Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For all of you river/creek smallmouth anglers

Drew Gregory’s River Bassin Tournament Trail Heads to Frankfort, Kentucky August 27

I found this article this morning and thought maybe some of you would be interested in it. Too short of notice for me but it's something I might consider if they bring it back next year.

August 22, 2011 – Professional Kayak Angler Pioneer Drew Gregory brings his 2011 River Bassin Tournament Trail, presented by Jackson Kayak, to Frankfort, Ky., next week. The tournament will be hosted by Canoe Kentucky on Saturday, August 27, and will feature some of the top kayak anglers from across the country.

“Kentucky is known for it’s thousands of miles of creek fishing where it is not uncommon to tangle with a 20-inch smallmouth bass,” Gregory said. “It is because of this that we had to make a stop at Canoe Kentucky, as they are located in one of the best river fishing regions of the country.”

“Anglers may choose to fish the mighty Kentucky River, which also boasts great bass fishing, but I’m sure most will not be able to control the urge to get deep into the scenic creeks that make Kentucky so special,” Gregory continued. “As with every stop, the decision to fish ‘big water’ or ‘small water’ will be a tough one. Surprisingly, many tournaments have been won by the small water underdogs so this has that same sort of upset written all over it!”

This year’s trail has expanded from five to 12 stops across the United States, from Texas to Wisconsin, down to Georgia and stops in between, making it the largest paddle-powered fishing tournament trail in the world. The tournament helps to increase positive awareness of the eco-friendly sport of kayak fishing.

The eco-friendly trail is driven by a unique, conservation-minded, paddle-power only, catch-measure-photo-release format that promotes sustainability within the environment. Anglers will fish in surrounding rivers and take a photo of their catch on a standard measuring board given to all anglers. Upon taking the photo, they release the fish back into the water for future generations to enjoy. Anglers then return to the host location to fill out their scorecard, turn in their camera’s memory card, and discover their placements at the “results show” that evening.

The “results show” is displayed in a slide show format where Gregory MC’s and recognizes the top anglers in all categories (individual angler, team, youth and top female) on stage to share their fish photos and discuss with them their day on the water.

Throughout the trail, more than $60,000 in prizes from numerous sponsors will be given away, most notably from – Jackson Kayak, Diablo Paddlesports, NuCanoe, Bass Pro Shops, Aqua Bound & Bending Branches paddles, Kokatat Watersports Wear, Paddle and Trail, Amazon Expeditions, KayakBassFishing.com, RiverBassin.com, Gorilla Glue, GoPro Cameras, RAM Mounts, Tallon Systems, and Kayak Angler Magazine.

The trail began in Charlotte, N.C., on April 2, and is slated to finish up September 10, in Roanoke, Va., one of the country’s premier outdoor lifestyle regions. Due to the area’s pristine rivers and lakes, Roanoke makes for the ideal setting to host the trail’s grand finale, where food, live music, a separate lake tournament and a film festival will take place along with awarding the River Bassin series champion.

The trail is also poised to raise money for the ALS Foundation. The foundation is instrumental in assisting those with Lou Gehrig’s Disease, as well as searching for a cure to a disease that can affect anyone, of any race, age, gender or social class at any time.

Upcoming Events Include:

River Bassin Bedrock Series:
    Frankfort, Ky. – August 27 | Canoe Kentucky
    Roanoke, Va. **Grand Finale** – September 10

The entry deadline is Friday, Aug. 26, with a mandatory pre-tournament meeting 7 p.m. Friday the same night at 7323 Peaks Mill Rd, Frankfort 40601. Tournament check-in time is 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 27 at the same location. Registration fees range from $40-60 per person. For more information on the tournament trail, its stops across the U.S., its sponsors, hosts, partners and causes visit www.riverbassintrail.com.

About Drew Gregory:

Drew Gregory, known as “BasserDrew” to many, is a professional kayak angler and an expert in bass fishing America’s rivers and creeks. Drew hails from Atlanta, Ga., and currently resides in Charlotte, N.C. He has been river fishing since he could handle a rod and reel, but for the past nine years has been pioneering the sport of kayak fishing in freshwater rivers. Standing up and fishing out of his signature series kayak, The Jackson Kayak Coosa, for smallmouth, largemouth and shoal bass is his passion. Gregory has logged more than 700 river kayak fishing trips and is the co-founder of RiverBassin.com and the River Bassin Tournament Trail (RiverBassinTrail.com). Visit www.DrewGregory.com for more information.

