Search Fishin.com

Thread: Inflatable PFDs

Post Thanks / Like

Inflatable PFDs

There was a post, and much discussion, several days ago about the wear of Inflatable PFDs. Several people stated that they had been told by Fish and Wildlife personnel, that ALL Inflatable PFDs (manual and automatic) must be worn at all times while on the water or there must be a regular PFD readily available. While I fully agree that we should all wear our PFD at all times while on the water, the information about ALL (and I stress the all again) Inflatable PFDs being legal ONLY WHEN WORN is simply wrong.

Anyone with an Inflatable PFD should check the label and see what Coast Guard classification of the PFD is. It will be TYPE I, II, III, IV or V and if it must be worn at all times, it will say so, e.g. TYPE III ONLY WHEN WORN. If it does not have that caveat, then it is not required to have an regular PFD available to take off that PFD while on the water.

We went through this several years ago with (then ) LT Mike Fields and it was determined that not All inflatables must be worn at all times to be legal. It depends on the Coast Guard rating. Page 41 of the KY Fishing and Boating guide states:

"In order for PFDs to be legal, the following requirements must be met: "• Coast Guard approved: A label with an approval number will be on the PFD. Check the label on inflatable types of PFDs. Some older models meet Coast Guard approval only when worn."

With at in mind, I emailed KY Fish and Wildlife concerning this and here is the reply:

Subject: RE: Personal Floatation Devices

Most Inflatable PFD’s manufactured in the last few years do not have to be worn to be counted towards carriage requirements.

Another memo about this has been sent to the officers in the field.

Captain Mike Fields
    Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    Division of Law Enforcement
    #1 Sportsman's Ln
    Frankfort Ky 40601

The bottom line is check your own PERSONAL Floatation Device AND WEAR IT.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inflatable PFDs

Thanks for the info Grumpy. Haven't seen you in a while. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info,i was wearing a mustang auto and read its not for white water so i wasn't legal with it even on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I was just wondering about you my friend........Nice to read you posting.