Search Fishin.com

Thread: Rough Report

Post Thanks / Like

Rough Report

Went to rough river this weekend. Bass fishing was slow. The bass that we did catch were on crankbaits. On the other hand crappie fishing was on FIRE! In two days we had around 150 and we had 32 keepers monday. Caught all of them in 15-20 feet of water straight lining a minnow 10-12 foot deep. Fishing in general was above average for the time of year that it is. We caught every species catchable in that lake besides a hybrid believe it or not. We had a carp, buffalo, gar, perch, catfish, multiple spots and largemouth, a few bluegill and massive amounts of crappie. If the size limit was 8 inches there wouldn't have been many crappie left in that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rough Report

I agree on the 8" fish. I put in at north fork and went back to clamise creek and it was nice saturday morning but we ran out of minnows so pulled out got more minnows and put back in at axtel Well long story short I was the only person in a jon boat and i had never seen so many boats at one time in my life. The water was one wave about 3 to 4 ' high and I think they were trying to play chicken with me LOL.
    I have never seen so many people on rough in my life. I could only imagine what it will be like this week end. They can have it for now I'm going dove hunting and when they start droping the water down and all the week enders are pretty much gone I'll be back..

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Rough Report

Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    I agree on the 8" fish. I put in at north fork and went back to clamise creek and it was nice saturday morning but we ran out of minnows so pulled out got more minnows and put back in at axtel Well long story short I was the only person in a jon boat and i had never seen so many boats at one time in my life. The water was one wave about 3 to 4 ' high and I think they were trying to play chicken with me LOL.
    I have never seen so many people on rough in my life. I could only imagine what it will be like this week end. They can have it for now I'm going dove hunting and when they start droping the water down and all the week enders are pretty much gone I'll be back..
    I almost got Sea Sick, I wasn't as lucky as you guys but had fun, Fished Sunday and Monday morning. 4 small Bass and didn't realize the Crappie were on fire till we left, a guy gave me about 25 nice ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may be a taboo question but I'm going for it anyway...b/c I'll help out a fellow angler and hope ya'll do too.

I'm heading to Rough this weekend...yeah, Labor Day weekend. I really don't want to take my boat b/c I know it will be heavy traffic but my uncle, who owns the cabin and the one who invited us, wants me to bring it. Today he mentioned he wants to crappie fish and if I know how. Well, actually, apart from pond fishing when I was 10, I have no idea how to fish for crappie on a big lake.

So here's my question: Can anyone share a hot spot for crappie? I think we are staying on Cabin Creek IIRC...not too far from the island. I know nothing about the lake. He says "find a brushpile"...ok......easier said than done.

Posts above said 10-12 foot of water.....so slip bobbers then right? Or just straightlining down? He doesn't have a lot of patience so I'm hoping they hit good. It's actually good that I looked up and here this thread is today. He and some friends caught 120 last weekend on Nolin.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should say we are staying at Cave Creek....dunno why it won't let me edit my post.

Post Thanks / Like

if you come out of cave creek and turn right there should be a cove a little less than a mile down on your left. i've never fished there but i saw a few guys pulling some crappie out of there. we caught them on bobbers and strait lining this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Rough Report

Fishinfreak and me did do great on Rough last weekend. Almost a perfect weekend!!!!