yea, call it Prowler, you already know.......Said in my best Playa voice..lol

I'm not shocked at all, ''The U'', God I hate that, has produced more gangbanging thugs over the years than ANY other school times THREE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom523 View Post
    You just said what I have been saying all along. It's evident in the High Schools and elementary schools. They supply a bus for the football team, the basketball team, the wrestling team and parents have to drive the Academic Team to competitions because there is no money for a bus. Don't tell me that the boosters provide that money because they don't. Academics is not as important to our school boards as athletics. It's because they don't bring in the money!
    Well I will tell you that they do! At least out here where I live they do. The money comes from the boosters and not only pays for the football team to ride the bus, but for the other sports as well.

Edited to add: Elwood, I see what you were trying to say now and agree that you are probably right. I just misunderstood your first post.

Post Thanks / Like

The state of College and Pro sports is in such sad shape. Seems everyday another college team is under investigation. You can take Terrell Pryor alone and find about everything wrong with college sports. Then after all wrong that he did he gets REWARDED by being allowed into the supplemental draft. He is to be suspended the first 5 games of his NFL career for his part in breaking the rules in college. The NFLPA said he should fight the suspension. Here is a kid that broke every rule in college imaginable, flaunted it in the NCAA's face when he showed up the day Tressel left in a brand new 350ZX, and the NFL union has the moxy to tell him to fight the suspension. He is not even drafted, not signed a contract, therefore NOT a part of the union but somebody else is telling him it is OK TO BREAK THE RULES. If there was any justice in the world and if the NFL had any standards the owners would get together and set an example of not drafting this kid. One way for the Professional sports to help the College game would be if you get caught violating NCAA rules to the point you are suspended games would be you are not welcome in the league for a number of years. The Athlete/Students MAY think twice about the few extra thousand they take under the table in college if it jeopardizes a few million in the pros

Post Thanks / Like

The Playa's and I mean the Playa's catch my drift have learned they can hold schools hostage for the higher bidder. Guys like World Wide Wes have spent a great deal of time making this known. Who's ever got the deepest pockets with BENEFITS again if you catch my drift get all the good Playa's. It really is that simple..

Post Thanks / Like

Until the punishment that Athletes in both College and Pros EXCEEDS the crime, it will never end. Until College Coaches are suspended for a full year and put on probation after that they will not stop cheating. As long as schools like Ohio State turn their heads to blatant violations. As long as schools like Ohio State give Tressell a "does not meet expectation" grade when it comes to reporting violations to the compliance departmen in 2004, but then does not give him another performance evaluation, it will never end. There are many different management styles. One is called "Manage by Intimidation". This style works short term to clean up companies but not long term. The NCAA is so out of control that they need to Manage by Intimidation for a while. Give HARSH penalties to everybody breaking the rules. Set serious examples that you are not playing by the OLD rules anymore. Do this for a couple of years until all schools are in line then back off a bit in the harshness. The Pros are the same way. Fining Multi millionaires $25,000 is like fining each of us a nickel. If everybody knew a speeding ticket only cost a mickle and no raise in our car insurance, there would be Autobon's in downtown Frankfort at 4:30 on main street. The connector would be like Nascar's Watkins Glen road course. A nickle is not even a slap on the wrist. These pros get away with everything. OJ killed 2 people in cold with the victims blood on his gloves, shoes, in his car and Cato busted his alibai but he still got off. Sports needs to set EXAMPLES over and over to stop the USC, OSU, Miami and the rest of the cheaters. Immediate and swift discipline WORKS. When you was a kid and you saw that glowing red burner on the stove. It was pretty so you reach out and touch it. OUCH, burnt the heck out of your hand. A week later you see that same glowing red burner and for a split second you think about, then your brains associates touching burner EQUATES to immediate pain and a lasting burn that hurt. Same thing needs to happen in college and pro sports, swift firm discipline and stop charging nickels for violations

Post Thanks / Like

What kills me in all of this, is that the coaches and players doing this crap do not get punished, the coach gets a million dollar buyout, goes and coaches another team the next year, and gets paid millions, the player goes to the nfl and makes millions, and the only people that suffer from their cheating is the kids still on the football team working their butts off, the ncaa will take the schools scholarships away, no tv, blah blah blah, but they dont do **** to the coaches and players cheating!!! I bet if they started suspending coaches for a couple of years, not allowing them to coach any div 1 school, and the nfl would balls up and tell these kids if you are caught cheating, we wont let you play in the nfl for 5 years, this crap would stop immediately!!! but instead the kids still in school that did nothing wrong suffer!