Search Fishin.com

Thread: CR 8/27/11

Post Thanks / Like

CR 8/27/11

After striper fishing in the am, I swung down my the dam to fish the CR a little. The water was to high to FF IMO, but I gave it a try none the less. There was some surface activity, but it was way out in the middle...I worked the shoreline as far out as I could get from the bank, with no success. I went down and fished the convergence of Hatchery and the CR with no success as well. Water felt nice and cold, which made me happy to see....definitely cold enough for healthy trout. I wish they would drop it down to just the sluice gate like they used to....prime FF levels. Oh well.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CR 8/27/11

I've fished the CR every other weekend for the past 3 months. They went to the sluice 2 weeks ago and the trout fishing has really slowed down. We were having 50-100 fish days, and since it has gone to 20 fish days.

Since the dam work I've really gotten into fishing the swift water with sink-tips and streamers from the dam to Ray Mann Rd. But I will say the sluice *****. When they turn that thing on it really stains the water from the dam well past Helms. Not to mention wherever the gate is on the dam, it doesn't **** the shad through like the generators.

Give me 3K-6K with no sluice and I'm happier than a pig in a big pool of chunky brown trout.

Post Thanks / Like

And Yo did not call Your Brother ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    And Yo did not call Your Brother ???
    Haha...it was a split decision trip Rocky...you know I would have given ya a ring otherwise!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I've fished the CR every other weekend for the past 3 months. They went to the sluice 2 weeks ago and the trout fishing has really slowed down. We were having 50-100 fish days, and since it has gone to 20 fish days.

Since the dam work I've really gotten into fishing the swift water with sink-tips and streamers from the dam to Ray Mann Rd. But I will say the sluice *****. When they turn that thing on it really stains the water from the dam well past Helms. Not to mention wherever the gate is on the dam, it doesn't **** the shad through like the generators.

Give me 3K-6K with no sluice and I'm happier than a pig in a big pool of chunky brown trout.
    Now your getting the hang of it! Go with the flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Now your getting the hang of it! Go with the flow.

Give me 540 flow and I will drive down there and I will rarely go anywhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Give me 540 flow and I will drive down there and I will rarely go anywhere else!
    540 is a fly fisherman's paradise on CR!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you have been watching the local (LC) weather, but we have recieved 3 1/2 - to 4 inches of rain in the last couple of days. Just a matter of time before Wolf Creek Dam opens up and the flow/wading goes south for awhile! But stayed tuned, hopefully, we will still get in some quality wading time this fall...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Don't know if you have been watching the local (LC) weather, but we have recieved 3 1/2 - to 4 inches of rain in the last couple of days. Just a matter of time before Wolf Creek Dam opens up and the flow/wading goes south for awhile! But stayed tuned, hopefully, we will still get in some quality wading time this fall...
    I'm well aware as I've been watching the rain fall all day...don't believe I will see 540 before we move. Oh well, I have many wonderful memories of the glorious CR days when I used to catch one 20+" spawner bow/brown after another on HC...then slip down to the main river and catch fish all day! Good times...

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I'm well aware as I've been watching the rain fall all day...don't believe I will see 540 before we move. Oh well, I have many wonderful memories of the glorious CR days when I used to catch one 20+" spawner bow/brown after another on HC...then slip down to the main river and catch fish all day! Good times...

-Rich
    Oh well RichieD sorry to hear that for you. I doubt you'll see it also. Yet the prolong periods of the low flow can't be good. Bring back the days of a few hours a day of low flow then let the water rip and watch the wader fishermen head for higher ground. No offense to you guys yet those were the best days of the CR and man those trout would turn on!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a free day tomorrow (9/17) and might head to the CR for my first time ever. Any of you guys be down there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pflyer View Post
    I have a free day tomorrow (9/17) and might head to the CR for my first time ever. Any of you guys be down there?
    I'll be down there next weekend.