Search Fishin.com

Thread: Swimbait Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Swimbait Advice

Hey Guys I am new to swimbait fishing. When is the best time to fish a swimbait? What colors would you recommend? If I am fishing a 3" swimbait should I still use a 5 aut hook? Is the money minnow any good?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swimbait Advice

They all work at the right time. I use the Hollow baits when the water is cold because they have more action. I like the Solid baits more right now and in clear water. Hook size the bigger the better as long as it doesn't kill the action of the bait. The hook is like frog fishing WAIT until the rod loads up and you will boat more fish. GET THE NET

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNinKY View Post
    They all work at the right time. I use the Hollow baits when the water is cold because they have more action. I like the Solid baits more right now and in clear water. Hook size the bigger the better as long as it doesn't kill the action of the bait. The hook is like frog fishing WAIT until the rod loads up and you will boat more fish. GET THE NET
    Just curious, you said you use the hollow body swimbaits in colder water becuase the hollow bait has more action. Wouldn't you want less action in colder water? Of course it depends on what you mean by colder water, if you mean colder waters opposed to summertime highs of 80+ degree water then I understand. But if you're meaning like 55 degrees and cooler then I don't understand, I would think in cold water you want less action since the fish are more lethargic and less likely to chase something down that has alot of action, since in cold water most creatures aren't moving too much or too fast. Just some thoughts and questions, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am fairly new to swim baits however I fish them when the fish are up in spring and fall. I like the bait called the Hammer and I fish it with exposed jig hook made for this bait I prefer the 4 inch bait. The bite is different you are swimming the bait and your rod just loads up. Occasionaly you will get a hard hit.

This has been a great bait on Dale Hoolow this spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring and Fall. Cold water I'm Float and Fly. and it works for me. I fish swimbaits alot and do pretty good with them I also do not do what every one else is doing at the time I try to show them something different.

Post Thanks / Like

I think roadrunner is referring to Big Hammer swimbaits. I agree that they catch fish! My biggest 'KY swimbait bass' came on a 5" Big Hammer. These are not meant to fish in or around cover though. The exposed jighead hook will hang you up real quick. The Big Hammer soft swimbaits and jigheads are both quality!

The Money Minnow is probably my favorite hollow body. The Owner Beast hook fits it like a glove and makes it super weedless... Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The swim bait works good for me when the fish is suspended,,i fish it a little diffrent than most probally..
    I rip it through the water pretty fast and then kill it and rip it again..i have fished it like swimming a jig too.
    You can catch fish on a swim bait anytime,it really depends on how you fish it and the confidence you have when you are using it!
    This is my favorite time to use it now,,i use the little 4 inch calcutta's colored in the blue shad and the shad green.
    I throw them longways and horizontial along the deep rock bluffs where the fish is suspended around 12 ft or more.the spots usally eat it up this time of year fishing it ths way,,but you do catch everything on it thats for sure..one more reminder the strike is very weird,,you will be fishing it and then all of a sudden you fill your pole load and he my be there or he may not be..thats just the way it is for me may be diffrent for everybody else,,but i love the swimbait anytime..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys. Main thing is I guess I have to fish it and develop the confidence. I hope I can help you guys out.