Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

B&B for Fisherman...Lake Cumberland?

Been thinking of opening a bed and breakfast for fisherman on Lake Cumberland. 10 miles or less from; Halcolms Landing and State Dock on LC, Wolf Creek Dam (Kendell & Indian Creek), Helms Landing and a little bit more to Wenfeys Landing on the Cumberland River. Full service including trailer parking and electrical hookup for your boat.

So, what do you fellows think,....would you use it?

Thanks in advance for you "honest replies".
    Last edited by FlyLie; 09-03-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: B&B for Fisherman...Lake Cumberland?

I think you would be hard pressed to make a profit by targeting fishermen as your main clients. Maybe you already own the property and accommodations, which would help, but building something from the ground up financing it all may be another story. When I go on a fishing trip it is just that fishing from daylight to dark and all I pretty much want is clean accommodations to shower sleep and eat. Seems to me but like most all other lodging around lakes, you would need to make the majority of your money from memorial day to labor day. No disrespect, but I personally could not afford BB rates on a fishing trip based on the number of hours I am there versus on the water. Grant it my wallet is not as fat ad others, but even when money was not a big issue a couple of years ago I would spend less on lodging to justify spending more on tackle. Good luck in your venture and hope you make millions

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Elnut, appreciate the input. Looking forward to more coments from LC fisherman!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    I think you would be hard pressed to make a profit by targeting fishermen as your main clients. Maybe you already own the property and accommodations, which would help, but building something from the ground up financing it all may be another story. When I go on a fishing trip it is just that fishing from daylight to dark and all I pretty much want is clean accommodations to shower sleep and eat. Seems to me but like most all other lodging around lakes, you would need to make the majority of your money from memorial day to labor day. No disrespect, but I personally could not afford BB rates on a fishing trip based on the number of hours I am there versus on the water. Grant it my wallet is not as fat ad others, but even when money was not a big issue a couple of years ago I would spend less on lodging to justify spending more on tackle. Good luck in your venture and hope you make millions
    You got me thinking!! If I called it a LODGE and offered GUIDE SERVICE aka OUTFITTER CLASS SERVICE, would that sell better???
    Last edited by FlyLie; 09-05-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: U

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may need different options/packages to maximize your profits. I have thought a guide service that offers a package that included lodging and meals would be a good thing for the clients that want to show up with their clothes and worry about nothing else would work for a percentage. But I think you will need to diversify the packages for those that are looking for a basic place to sleep and shower to top of the line packages both fishermen and boaters could both afford. Again depends on your initial investment and what your goals are long term

Post Thanks / Like

The package idea would be the only way to go. Bait, tackle, and top notch reports would do as much to bring in business as anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I'll take them down the river! You can book me for the last weekend in April as camping is just to much work when we come to the CR to fish for days. Like "elnutsmalljaws" I spend so much time fishing last thing i want to do is a bunch of camp chores.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I personally would use you sometimes if the price was right. There needs to be something in that area anyway. Target everyone though.

Offer off season rates as everybody else down there does. Be slightly cheaper than the next guy and you will get more business. Open early and offer a breakfast buffet, nothing crazy, just the basics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Yes, I personally would use you sometimes if the price was right. There needs to be something in that area anyway. Target everyone though.

Offer off season rates as everybody else down there does. Be slightly cheaper than the next guy and you will get more business. Open early and offer a breakfast buffet, nothing crazy, just the basics.
    Cook breakfast to order. I like my egg's looking at me.

Post Thanks / Like

With the economy tanked I'm not sure I would sink my main nest egg in such a venture. No one knows what the economy will do the next several years. If you already have the land and property where you can get out if it doesn't make it without loosing a lot of money it might be worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

One more voice regarding the minimal amount of time that would be spent at the facility. Normally fish from first light till sometime late in the evening. Suspect that is fairly normal for most fishermen. Since I come from Louisville, my normal stay is in the Jamestown area. If the cabins are booked up, we normally stay just a couple of miles up from the cabins (not naming names). They include a place for RV hookups, not a bad idea but brings much more to your table. Dam area is not inconvenient for Louisville fishermen, so that part is good.

Every once in a while I hear about a small marina coming to Rowena. Seems out of line since Grider Hill is a stones throw away, and State Park already has one but something to look into/ consider (services provided). I would certainly patronize the place if the price was right (=/<$80 per night).

It would be an awesome location. If you go for it, I wish you the best of luck. Keep the discussion board updated ...... through Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Been thinking of opening a bed and breakfast for fisherman on Lake Cumberland. 10 miles or less from; Halcolms Landing and State Dock on LC, Wolf Creek Dam (Kendell & Indian Creek), Helms Landing and a little bit more to Wenfeys Landing on the Cumberland River. Full service including trailer parking and electrical hookup for your boat.

So, what do you fellows think,....would you use it?

Thanks in advance for you "honest replies".
    lived in somerset for 7yrs. i think this would be a tough sell (sorry). fishing and the boating industry generally has taken a downturn with the economy issues. folks just have less to spend on recreation, couple that with higher gas prices and i am honestly surprised anybody is fishing. another issue is cumberland itself. what would you guide for? stripers are about the biggest draw for out of town fishing and you would be competing wtih pre established guides. bass fishing is hit or miss with spring and late fall/winter being good but tough otherwise. not sure that you would have business for folks to come, trailer a boat and hang out with you for 3,5,7 days and fish. i dont mean to be negative but cumberland is not a "premier" destination for someone to put that kinda money into for a trip. i love cumberland but i would think hard about that sort of endeavor as others have already noted. i believe someone tried this at cedar creek and it failed, so there may be some experience out there to tap into. best of luck to you and i think wise to poll folks on this site.