Content provided by Outdoor Hub, The Outdoor Information Engine - Drew Gregory’s River Bassin Tournament Trail Heads to Frankfort, Kentucky August 27

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For all of you river/creek smallmouth anglers

I,ve been talking agout it all summer on this site guess you missed that..............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    I,ve been talking agout it all summer on this site guess you missed that..............
    Yeah I just joined the forum about a month ago and didn't see anything on it. Wasnt trying to steal your thunder. My apologies.

So I take it you're going to fish it?

Post Thanks / Like

Now tournaments on the creeks, OMG..............Major EYEROLL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    Yeah I just joined the forum about a month ago and didn't see anything on it. Wasnt trying to steal your thunder. My apologies.

So I take it you're going to fish it?
    Will be my 4th this yr.Love taking a picture & then release the fish & think all tournaments should.If your not going too eat it put it back too fight again.Too many fish die and most tournament anglers won't take their dead fish home & eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    Will be my 4th this yr.Love taking a picture & then release the fish & think all tournaments should.If your not going too eat it put it back too fight again.Too many fish die and most tournament anglers won't take their dead fish home & eat them.
    I agree! This is an awesome way to conduct a tournament. I hope to be able to participate next year. Well good luck to ya this weekend! Post your pics on here after the tournament.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Not what you think at all. My understanding is that it is not a tournament on a single creek, but that it is within a so many mile radius and any creek within the raidus is fair game.

Plus like raincheck said the fish are photographed and immediately released.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Excuse me? I feel this tournament is a wonderful idea, and I plan to participate in it. Sure, its not for everyone, but then again, tournament fishing from a bass boat in a lake is not everyone's cup of tea either. Yet you dont see me going around making extremely sarcastic posts about traditional bass tournaments.

Some people prefer the serenity, the solitude, the wonder of being out on a creek like the Elkhorn, or the Hickman, using nothing but the power of your arms to get from point A to point B. To catch a fish, photograph it, release it to be caught another day. To become more aware of the effects pollution can have on our rivers and streams, and how best to conserve these wonderful resources.

Some people just dont care for whats become a money-hungry, overly competitive, often inconsiderate group of boaters flying down the lake at 80mph, often times having many, many fish end up dead in the process.

Now of course, not every person who participates in bass boat tournaments are like this, but I've certainly had the displeasure of meeting more that fit this bill than not. The other day on Green River Lake, I was kayak fishing a (particularly large) mouth that split into about 3 different coves that a bass boat team was fishing. I made sure to keep a wide distance between me and them, and even fished the opposite bank. About 15 minutes into my fishing time there, they fired up their engine, buzzed me at about 50 mph, with a middle finger pointed in my face. I'm sorry, I forgot to check the book to see they had reserved the cove for the night. Speaking of Major EYEROLL.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post, but frankly, I dont care if I do. The community of kayak anglers that I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with have, as a whole, been much more upstanding, conservation aware, and overall more considerate than the vast majority of those I have met who participate in bass boat tournaments on lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, theses tournaments are probably a BENEFIT to the rivers and creeks they are in, as opposed to a detriment, as you seem to think they are.

Need more proof? Take a couple of minutes to read through this thread on Riverbassin.com, the home website of the riverbassin tournament trail

http://riverbassin.com/forum/showthr...August-Edition

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say it again... Tournaments on the creeks now??? MAJOR EYEROLL!

Here's a good spin for your creek tournament... Have a fishing tournament winner and a trash collection winner. Whoever weighs in the heaviest bag of garbage at the end of the day wins $50! I can't stand seeing all that trash in our local creeks!!! And you'll pick up quite a bit in Elkhorn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smljaw View Post
    I'll say it again... Tournaments on the creeks now??? MAJOR EYEROLL!

Here's a good spin for your creek tournament... Have a fishing tournament winner and a trash collection winner. Whoever weighs in the heaviest bag of garbage at the end of the day wins $50! I can't stand seeing all that trash in our local creeks!!! And you'll pick up quite a bit in Elkhorn.
    LOL @ smljaw, good idea brother. I have packed more garbage out of Elkhorn then you can shake a stick at...

Yea just what we need a bunch of tournaments on small creeks, thats a great idea.............................................. ...FLIPPIN EYEROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Post Thanks / Like

When the water is down at Nolin i have seen a v8 block,a boat not too mention all the tires