Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Illinois launches Asian carp anti-hunger program

Illinois thinks they may have the answer for Asian Carp. Clip on the link below for more info. One of the people interviewed said he would not eat them. Hmmm.... must not be very hungry. It could get to where he would be thrilled to have a chance at a can of carp.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20109971.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Illinois launches Asian carp anti-hunger program

I love the reactions of the "unemployeed banker"... I say let him starve.... Dan

Post Thanks / Like

KY Afield did an episode on this not too long ago. Farmer was bowfishing, if I'm not mistaken, and brought a big boy back to the house & smoked it. They said it tasted good...

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome. I had the same idea only I thought about it on a global level. Have the US F&W service work with state agencies and electroshock all of the rivers the bigheads are found in. They could have barges with ice follow the shocking boats to keep the fish fresh. I'm not sure how easy or economical this idea is but it would help get rid of the carp and feed the world!

Post Thanks / Like

There is alot of use's for the fish I'm sure and if anyone could get it off the ground they would make a fortune and probably some friends too.
    You know I give it alot of thought as how to catch them and not hurt native fish or leave as little impact as posable but for now I will keep it to my self..

HURRICANEBOB Guest

From the title I thought we were talking about feeding hungry carp.

This makes sense, turning a menace into a food source.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think that setting up regional processing plants to gut and clean then ice them or freeze them for shipment to a fish canning plant would be a possibility. Can them like you do salmon or mackerel so they could be eaten bones and all. Of course that means you have to develop some method to harvest them on a commercial scale. If this would work long term, it would certainly offset some of the expense of trying to control them in other ways and put some people back to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Dry the flesh and bones and grind it up and use it as some kind of protein powder additive type stuff.

You may never see carp fillets in the freezer case at the grocery store but you might see the fish meal additive in everyday products.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some show or other on tv where commercial fishermen were using gill-nets for them. I think it may have been Dirty Jobs, but it has been a year or more, so I am not 100% certain which program it was. But, the guys caught tons of them.
    But, apparently not enough...

Post Thanks / Like

I can see why some people may be apprehensive about eating Asian carp. Just because Tim Farmer eats it doesn't make it good, I think Tim would eat anything and find it delicious.

I think Jessica Simpsom should can the Asian Carp and market it as "Chicken of the Sea".

I can't see why a cat food company hasn't jump on the wagon and use it in their canned cat food. There is surely an ample supply to make it profitable and it would help our lakes and river in keeping them in check.

I can see Asian Carp being sold at Jungle Jim's Market.

There seems to be an endless potential for making a profit and helping our enviroment in the process.

I am sure many of you out there have good ideas about the Asian Carp issue..what are they?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=wags;469349]
    I think Jessica Simpsom should can the Asian Carp and market it as "Chicken of the Sea".
    QUOTE]

LOL forgot about that one!

Maybe turn it into fish food? Fish Meal?

Fertilizer?

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Tom Monsoor own some kind of business that deals with carp catching them and using them for fertilizer and other needs? I thought I heard that on one of the FLW tournaments he was in.