Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fly Tying

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fly Tying

I'm thinking of tying my own flies. I have made my own bass poppers but have never tried tying a fly. Looks simple, and best of all cheap. Is it worth it? Has anyone done it themselves?
    Rico

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Tying

Quote Originally Posted by Rico13 View Post
    I'm thinking of tying my own flies. I have made my own bass poppers but have never tried tying a fly. Looks simple, and best of all cheap. Is it worth it? Has anyone done it themselves?
    Rico
    Pretty much everyone on here ties their own flies....we have had some good discussions about fly tying in the past. I would recommend you looking into the archives a little to see some of them.

The best way to get started IMO is to buy a beginner fly tying kit...should come with a vise, basic materials, tools, hooks, and instructions. That will get you started on tying your basics...like the "richyd4u" approved BH Pheasant tail!

Tying your own flies is the only way to go IMO. Buying flies gets expensive! Plus, I love to add my own touches to flies, and tinker around with them to see what works best with the fish. It is very rewarding to catch fish on your own flies...especially when they are something that you created. I highly suggest it!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I don't 100% agree with the cheap part. I could have bought a boatload of flies for the amount of money I have in tying gear. I do it more for the hobby than fishing, which keeps justifying yet another order from Feather Craft

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I think I'll try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I don't 100% agree with the cheap part. I could have bought a boatload of flies for the amount of money I have in tying gear. I do it more for the hobby than fishing, which keeps justifying yet another order from Feather Craft
    Really...Fly tying equipment is a one time cost, and should last you forever if you don't abuse it. Materials also last you years....Saddle hackle, pheasant tails, peacock herl, wire...all that stuff lasts FOREVER! I still have peacock herl from when I was 16! The only cost that will get you if you tie a lot is the cost of hooks and beadheads...and in that case, I suggest you look for discounted stuff. Even then, you can buy 100 hooks at certain places for like 6 bucks. If you visit a fly shop out west, you can expect to pay anywhere from 3-6 bucks a FLY!!! It is definitely cheaper to tie your own IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE fly tying and spending money on it doesn't bother me. There's always some new synthetic material to try, and of course I have to buy one of every color just in case

Post Thanks / Like

With my tying skills lacking, the qulity of my flies and the overall cost for me personally, it probably cost me more to tie my own, but I still have a good time doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Fly Tying

It's an enjoyable pass time and very pleasing when a fish wallops a fly you made yourself. You can go as expensive or as economical as you want. There's a lady on the net that makes excellent hand-tied flies and they are really hand-tied. She doesn't use a vise or other equipment.

I get a lot of my rubber, feathers, beads, etc. at craft stores for a lot less than you'd pay at a fly shop.

There are hundreds of fly tying sites on the web that give excellent instruction as well as you tube videos on tying. Hatches Magazine and others have good libraries on individual flies and how to tie. If you like fly fishing, you'll most likely lite the tying too.

Post Thanks / Like

With fall coming, you also get a lot of dubbing fur, squirrel tails, buck tail and assorted feathers from you hunting buddies and/or road kill. Just a thought.