Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New tying vice and a fly question

Finally spent the money on a good vice. Got the Peak rotary vice with the pedestal vice. Finally have a rotary vice and a thread with a bobbin cradle.

I decided to tie a couple of flies this morning just to break it in. I ended up tying some black Wooly Buggers, but put barbell eyes on them, Clouser style. Anybody ever tried a Bugger like this? I think it should work, but I guess the fish will tell me for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New tying vice and a fly question

that is my goto fly for all occasions... add alittle flash and some legs and i guarantee the bass will hit... i tie it in different colors but you can't beat black, i tie a few different sizes, 8-10s work best for me, ive caught 5-6lbs smallmouth on them, a few not much bigger then the fly, and everything in between, definitely produces... bounce it off the bottom... stop and start retrieve...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Finally spent the money on a good vice. Got the Peak rotary vice with the pedestal vice. Finally have a rotary vice and a thread with a bobbin cradle.

I decided to tie a couple of flies this morning just to break it in. I ended up tying some black Wooly Buggers, but put barbell eyes on them, Clouser style. Anybody ever tried a Bugger like this? I think it should work, but I guess the fish will tell me for sure.
    I used to tie a lot of buggers with the barbells....always had good luck on them out on the pontoons. Congrats on the new vise by the way!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PHdryfly View Post
    that is my goto fly for all occasions... add alittle flash and some legs and i guarantee the bass will hit... i tie it in different colors but you can't beat black, i tie a few different sizes, 8-10s work best for me, ive caught 5-6lbs smallmouth on them, a few not much bigger then the fly, and everything in between, definitely produces... bounce it off the bottom... stop and start retrieve...
    What do you use to add flash and legs? Could I just tie in a strand or two of flashabou?

Post Thanks / Like

yes alittle flashobou or shiny strands not too much, and rubber legs (should be able to get them at any fly shop), i use the black ones with a bit of red speckle in them, tie them under the barbell or space them down the shank...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PHdryfly View Post
    yes alittle flashobou or shiny strands not too much, and rubber legs (should be able to get them at any fly shop), i use the black ones with a bit of red speckle in them, tie them under the barbell or space them down the shank...
    I just got my hands on some living rubber and some worm rattles rom my cousin who is a tournamen guy and makes his own lures. Anybody got some ideas on how I can play mad scientist with this?

Post Thanks / Like

One simple thing to do with the rattles; put them inside some mylar on zonkers or any other fly with a mylar belly. After tying them to the hook shank I like to put a solid coat of 5-minute epoxy over the rattles for much needed durability, then slide the tubing over and secure it. So many possibilities with the living rubber. Oh yeah, saw a great article in American Angler or Fly Fisherman about weighted belly streamers that zig zag when you strip em' that utilized rattles in some of them. If you want to check it out I would be happy to give you the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy way to attach the glass rattles in a nearly indestructible way; Get some small black rubber tubing of slightly larger diamter than your rattles, insert rattles, heat the rubber around the rattle, tie on the tubing wherever you want it on the fly. Easy and tough. You can even cut off most of the tubing before or after the rattle to make lashing smaller/ easier.