Search Fishin.com

Thread: Rod/reel care

Post Thanks / Like

Rod/reel care

I just purchased a couple nice rods and reels. These are my first good combos. I currently have them stored in my cellar (the only option I really have for storage).

Is there any issue with them seeing some humidity? The cellar can stay damp, but never wet (yet at least). The floors stay visibly dry. I just don't want to ruin a good investment. Also, what should I do to properly take care of the rods and reels. I am new to fishing, so sorry if these questions seem pretty dumb.

Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod/reel care

I'd start by reading the care instructions that come with your reel. That is if it came in a box or package. Manufacturer will guide you through care and maintenance. Yet your gonna get some good advice from these guys on this board.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is damp I would worry about corrosion if they will be stored for long periods but they will probably be fine. I take a q tip with alcohol to the guides and wipe rods down if they're dirty ...that's about it. You should be able to google and find some instructions or videos to cleaning and lubing your reels. once per season is usually what I hear recommended. This is also a great time to upgrade bearings and drag while you have it apart. You could send them off and pay someone to clean for $20-30 a reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Your line is the first thing that will deteriorate. You may think about removing the reels from the rods for long periods of storage and storing them seperatley. As for the rods, make sure you're not leaning them against the wall on the tips. Try to stand them as vertical as possible or put the pressure of leaning them as close to the butt section as possible.